SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Busy planning our trip for next September. Ferry booked from Portsmouth-Caen and going to drive down to Spain. Really fancy calling in at Lourdes and will probably stay for a night. Anyone used the aire or stayed on any of the campsites? We will have an acsi card. Thanks in advance x

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Went there several years ago and I have never seen such a huge collection of tasteless tat as there was in shop after shop.
Light up plastic statues of every shape and size imaginable, made Blackpool sea front look high class.
Been there several times since but just drove round to get to the mountains.

Oh, I was bought up as a Catholic and went to a Catholic school so nothing against the religious side but Lourdes did nothing for me.

Keep going south to Argèles-Gazost and get up in those hills. (y):D

Richard.

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
Hi we called a couple of years ago parked up on large coach park just outside the town I think you can find it on camper contact

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Went there several years ago and I have never seen such a huge collection of tasteless tat as there was in shop after shop.
Light up plastic statues of every shape and size imaginable, made Blackpool sea front look high class.

Oh, I was bought up as a Catholic and went to a Catholic school so nothing against the religious side but Lourdes did nothing for me.

Richard.

Thanks I get what you are saying but as we are practically passing thought it was worth a look. Might just call in for the day then if it is that bad although a light up statue on my dashboard sounds ok :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We've been and would agree with the tat shops, but they in themselves are a reason to go - we are non believers so not upset by it - just astounded there can be so many.

A walk down to the Grotto is also an incredible experience. A huge Basilica above it with enormous avenues leading down to a tiny cave where the vision supposedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous. The rock has been polished to a shiny granite by the millions of hands that have touched it on the way through and when a couple of drops of water appear from the crack behind the statue of The Virgin Mary the queue is held up by those desperate to catch it.

There is a wall full of push button taps dispensing 'holy' water and an avenue of fire pits to hold the thousands of candles that are lit - some are candle shaped, others in the shape of different body parts that people buy to light in the hope of a miracle cure ......

There is also The Gift Shop of The Immaculate Conception etc etc etc. I could go on and on, but just visit yourself to get the full effect!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

We thought it seemed like Disneyland for catholics. They obviously get hundreds of thousand visitors every year but nothing but tat shops, mostly selling holy water ------ by the gallon! I can't imagine who does all the blessing of the water but he's a busy man!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
As Clarkey says, nothing but tasteless tat. However when my sister was ill with MS she made the pilgrimage and it made her feel better so that was worth the trip for her.
What made the trip for us was that my wife was the doctor for the Poor Clares convent in York and when we told them we were going they asked if we could take a bottle of rhubarb wine to the convent in Lourdes, which we did and they welcomed us with open arms it made it a bit special

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived, just for a short while, about 90 minutes drive from Lourdes. Yes, the shops might make it look like Blackpool with religion but you have to admire the faith that built the beautiful church, the huge square, statues etc. 1000s visit each year but if you have a long term illness, maybe a condition that causes you to be housebound and rather isolated, frequently unwell imagine how uplifting it is to have a week's trip to a place with other people to chat to. Meals together, young helpers who'll fetch candles, or a bottle of water. I did see an tremendous lot of happy smiling wheelchair users. You have to admire the teenagers who go as helpers, saw them in 42c heat fetching and carrying and sitting in the cafes talking to the people they were helping. Even if you're not at all religious I'm sure you'll find part of Lourdes enjoyable.
Enjoy your visit.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I went through there on my way home last year,, Got out the van, had a walk round,,,,

When I got back to the van My tap stopped leaking!!!! A bloody miracle!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Richard.

We thought it seemed like Disneyland for catholics. They obviously get hundreds of thousand visitors every year but nothing but tat shops, mostly selling holy water ------ by the gallon! I can't imagine who does all the blessing of the water but he's a busy man!
Doesn't sound like it's changed since we went there in 1980.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many, many, many, many, many years ago my brother and I did a backpacking trip in the Pyrenees above Lourdes.
That's me on the right aged 25 or thereabouts. Moleskin plus fours, leather boots and matching shirts - but this was in the days before internet shopping in our defence. :)

And yes, the religious tat at Lourdes is worth seeing!

The hill between us is the Vignemale. 3298m* - and no, we didn't do that one. :)

9 LAL & RJL Petit Vignemale.JPG

*possibly 3299m when the photo was taken. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I'm not Catholic or religious I just think I would like to see it for myself as it sounds like an experience. I'm going to definitely call in as it sounds different! I might not stay unless any of you can recommend any campsites within walking distance. Thanks for all your replies so far though (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A point worth bearing in mind is there are two sides to the Pyrenees. The wet side is the bit owned by France. The dry side is owned by Spain. So if it is raining when you get near Lourdes you know where to go. :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm not Catholic or religious I just think I would like to see it for myself as it sounds like an experience. I'm going to definitely call in as it sounds different! I might not stay unless any of you can recommend any campsites within walking distance. Thanks for all your replies so far though (y)

Pretty sure you won’t find any campsites within walking distance, unless your prepared to walk quite a few miles, I didn’t have any problem parking my Hymer, as long as you get in early.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We visited and agree with others overpriced yes, but I suppose if your believers you have to make your own mind up, we also visited Fatima and preferred it there, ;) probably because we like Portugal. :LOL:
It was an eye opener, seeing people spend €100 on a candle and burn it. :rolleyes: :D2 Bob.

Ps you can park over night at both, we never stayed at Lourdes the place is full of beggars, Fatima was fine. (y)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I stayed at Camping_la_Foret an ACSI site which has a bus service to the religious area from inside the campsite.

The religious area I found very interesting despite being a non-believer. The buildings, churches, crypts etc were incredible. Outside of the gates (in the town) it is pure tat. I would definitely call there if you're in the area.

There is another campsite Camping_du_Loup (just before you get to the one mentioned above) but this isn't an ACSI site. Nevertheless, if I remember correctly, its prices were still reasonable.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The actual Lourdes basilica and immediate grounds are beautiful and very, very restful. It's extremely thought provoking whatever your beliefs and is certainly worth a few hours of anyones time. The town itself is awful. You can park in the car park at the bottom of the town overnight (10-15 minutes walk through the tat). When we went it was free, but they charge at busy times I believe.

Another place worth a visit in our opinion is Lisieux which is much smaller and even more peaceful. The free aire is literally just over the road. A pizza van visits every evening!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Nearly went a couple of weeks back when the missus broke her toes and the local pharmacy had sold out of crutches ...........I remember there are loads there just lying about as folk didn't need them anymore :imoutahere:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I saw them push a guy in a wheelchair into the water to be healed.
When he came out, he was still poorly, but the wheelchair had new tyres on :)

forthpilot

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
longniddry
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since early 2013
One of the tackiest and saddest places I have ever visited. A few years ago we passed through on our way to Pau. We hadn't realized that it was the 'Travelers Pilgrimage'. The entire area was in gridlock, with Gendarmes stopping and searching white vans everywhere. There were caravans parked on roundabouts, road verges, every supermarket car park was full of them.
Nearly every shop had security outside. It is a beautiful area in general, especially the National Park to the south, but wild horses wouldn't get me back into Lourdes.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I went there many years ago and I would say, if it is still possible to get to the grotto and basilica late in the evening when no one else is around and the light is fading, while completely avoiding the town it is well worth going. As another non believer I found it quite moving and very impressive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back