Harley Davidson (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Hmm went to a RN biker rally in the early 1980's and a local Harley dealer provided some bikes for evaluation, ,,,,Nobody managed to get the soft tail around the first corner without falling off!! Not and never will be my cup of tea, more vibration than a nymphomaniacs sex toy, to quote a biking journalist * It broke down so many times that the AA refused to attend! * and who wants to admit in public they ride a fatboy? Its just American Jingoism and while I appreciate that some do not vibrate very much or don't breakdown between services all it takes is a grey haired tattooed( later in life) wannabe *rebel* with extra loud pipes, because * Loud pipes save lives!* to alienate the majority of the public with the ear splitting noise of a bike saying Potato Potato Potato as it thunders past trying to give the impression of the ultimate in being cool,,,,,,,,,,,Not my idea of freedom but for those * Rebels!* out there join the AA or RAC and please don't tamper with the exhaust and your tattoos and cut offs no matter what you think are not unique as other lemmings have done just the same to show how * unique and rebellious* they are! Go to a Van Dutch Custom show and self gratification is guaranteed :LOL:
Not entirely sure if you’re being serious or not comparing early eighties Harley’s or any other bikes to their modern counterparts and inferring they’re still the same.
The diatribe about aged, tattooed rebels on loud machines is laughable..
I’m still not sure about your sincerity but if it’s honest you’re a right twat.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Not entirely sure if you’re being serious or not comparing early eighties Harley’s or any other bikes to their modern counterparts and inferring they’re still the same.
The diatribe about aged, tattooed rebels on loud machines is laughable..
I’m still not sure about your sincerity but if it’s honest you’re a right twat.
:reel:

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Had 3 Hardley Rideables over the years,
883 Speedster (how bad are they)
V Rod Night Rod (ok bike)
Fat Bob (Or was it Fat Boy?? in Dubai)

Then i came to my senses and started buying propper bikes 🤭

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Had 3 Hardley Rideables over the years,
883 Speedster (how bad are they)
V Rod Night Rod (ok bike)
Fat Bob (Or was it Fat Boy?? in Dubai)

Then i came to my senses and started buying propper bikes 🤭
What do you call a proper bike then

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had a Harley - a 1999 1200 Sportster. It was heavier than a Battleships anchor.

How can they make a bike with such awful brakes?

My 1928 Rudge had better brakes.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I had a Harley - a 1999 1200 Sportster. It was heavier than a Battleships anchor.

How can they make a bike with such awful brakes?

My 1928 Rudge had better brakes.

You had an issue a Harley built over twenty years ago? Who would have thought it 🤔

Modern Harley's don't have awful brakes. They have Brembo brakes which you'll probably agree are THE top brand.

You can also get lean angle sensitive traction control & ABS, touch screen Infotainment, LED lights and far better quality finishes than any Japanese bike - in fact they are as technologically advanced as any bike on the market (unless you know any FACTS that prove me wrong)

But don't let facts get in the way of your argument, just keep on digging a hole for yourself so we can laugh at you and the other knockers even more. 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Love the sound and look, shame about the brakes, performance, handling, price.........

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I suppose they are made for long straight American roads 👍
I think we've got one in Lincolnshire somewhere 🤔

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I wouldn’t an don’t decry any bike, if it’s got two wheels and floats your boat it’s alright with me.
I had two Harley’s around 2009/11, a Dyna Low Rider and a Soft Tail Fat Boy, then went back to BMW’s.
Very heavy, solidly made, poor brakes, poor suspension but strangely enjoyable for a while.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Another photo for all the haters, funnily enough it was joyful to ride this morning, it went around corners, it started and stopped when I wanted it to, it was FUN to ride.😀
Only did an hour or so as a little tired from the John o Groats ride last week👌
E6A1B7D1-98ED-4F90-861D-D5C261CCFF8D.png

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
You hit the nail on the head with the FUN word.

I ride my BMW for an adrenalin rush and my Harley for the sheer pleasure. Yes, I do ride slower on the Harley but only so I can use the time to look over the hedgerows and appreciate the blessings that nature provides.

Sometimes it's more about the journey than the speed.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
You hit the nail on the head with the FUN word.

I ride my BMW for an adrenalin rush and my Harley for the sheer pleasure. Yes, I do ride slower on the Harley but only so I can use the time to look over the hedgerows and appreciate the blessings that nature provides.

Sometimes it's more about the journey than the speed.

Time on a slow bike ride goes really fast .👍

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You had an issue a Harley built over twenty years ago? Who would have thought it 🤔

Modern Harley's don't have awful brakes. They have Brembo brakes which you'll probably agree are THE top brand.

You can also get lean angle sensitive traction control & ABS, touch screen Infotainment, LED lights and far better quality finishes than any Japanese bike - in fact they are as technologically advanced as any bike on the market (unless you know any FACTS that prove me wrong)

But don't let facts get in the way of your argument, just keep on digging a hole for yourself so we can laugh at you and the other knockers even more. 😂😂😂

I did not have an issue with my Rudge's brakes that was built over 90 years ago and they were linked like modern Harleys.

Also I would point out my comments were made about my Harley from 1999 not a 2020 bike.

I also suspect that none of the items you mention are manufactured by Harley.

