Has anyone been to Latvia in a Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The reason I ask is my next door neighbour is married to a Latvian girl and they wax lyrical about it, describing a country that is like travelling to Russia but they say without the risks, mentioned lovely forests abounding in wildlife, a Baltic shore, many WW11 museums because the country was fought viciously over at the end of the war on the Eastern Front, quaint churches - presumably similar to the Russian ones, and castles and walled towns etc.
They are going there in September to visit family and he's going to clock the mileage for me, also check about campsites etc. Just wondered if anyone here had direct experience?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We were in Riga a while back, but flew in, was going to drive this time but ended up not going, my friends did and apart from feeling a bit iffy about Lithuania, they said it was ok.. long way to drive though, although there is a 24 hours ferry from Denmark into Riga which cuts mileage and risk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Can you tow an A Frame there and what's the risk of gassing? :):):):)
I think from what I've read grounding is more likely than gassing. It said that the roads in Lithuania are good with the odd bad patch whilst the roads in Latvia are bad with the odd good patch....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think from what I've read grounding is more likely than gassing. It said that the roads in Lithuania are good with the odd bad patch whilst the roads in Latvia are bad with the odd good patch....
not forgetting the roads in Poland.. or what passes for roads..

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
not forgetting the roads in Poland.. or what passes for roads..
Very true, the two combined would probably shake the engine from it's mounting. File that one away under "not worth the aggro" at the moment, can't see the EU forking out a small fortune to repair those roads either.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We've just arrived in Poland and the toll roads arw fine - if that's what they are (no sign of toll but sat nav knocked three hours off the journey by going toll)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes went in 2013 via Poland and Lithuania on the way to Tallin and the ferry to Helsinki. After Poland the roads seemed almost driveable, but I did spec a van on a full steel Pugeot chassis partly for that trip. Latvia is the only Baltic country having any business in the EU (IMHO) and generally the people seemed more European that is more open and friendly and it felt safer. Riga is a lovely city with some fine old wooden buildings and a medievial core.

My find was the old airport now turned museum, what a beautiful building, you can imagine heads of state rolling up there in the past.

The beer is very good and very cheap!!!
As an ex diver I thought the Baltic sea was probably the worst sea I have seen, badly polluted and very uninviting.......made the North sea look positively sparkly.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Are you guys serious do you really mean there are countries with worse roads than Belgium.:D
Poland and Portugal.....plus Scotland (but thats Wesminsters fault even though the roads budget has been devolved for years) .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Poland and Portugal.....plus Scotland (but thats Wesminsters fault even though the roads budget has been devolved for years) .
Nar I still recon Belgium is worse than Poland & Portugal Ireland a close second once you get off the main Euro funded arterial roads.

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
went to all the Baltic States this year in the Homie. Only really went to Riga as the rest didn't look that great to be fair. Lots of Forests. Roads are fine, Riga is great albeit totally taken over by Ruskies. You will never see more Range Rovers anywhere in your life. Lithuania has a better coast. Tallinn is the prettier city but Riga the grander, wonderful Art Deco Quarter. It's on our blog if you want to see the pics of the places

www.eamlesstravels.com

Cheers

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Nar I still recon Belgium is worse than Poland & Portugal Ireland a close second once you get off the main Euro funded arterial roads.
nearly went there this year, but cant compare because I didnt :(.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Inside the old Riga airport

_2130109474.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is not a good time to go there or even thinking about it. To much d**k waving by the USA and NATO in those areas, If it gets much worse they might not be there much longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back