LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with 30Gb hard drive, I have just bought a 80GB hard drive and am wanting to clone the 30Gb so that I can restore it on the 80GB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

a) What software?
b) How?

Regards

ShiftZZ

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree with Jim best software choice for backups and cloning instructions on how to do this are straight forward.

Regards

Also posible to make your backups appear as a virtual drive and extract any info just as you would with any drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have always used Norton Ghost and Partitionmagic for our customers previously.

Used a dedicated PC and ide/sata 2.5" converters for it.

I know people who use Acronis too.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
i prefer ghost finding it easier to use, also some of the free software for cloning i have found hit & miss when it comes to restore.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I use Iomega Automatic Backup Pro in conjunction with an Iomega 250 GB External Drive. It backs up any files as they change and by default keeps the last 6 updates, this can be increased ( or reduced ) if required.

It has 2 main modes - System backup and Data backup.

Phil.

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've recently upgraded my HP 6720s from 80 to 320Gb hard drive. I used Acronis True Image and it was totally painless. I then bought a hard drive case from ebay for just over a fiver and put the old 80Gb sata drive into it. You now have an extra hard drive. I put Linux on it and use it sometimes for internet work as it is quicker than Windows.:Smile:
Vaughan

stuc100

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi,

Have tried all the above, at cost, and found them unreliable. I now use the following and have had no problems. Plus it's free.

No fancy GUI but it does what it says on the tin!

Clonezilla

Get youself an external harddrive and install this software on it. Boot from it and backup multiple PC's to the one external drive as often as you like. Not automatic but reliable.

Stu

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Downloaded a copy of Clonezilla yesterday and it appears to work very well here's a youtube video giving what appears to be a fair comparassion between it and Acronis

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHur5BvV6o]YouTube - Clonezilla vs Acronis[/ame]

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use Acronis, its superb.:thumb: I couldn't watch all the video above as after about 3 minutes I lost the will to live :Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I must agree he does go on and on and on, but in the end he makes some very valid (in my opinion) suggestions, i think the summary in my opinion is one is free and the other you have pay for, albeit i think there was a suggestion that some backup drives ship with Acronis ?free.

Being a cheapskate I bet you can't guess which one I chose :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I use Acronis, its superb.:thumb: I couldn't watch all the video above as after about 3 minutes I lost the will to live :Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back