That as you say Harley took from 1903 to 2020 to accept they need to buy in a 3rd party braking system says it all really about Harley and its owners.

I love all motorcycles and especially Vee twins but no matter how you find the need to make personal insults to defend your choice they are not the best Vee twin out there.

But they are the best advertised.

ps: My Harley was very well finished and still shiny and rust free when I sold it in 2018 and Brembo are probably the best braking systems available. (y)

pps: I consider the best Vee twin I have owned is a Ducati. Also I could not afford a Vincent. :cry:

My shovel is pretty rusty but if you would like to borrow it I am sure I would get it back very shiny. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
My first bike going back to the early 60’s was a 250cc Royal Enfield Crusader Sports. My second bike, bought a few months ago is a BMW K1600 GTL.
52274E5B-88D7-4D7D-A22D-8C7E9E9A6F02.jpeg

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
My first bike going back to the early 60’s was a 250cc Royal Enfield Crusader Sports. My second bike, bought a few months ago is a BMW K1600 GTL.
View attachment 453711
I had a maroon one. Brilliant bike. Awesome engine note, phenominal power and great handling. Wish I hadn't sold it.

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
Most people that critise HD have never riden one, if you want a perfect bike then BMW takes some beating, if you want a bike with a soul, it can only be HD, I've had Beemers, I currently have an Electra Glide and wouldn't swap it.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Most people that critise HD have never riden one, if you want a perfect bike then BMW takes some beating, if you want a bike with a soul, it can only be HD, I've had Beemers, I currently have an Electra Glide and wouldn't swap it.
Ive had at least 6 glides (two of them CVO’s) and ONE Roadglide, and that beat the Electraglides hands down. If I ever went back to touring on a HD it would be on a Roadglide.👍

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Wait for it :rolleyes: Ive got tattoos and I ride a Harley and its a..............Fat Boy :LOL:;) oh and it has taken me all over Europe in all weathers without any failures (y) just like my previous Honda R6 Fireblade did
26.JPG
:smiley:
94.jpg
96 (2).jpg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Wait for it :rolleyes: Ive got tattoos and I ride a Harley and its a..............Fat Boy :LOL:;) oh and it has taken me all over Europe in all weathers without any failures (y) just like my previous Honda R6 Fireblade did View attachment 453778:smiley: View attachment 453776View attachment 453777
Just flogged my heritage softail and I’m done with Harleys (I think), I’ve done Sturgis, 105th anniversary In Milwaukee, European HOG rally’s, Faakersee (Austria) nearly every year, and even 3 years working for HD, Nowt wrong em just had enough and want to concentrate on our new life with the motorhome!
I’ve got more stuff to get rid (T shirts, riding gear etc) of than u can shake a stick at😁 eBay beckons me thinks😂😂

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My first "Rewaco" trike with me 2 Harleys and Ducati`s under cover in their heated home..

DSCF0924 (600 x 450).jpg

Sold them...Ducati`s were sold local (Devon/Cornwall)... Harley Road King went to Switzerland, 1975 Softail went back to the guy I bought it from ooop north, (He sold it to me a few years before and went to the States to die of cancer, his sister lived there, made a miraculous recovery returned to the UK a few years later, and saw his old bike advertised and bought it back.. (y) ).... The trike went to London...

We moved from Devon (Brixham)... then moved to Honiton and then back home to Dorset....

And bought this beast of a flying machine..... showing an old friend who came up to see us from Devon.... and he offered me silly money for it... :Eeek::Grin:..

Had it about 3 months... :crying1:... Belonged to a racing driver with the Mercedes gang... and went all over the world with him/them... Done in Mc.Claren colours of the time before fag adverts (German Brand "West"). were banned from F1..

Now wasn`t that an interesting load of drivel... :giggler:

DSC01780 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC01784 (600 x 450).jpg

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Wait for it :rolleyes: Ive got tattoos and I ride a Harley and its a..............Fat Boy :LOL:;) oh and it has taken me all over Europe in all weathers without any failures (y) just like my previous Honda R6 Fireblade did View attachment 453778:smiley: View attachment 453776View attachment 453777
had 3 HDs over the years, 1st a 883 Sport thing, horrible. 2nd V Rod Night Rod in Denim Black, fantastic bike, 3rd like you a Fat Boy in Dubai, great bike also.
Sold a 2016 BMW RT LE to get the Wing as the old joints are not what they were so a DCT helps, and low speed or pushing the bike around the drive and garage got a bit iffy so the reverse gear comes in dead handy.
Lovely bike by the way.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Just flogged my heritage softail and I’m done with Harleys (I think), I’ve done Sturgis, 105th anniversary In Milwaukee, European HOG rally’s, Faakersee (Austria) nearly every year, and even 3 years working for HD, Nowt wrong em just had enough and want to concentrate on our new life with the motorhome!
I’ve got more stuff to get rid (T shirts, riding gear etc) of than u can shake a stick at😁 eBay beckons me thinks😂😂
Im in the same position having done a lot of the Harley Rallys across Europe & the UK we feel its time to give the Harley scene a rest and do some touring in Luxury in the Motorhome, the Fat Boy will probably do very few miles over the coming years :sleep:

Ive also got HD stuff to sell you should try Marketplace on Face Book ive had some success and you havent got to faff around with posting it out and no charges (y):smiley:

Rgds CJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back