Harwich To Rotterdam (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
How long does it take. A quick google said 4 hours but the stenaline said 8. Confused o_O

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Not sure on Rotterdam , but harwich /hook is 7.5 hours approx whichever way recommend cabin as more relaxing plus chance of showering

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've gone overnight with a cabin, late departure from Harwich so avoid the afternoon/evening traffic with planned overnight stop from your part of the UK. The whole day ahead when you wake in the morning. Don't know when you plan to go but this discount code may be of use:

You'd better get a move on if you want to go to Holland for less. Savings of up to 50% are slipping through your fingers, you only have until 31 January to take advantage of our sale to take one of our luxurious Superferries from Harwich to the Hook of Holland. Just use the code JAN1 when making your booking. And if you prebook your meals onboard, enjoy our delicious food with a 10% discount!

This is sailing at its best and because you're making such a great saving, why not reserve your table in the à la Carte restaurant, book a private cabin, visit the cinema, shop and enjoy a drink at the bar...So if you want to travel to Holland in style, between 21 January and 30 April, well, now's the time to get booking!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
As you say bailey58 great savings at the moment ,usually book flex ticket just for safety sake but means you can carry the discounted price over and only pay the difference later on in the year in stuff changes.
Don't forget to register for the rewards as any purchases gain points that you can use against future sailings .

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We went Harwich - HofH in late Sept. Everyone advised going overnight BUT cabins are mandatory and the cost for us was exactly double the daytime sailing. Coming back we were with family members who do that route regularly and always book a cabin, even on daytime crossings: the cabin was very nice, with complimentary wine/beer/water & snacks as well as a luxury shower. Interestingly, we got a very good saving by booking with CCC (10% discount [off a cheaper rate than I could get online!] and flexible ticket upgrade). CC seem to do the same but their website was less informative.

The journey was slow and easy both ways, but tea & coffee on board were poor quality and expensive: we bought flasks for the return leg. Arriving in HofH at dusk, we were waved straight through customs but TomTom insisted that we were still in Harwich for the next 20 mins: the Rotterdam Ring Road without a map in the dark & rain was less than funny :rolleyes: !

For the return leg we moved into lane 3 at HofH, as lane2 was full. I didn't spot any signs telling us that only lane1 had sufficient headroom for our van: BEWARE! Fortunately the car drivers were helpful and forgiving (y).

HTH - Gordon

PS the road from Colchester to Harwich is fine for 80% of the way, then it is only single carriageway and full of potholes (both directions). There is a Morrisons adjacent to Parkstone Quay for last minute purchases.

Upvote 0

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Watch the speed cameras as well, can also make savings if you go to the Dutch stenaline site and pay in euros depending on rate and type of card i.e Halifax clarity

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Arriving at Harwich in good time one evening I noticed one of the wiper blades had split so googling Halfords the satnav gave me a distance of about 8 miles to the nearest store, plenty of time to get a spare before the ferry I thought. It wasn't until I got three miles back along the A120 that I realised it was taking me to Felixstowe more than thirty miles away. Always check the route before trusting the satnav.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Sat nav always shows shortest distance to destination , it's not until you move that true distance emerges .

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How long does it take. A quick google said 4 hours but the stenaline said 8. Confused o_O

Easy. The overnight crossing(s) are (Nearly) always on reduced speed and power, or where in my day as Chief Engineer (Tor Line). It made my fuel figure(s) look better for Head office!!!

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Half the speed. That is some saving. I read somewhere a ship like the QE2 size would use a gallon every time a piston wend bang. Would that be roughly correct?

I have since been in contact with P&O and i am happy with the kennels on the Hull - Zeebrugge crossing so going that route. Also saves me a few 100 miles going further south as it was looking like Dover - Dunkirk was the crossing of choice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back