Has anyone been pulled and weighed by VOSA (1 Viewer)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
this all depends on the jopsworth. but they can be really nasty.but some have some sence.:thumb:

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
I have just looked at our log book, says gross weight 4000 kg. Where do I find the axle weights

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
should be a plate or sticker somewhere usually either engine bay or by passenger door post or that area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Just back from the weighbridge. 3465 kg (without the wife) :Blush: Max 3500 kg. Both axles well underneath max.

So, as the good lady is just over 35 kilos in weight, what to do? I put in a full 80 litres of fuel and water tank was at 50 litres.

Do I leave my brand new never been used gas BBQ, or the wife? :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well the choice is yours .depends where you are going . dont want to take coal to newcastle .might get anice young dollie bird with a big bag of money want a lift. ha ha .
mind might not best dump some more things and take your wife .
but just as well you checked .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just back from the weighbridge. 3465 kg (without the wife) :Blush: Max 3500 kg. Both axles well underneath max.

So, as the good lady is just over 35 kilos in weight, what to do? I put in a full 80 litres of fuel and water tank was at 50 litres.

Do I leave my brand new never been used gas BBQ, or the wife? :ROFLMAO:
Well I would struggle without the BBQ

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
Decided to weigh mine last sunday on Free self service dynamic axle weigher at gildersome nr leeds.Very happy with results.I had full fresh water tank and deisel 2 adults,a spare tyre plenty of beer and fully loaded .
When I bought it the payload was given at 780kg

read out on dynamic weigher

front axle 1360
back axle 1910
gross 3270

on the plate in the Dethleffs globevan

it says these weights

1- 1750
2- 2250

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We may be a step nearer, spoken to CVTech today and they say fit air suspension and change rear tyres from 215 to 225 and pay them for paper work and it will go from 3700Kg to 3850Kg but more importantly for us rear axle will go from 2000kg to 2240kg.

That would make us the difference from being illegal to being comfortable.

Think I need a sub on my pocket money though

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Following on from all the above, took the MH to my local weighbridge (didn't know it existed until two days ago:Eeek:) and found I was 250kg below max weight, (even with a full tank of fuel and a full water tank:thumb:). Problem is, it is run by a foreign-speaking gent who does not understand everything said to him and he was telling me that it was complicated to weigh the axles individually. As he didn't charge me, I didn't carry on the argument.

My thought is that, if stopped, I could redistribute the weight if one axle was over its limit - with that much payload to spare, I'm sure it can't be that badly distributed already. Am I fooling myself and should I find another weighbridge - what does the team think?

Phil

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Afraid you will never be sure until you weigh individual axles, I can get my Rapido under its 3700Kg and still be 140Kg over on the rear axle

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some will do it for free if you arent worried about a ticket .
some say 3-5 quid a weight . i say be nice give them a couple of lidl ,s finest cartons of wine . they love them .

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes,they will-and if you are over ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mike

I believe there is an exemption, provided you have reasonable cause to believe that you are not overweight. (i.e. you estimated the load and added to your published empty figure). If you are over 10%, they probably won't think it reasonable.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
My only queery with this is can they up-rate my 2000kg rear axle, just no point if rear axle stays at 2000kg. I did email them regarding this and got no reply. I will ring them next week

Might fine it's the tyre rating that limits axle rating. My rear axle rating equals the maximum tyre rating and I cannot get this size tyre with higher load index.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
MOT three weeks ago, the brake test print out showed a weight measurement of 3,470 kg. Guy said he didn't believe it but suspect I've been running heavy for a while, certainly last summer holiday must have been massively overloaded with four bicycles, two inflatable kayaks and all the kit for a two-week holiday with there kids!

This time I'll be taking my 8' Ifor Williams trailer for all the heavy stuff rather than risk all problems of dealing with a continental weighbridge! I certainly drain the rear 80-litre freshwater tank before a long journey which takes ~120Kg off the back axle!

I can re-plate at 3,800Kg and may consider this but for now, a trailer is the answer.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Might fine it's the tyre rating that limits axle rating. My rear axle rating equals the maximum tyre rating and I cannot get this size tyre with higher load index.

You might if you go a little wider, i.e. 225 instead of 215. It is also worth looking at other brands. Avon (AV9) often have higher load ratings for the same size compared to other brands.

You might, however, have to up from 15" to 16" wheels. The load ratings are then much higher and steel wheels aren't expensive. Best to do it all round so a single spare can be carried. With a slightly reduced profile, you won't increase the circumference much.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
MOT three weeks ago, the brake test print out showed a weight measurement of 3,470 kg. Guy said he didn't believe it but suspect I've been running heavy for a while, certainly last summer holiday must have been massively overloaded with four bicycles, two inflatable kayaks and all the kit for a two-week holiday with there kids!

