ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I havent posted for a while so thought I would tell you about some work on the RV on Sunday.

Was having a look around and found that the cover for the front roller of the slideout was missing it is on the underside of the floor in the front wheel arch drivers side, had to fabricate one from some old scrap steel I had lying about, then I had to take the front wheel off drill and screw the new cover on. I was knackered had been working all afternoon and not used to taking wheels off without a powerful windy gun !! I will be cleaning off the underside of the Monaco and undersealing it as seems to have got fairly rusty since being here in the UK away from it's orginal home in Houston Texas :cry:

Fabricated cover

se1z5v.jpg

21lshnb.jpg

The exposed roller in question the white is the underside of the slideout

nn2ng8.jpg

New cover fitted and sealed:thumb:

1tn7nn.jpg

Regards Pat

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice little job done there Pat. Looks like a wire-brush an underseal job is imminent. I bought underseal last year and have been procrastinating. I must get it done sometime soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I bought underseal last year and have been procrastinating. I must get it done sometime soon.

Thinking back to the 60s when I used underseal a lot it never worked and worse it seemed to trap water inside.

So how about some oily spray ? WaxOil is a name that comes to mind.

I'd also consider Hammerite.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Thinking back to the 60s when I used underseal a lot it never worked and worse it seemed to trap water inside.

So how about some oily spray ? WaxOil is a name that comes to mind.

I'd also consider Hammerite.

:Cool: When I was in the Royal Signals in Singapore. After we had washed the Land Rovers and Bedford 3 Toners. We used a Petrol and Oil mix to go over every part of the vehicle. Shone like new and NEVER showed any rust. :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Have to agree with Brian, we bought a brand new Sherpa pop-up-roof conversion in 78. it had been Ziebarted from new, and after 5 years the cills were rotten, full of holes the Ziebart had blocked all the drain holes. :Angry:

Still it matched the rust in the horizontal seams. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
:Eeek: Looks like a wire brush and some Rust proofer is required there Pat? :thumb:

Hi John

Yes will have to as you say get the wire brush out and rust proof, although one of my tennants does do shot/grit blasting so may try that but not sure of what possible damage that could do:Eeek::Eeek:

It is only surface rust everything is solid, now I know why on our last trip the RV was cold and only warmed up when we were stationary or going slow, the wind was obviously blowing up the wheel arch and through the hole which a bit like a letterbox:Doh::Doh:

How's Almafra?

Regards Pat

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
:Sad: Changeable rent wise. Had to move plots. But moving to an even better plot in the Autumn. :winky:

BTW, The SUN is shining. :thumb:

Dick has just about washed/polished all the paint off his Monaco.

Good old Dick I bet it's gleaming now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I am wire brushing the rust off (using a drill and wire rings) then painting it with bitumen paint.........does the trick nicely and gives a nice finish :winky:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back