Has anyone changed ceiling light to operate via two way wall switches (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We have been staying in our moho on the drive for the last couple of nights (bought it in Nov last year, so havent used it too much)
One of the things we have identified as 'needing' changing, is the way the ceiling light over the bed operates. At the moment you have to get out of bed and reach up to switch it on or off.

i have decided to change it to operate by using 2 two way switches, one near the bed head and one on the wall as you get near to the 'bedroom' area. I know its not the most important of jobs but it would make life easier ......

I have located where the wires are fed through the ceiling and have a set of cable rods so i can feed cables through, so its just time and patience plus about £7 in materials (2 switches and cable)

Has anyone else done this, any advice they can give please? (other than 'dont be so bloody lazy and get out of bed to turn it off LOL') - it is going to be done !!!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Never done it but it should be easy enough if you can get a cable through, do you have a wiring diagram?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Never done it but it should be easy enough if you can get a cable through, do you have a wiring diagram?

yes, i have been doing my youtubing and google research for the correct way to wire it and have removed the ceiling light to help trace the wires !

thanks for the confidence boost LOL

it just seems strange that it wasnt wired like that originally - it was my wifes idea to change it, she made a casual remark, 'why isnt there a switch by the bedhead to turn the light off' ...... i hadnt even noticed or was bothered !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Do you have a diagram for a MOHO? I'm sure a domestic 2 way is wired very differently

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
in principle they are the same

one live in to number 1 switch
2 links between the two switches
one live out to the load from number 2 switch

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to wire them like they would be in a house you need three cables going to each switch and both switches need to be double pole.
A simple solution would be to add your switch by the bed in series with the one on the wall. You could use this to turn it off but in the morning you would have to remember to turn it on before getting up then turn it off at the wall. :)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Yes but, in domestic line goes to the lamp then down to the switch and back to to the light. On a MOHO the live will go to the switch first and then to the light. Not difficult to do but a bit different.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
like these?

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
From experience I would suggest that you need a more substantial switch. I used one of these and it only lasted a couple of weeks! You might consider the CBE range as 1) they might well match your existing switches and, 2) there is a Double Throw version available in the range.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=332143919810

i have just had another look and the 12v switches i currently have are all round ones, similar to the ebay ones.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i just fitted a led lamp that was turned on and off with a remote

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What about all the other lights in the van?
Our low level night courtesy lights have 2 way switching but there are lights in the van controlled by 5 other switches, lost count of the amount of times I've had to get out of bed to turn one off. :cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
way too much messing about, simply fit a simple remote at the light feed, about £3 on ebay. If you want to go fancy convert to colour changing and dimming LEDs all on a simple remote

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The switches you require are two way single pole, not double pole as you don't need to switch the neutral. You can wire it with the feed into the first switch and link the switches with a twin core wire and then take the switch line to the light. Or you can use a three core between the switches and put the feed into one switch and take the switch line from the same switch. Connect the feed and switch line onto the two wires called (strappers). Use which ever is most convenient.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you are looking for round switches like the cbe ones, you need to look for a berker stockist

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

if i was starting from scratch that might be the answer, but i already have a ceiling light fitted with nowhere to put a relay like that. plus i want to be able to turn it on as you enter the bedroom area and then turn it off at the bedhead, hence the need for two 2 way switches !

in using the small round switches it will keep it similar to other switches plus if they do need removing, its easy to blank off any hole with some sort of grommet used by kitchen fitters (or i will pinch them from high level cupboards, where they cant be seen during day to day use) !

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
the original switch could stay.....if you could squeeze the relay behind the light fitting. (Match box size, smaller if left out of the case)

it would mean you had to have the wall switch on....but then switch the remote off from bed

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
the original switch could stay.....if you could squeeze the relay behind the light fitting. (Match box size, smaller if left out of the case)

it would mean you had to have the wall switch on....but then switch the remote off from bed
its a solution i suppose, thanks

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Obviously the matching double Switches and the strapper between them is the best option....just a bit of a faf....mind saying that we have plenty of time at the minute

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Remote kits off eBay are simple and cheap. One switch is the remote supplied. You can wire true 2-way (ON and OFF from either switch) very simply and with no additional wires. I can supply details if you're interested. Cost is under a tenner.

I have a pair of lights in the bedroom that are needed whenever access to a locker or wardrobe is required. It's a central bed and the switch is at one side above the bedhead. So to access lockers or wardrobe on the other side meant going to the switch then moving round the bed foot to get to the other. I couldn't wire a switch in any sensible position because of sliding doors. Now we simply have the remote stuck to one sliding door with double-sided tape.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why not share it anyway....it may help others too. ??
I used one of these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=164086462987

The receiver I tucked behind the existing light switch. It has a changeover relay (a contact that moves between two others) that electrically is the same as the existing light switch. It is wired to the existing switch exactly as if it was a two way switch - the difference being that is is inches away so no wiring difficulties. It does need a 12v supply - there was one passing the existing switch position in my case. Mount the remote wherever you need your other switch, follow the instructions that come with the kit so the first button press operates the relay & the next releases it .............. and that's it. A diagram of the connections is available if needed.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Remote kits off eBay are simple and cheap. One switch is the remote supplied. You can wire true 2-way (ON and OFF from either switch) very simply and with no additional wires. I can supply details if you're interested. Cost is under a tenner.

I have a pair of lights in the bedroom that are needed whenever access to a locker or wardrobe is required. It's a central bed and the switch is at one side above the bedhead. So to access lockers or wardrobe on the other side meant going to the switch then moving round the bed foot to get to the other. I couldn't wire a switch in any sensible position because of sliding doors. Now we simply have the remote stuck to one sliding door with double-sided tape.

Drawing now attached:

Drawing1.jpg

This is also (if you ignore the name "relay unit") a standard 2W switch wiring drawing. These relay units are dirt cheap & have many uses once you're familiar with them. They're available up to, IIRC, 12 way (12 relays & 12 buttons on the remote)

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
All done and working, now just need to get the boss to decide where she wants the switches - i left the original switch on the light fitting itself (switched to on) as it would have looked odd if i had removed it. It wasnt the most important job or modification i have done but its one of those things that was nagging me .... why they didnt put two way switches in originally for the sake of less than a tenners worth of 'bits' ?? its a champagne fix for the price of lemonade ie totally unnecessary but really nice to have !!

Problem is as soon as i do i job, i think of another one to do ......

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Photos of switches in situ, they match the other switches in the Motorhome suit looks like the new ones were installed when built

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions

20200505_151822.jpg
20200505_151811.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back