Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
On our trip in the spring this year, we were thinking of trying this area, who has visited there and is it worth it, what’s there to see?.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Goslar is a lovely town to visit in this area, a nice stellplatze to stay on as well. The town square is stunning with beautiful coloured cobbles on the floor throughout.
Lovely, quaint shops.
I would post a few photos of our visit but on the tablet at the minute so can't, will do tomorrow evening after work.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We went many years ago, we loved it but I can't remember what time the year it was but very much minus in fact one of our coldest trips.:LOL:
We was not cold in our Eura Mobil because it was built for it but a bottle of gas was lasting 4 days. :eek:
But if you like mountains walking steam trains and nice old German towns that have never changed ;) well they hadn't when we went, you will love the area. :LOL:

I don't know if things have changed but there was a restaurant/ stelplatz at Elend and the chap that owned it was a saxophone player with the rolling stones in the 60s and he had all the photos in the restaurant from back in the day and because we were English he never charged us, but we insisted on putting money in his charity box because we had electric. (y)
You can also get the train up Brocken from there. ;) Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A little way southeast is Leipzig , a really nice city , fantastic if you want shopping malls , lots to see, there is a nice little Stellplatze just behind a restaurant /function centre just south of the city a short walk from train and easy travel into the city , located in a wood . quite cheap and friendly couple run it , plenty of room .
Sorry just foundout its been closed by the City !!!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Goslar square, the bottom photograph is me having a laugh, I had drank a couple of dunkel beers.
Goslar 012.JPG
Goslar 072.JPG

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Visited this area on the motorbike - this was good

Broken Link Removed

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Another vote for the steam railway, fantastic!! its an actual network where you can change trains at a station where all the other trains are also steam and go on the brockenbahn which is a winding scenic route up to the top of a mountain where an old DDR listening post is situated. It also goes along the road for a while at Wernigerode.

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Going on my bike with a bunch of mates in May. Never been to Germany before so it better be good!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yes we have been there, it is stunningly beautiful especially if you like witches and stuff.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There's the Nurberg Ring, what more do you want.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Going on my bike with a bunch of mates in May. Never been to Germany before so it better be good!

Lots of cobbled roads when were there but that was 15+ years ago.

We did a tour around the Harz for about five days on a Honda VFR on the way to Berlin for my mates birthday party. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On the way, you could take a look at the Externsteine, huge sandstone rock formations with sacred and mythological significance like our Stonehenge. Between Beilefeld and Paderborn.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Goslar - pretty town with a free carpark-type stellplatz. Was fine overnight though we were woken early in the morning by the coach drivers who sit there with their engines running for about 15 mins. Rammelsberg mine is definitely worth a visit - English language tours only at the weekends though.

Wernigerode - another very pretty town, I think I preferred this one to Goslar. Nice Stellplatz in town with EHU - very busy though (we were lucky to arrive just as someone was leaving). You can get the steam train up to the old East German listening post at the top of the Brocken from here. Sadly we didn't get to see the amazing views from the top as despite the warm sunny day down in the town the Brocken was shrouded in fog and rain :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back