Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
Hi Folks,

The corrosion on our hartal door has finally claimed the paint this morning during washing.

Anyone got any recommendations how to repair? We are currently considering chips away or similar. We are in Teesside so recommendations for repairers greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you need to clean off all the corrosion then treat with an etching primer, not cheap primer. then sand and repaint

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had the same problem on our first Hymer. There was a problem with Hartal doors made around 2007/2008 mainly with gold doors. Although our van was out of warranty Hymer replaced the door and the door frame (door design had changed), expensive if you have to pay yourself about 2.5k.

No real fix for it as the corrosion starts at the edge of the door under the anodised surround. You can not get the surround off without wrecking the door. If you get it resprayed it will start to go again within weeks, may last a bit longer with @TheBig1 suggestion but I wouldn't count on it. Only real solution is a new door.
Depends how long you plan on keeping the van, if you are looking at changing van in the next 2 or 3 years I would live with it and get it resprayed just before you sell it.

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you got it resprayed etc could you not put a bead of sealant around the door frame/door as that would prevent water ingress to the edge of the door.

Just a thought

Reactions: f6c
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is it corrosion or poor paint adhesion due to poor prep of the door during manufacture.
I'd speak to the manufacturer and Hartal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R32Paul
Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
By way of an update. Had a number of quotes for repair.

Hartal won't help, have directed us towards Burstner. Camper UK are allegedly passing it to Burstner. I won't hold my breath.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back