This time I'll be taking my 8' Ifor Williams trailer for all the heavy stuff rather than risk all problems of dealing with a continental weighbridge! I certainly drain the rear 80-litre freshwater tank l before a long journey which takes ~120Kg off the back axle!

I can re-plate at 3,800Kg and may consider this but for now, a trailer is the answer.

Almost all larger sized 3500kg motorhomes are a joke for payload. Once you've taken 6 people (even including children) and the 5% margin allowed (manufacturers declare the empty weight 5% below actual because they are allowed to), you probably can't even take clothes and food, let alone bikes or water.

Mine's got a MAM of 4990kg for only 7.5m and 5 berths and that is barely enough! (Admittedly, the Americans don't hold off on the amount of steel they use...)

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Weight

Just got motorhome weighed yesterday after reading this thread.
Used local scrap yard, who kindly did not charge.
Had half tank of Fuel and half tank of fresh water, plus recliner seats, BBQ, tools, spare oil, spare tyre, and loads of odds and bobs and still had 430kg payload left.
Although - an unidentifiable weight is of course the other half, and the dog is about half of that unkwon half!!! but still should have loads left over.
It was an interesting exercise as I have often wondered if I was ever close to being overloaded, so it was also a re-assuring exercise.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just got motorhome weighed yesterday after reading this thread.
Used local scrap yard, who kindly did not charge.
Had half tank of Fuel and half tank of fresh water, plus recliner seats, BBQ, tools, spare oil, spare tyre, and loads of odds and bobs and still had 430kg payload left.
Although - an unidentifiable weight is of course the other half, and the dog is about half of that unkwon half!!! but still should have loads left over.
It was an interesting exercise as I have often wondered if I was ever close to being overloaded, so it was also a re-assuring exercise.

You can see how people go over though. Presumably you brim the tanks occasionally (another 100kg?). Another 100kg for the dog and wife, leaves only 230kg. Three older children would take another 150kg, so you only have 80kg for clothes, bikes, towels etc. Some people don't even start with 430kg to fill up.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is really, really worthwhile getting individual axles weighed as some can be comfortably under max overall but overloaded on one axle - usually the rear one, reading back through the thread.

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
It is really, really worthwhile getting individual axles weighed as some can be comfortably under max overall but overloaded on one axle - usually the rear one, reading back through the thread.

From what I have gleened so far VOSA will not look at you very favourably if you are under your weight but over on an individual axle.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Overweight is overweight, even if only at one end, so yes, a dim view would likely be taken..........

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If so do they allow any margin of error.The reason I ask is my Rapido is registered as PHG at 3700 Kg.

Upon weighing it last week we crept in at 3690 Kg with no water on board the problem is my rear axle is rated at 2000 Kg. and that weighed 2140 Kg.

If I took everything out of the garage except for an extra 100 amp battery and a 130 watt solar off the roof I may just scape in at 2000 Kg

Do I really want a spare wheel, electric bike and ramps under the table when travelling.

Would they really do a "jobs worth on me" or just slap my hands and face?

I was pulled by temsvalley police at Banbury last August in my 27 foot RV
I was towing a trailer
They did not take me to a weigh bridge but did check that I had the correct category to drive
The law is not open to interpretation the limit is Not a guide line So if you are over by only a few KG you can expect to be prosecuted

Best advice is. Do not drive over loaded
Change to a vehicle that is better suited to your needs

Yours Ian

Last edited:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
weight

I got motorhome weighed as stated in earlier post, and also got front and rear axles weighed, but I cannot find an axle rating - have searched google several times now including the dethleffs site!
dethleffs A class i6611 2008 2.3 model, any ideas?

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Got it - friend just arrived and pointed out that 1 and 2 on Dethleffs plate inside habitation door = the front and rear axle rating. Looks like good friends are worth having after all.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
After many years of "do I really want to know" I finally took the Frankia to a weighbridge this morning. The good news is that with me and a full tank of fuel it is bang on 3500kg (1580 front,1920 rear axle). The bad news is that there was no water, food or my wife. I suspect that the major added weight is the roof mounted sat dish but this aside there are only the bread trays, a few tools, dining table and a couple of lightweight chairs. I suppose the lack of food and/or the lack of Merilyn to cook it should result in me losing weight thus enabling her to come along.
What's even more worrying is that when the trailer is added, the rear axle loading will rocket, ditto if bike rack and bikes are put on. There's not a lot I can take out so here are a couple of questions re. re-plating.
As I understand it you can get a van re-plated fairly easily but I assume then that the taxation class changes and also presumably the max speed limit.
Does this change in class also affect the situation regarding the LEZ?
Has the insurance changed for those that have had it done?
Does it increase the individual axle ratings and if so how is this calculated?
I'm sure most of the answers are already out there but I need to go and see what I can remove from the van.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back