Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Where will you be doing your crossing to France from?

I'm heading down to Plymouth for my crossing on Wednesday night. Got loads of time so I'm going to keep off the motorways and the plan for tomorrow night is to find somewhere peaceful. Somewhere without lorries!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
View attachment 74688

Haha. I've been holed up on an Industrial estate near Birmingham for the last two nights and about to have my third tonight. I thought I'd fooled him today by moving spaces but no, he's just pulled in close on the other side!

Must be French. :)

if french probably a peeper (peeping tom):D

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes. Thanks for that. A lovely thought while I'm getting ready for bed. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Hi Jackie, We haven't met (yet) but I really admire you and your determination to do what your doing. A real gutsy lady. Good luck and have a great time. Best wishes, Patrick

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jackie,

All the very best for the forthcoming adventure. Sorry that it's not been the best of starts for you, but you have overcome those problems, and dealt with them better than some would've. (y)

Enjoy life, and never be too shy to ask if you need any help. Wherever you are here in the UK, you won't ever be too far away from a fellow Funster. Abroad, they tend to be more spread out.

What a great offer from Frankie, and not far from the Spanish border. :)

Take care, and safe travels. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

P.S. If matey next to you is parking up at 22.00 and driving off at 05.00, he is operating illegally as he should be having a minimum of 9hrs rest, but preferably 10hrs. :eek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
DSCN2026.JPG
DSCN1037.JPG

Let me introduce a copy of your Dugal ... a tad older though as you can see from his grey beard lol!

This was Licorice , my dog! I know all about toys lasting less than a minute! But what a great companion he was. I miss him very often . Good job you have Dugal, he'll wipe any sorrow away (if any)with a good lick on your face!!! They are so loving ... and funny!

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I can definitely see the resemblance! Dugal's mum was a poodle and his dad was something that just happened to be out at the time. Lovely nature but, being 'cute' gets lots of attention which has led him to have an inflated sense of his own importance. :)

I'm in Devon! I can't believe it. It's hard to think that only two weeks ago I was worrying that I might not make it onto the Manx boat!

Filled up with LPG today - one of my big concerns but it wasn't too bad.

I've got three days before my boat sails so I'm going to have a pootle around here. Tomorrow I'm staying at a farm shop courtesy of Britstops. Delicatessen, restaurant, cheese tasting, dog walks on the beach. Yes please!

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Glad you have made it to Devon Jackie without any further problems
Enjoy your few days rest before you cross across to France .
Look forward to hearing more of your travels:)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Today hasn't been my best day. Travelling to Plymouth on the M5 when smoke started pouring from the bonnet. Waited two hours for the repair man only to find the radiator had overheated and lost all its water. I told him it had been serviced two weeks ago and he said it was unlikely they'd checked the water levels as it took 8 litres. I feel so foolish for not checking it but it never usually uses any water.

So back on the road again on twenty miles of windy roads and coming up a hill with a line of cars coming the opposite way and one of them further out than the rest. I pulled right into the hedge but he still hit me. The van is Ok but both his doors are scraped. I got out to exchange details only t be met with a barrage of abuse about my driving. His wife got out of the car, look at my registration and said she wasn't surprised as I came from the Isle of Man. What the hell that has to do with anything I don't know.

At a farm shop on the coast and truly I've never felt so low. In fact, the thought of getting in the van again fills me with dread. Hoping tomorrow and a good rest tonight gets me back up to strength.

I can't believe how much has gone wrong and so soon. Not sure I can take another knock - literally or metaphorically. Jeez.

I seem to be using is thread as a blog.

So much for my positivity and cheerful outlook. Not feeling it right now.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Oh Jackie so sorry you are having all these problems ...things can only get better you have achieved so much already. Hope your van isn't damaged? Idiot drivers who think they are the only ones on the road really annoy me:swear2:
Sending you a big hug
image.jpg

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
you will be ok just carry on when you cross the channel it will be different if ya down benidorm way look me up there will be plenty of us down here for winter safe roads to you and dont give in to the simple minded idiots you may encounter

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Jackie .... my starts with Max have been terrible and yours sound a bit the same . I had all sorts of problems! Some were mechanical, others ... never mind you don't really want to know! At least the wall of the entrance gate at the stadium were I live, DOES know!
All I can say is that, you can't have only problems. You'll get some good time too. I know how difficult it can be to be trusty in these hard times. You've got a Hymer and they are good.
You'll get used to checking things. At some point it will settle , and you'll enjoy it.
Chin up... try to hold on a bit more

Amicalement

Frankie:)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all,

I made it to Plymouth and am in the Millhouse park and ride. There's a massive green space next to it and Dugal and I have been walking and having a bit of R&R. I've come into the city to use the wifi and ring Saga to tell them of the bump.

I really was ready to throw the towel in this morning. Totally fed up and scared and wondering what the hell I was doing but I pulled into a layby this morning and a man running a tea stall gave me such a motivational speech along with my tea and I've given myself a hearty kick up the arse.

My boat isn't till tomorrow night at ten so I have 30 hours of no driving and a chance to rest and forget about everything that has happened. I'm luckier than most - with everything that had happened I rather forgot.

So. France. Right.

Thanks for the offer of a check JR but I'm as right as I'm going to be. Done the water and the oil and the tyres, got gas and fuel. All I'm short of is a manicure. Are you offering? :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
The green area will be central park area great for a walk about with your doggie .I'm not sure about overnighting there though ?
When you head down to the ferryport if you can go via the Barbican and follow the road up around Plymouth Hoe .very scenic and great with this weather.follow the road all the way round towards the ferry there is a cafe "Port o Call" good grub nothing fancy but at the right price just round the corner is milbsy docks ferryport. After 1800 parking free lately there have been one or three campers parked waiting for the ferry and overnighting.
Hope your trip brings you joy.
I only do manicures on Fridays ...with a angle grinder :D
Cheers

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Remember Jackie you are never alone when you are a member of FUN:)
There is always someone on the end of a computer,laptop, tablet or iPad who,will help if they can(y) enjoy your last night in the uk before your french adventure begins:france:

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Really looking forward to following your adventure across the water.
It's been a hell of a beginning but once you are over in foreign lands even the smallest problem can be sworn about in the foulest language at the top of your voice and most of those nearby probably won't understand a word.:whistle:
And you'll feel a whole lot better.;)
Chill and enjoy. Problems are always tiny the next day.:)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Pick yourself up and dust yourself down Jackie its all part of the adventure things will get better and as the above have said alot of funsters will be heading south for the winter soon so you wont be that far away from help if needed . We will be in Portugal November and we will always offer advice and help if we can ( or wine lol ).

Paul & Lynne

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Jackie, Brittany is fab, you will find it so much easier to drive oyver her, keep on the right hand side of road ,the French keep on there's , we've been over for 8 days I feel that I could drive all day non stop it's so easy and relaxed ,weather is great. We are just above Best at the moment at an aire in bourg blanc free aire and water lovely lakeside aire.
Happy and safe travels
Terry and Ann

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure Brittany roads are any better! All I can suggest is drive slowly and if you see something big coming towards you slow down and stop if necessary. Remember, the driver of the white van coming towards you probably doesn't own it and he wears the battle scars on it with pride!

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Well to-days the day you cross the channel the best of luck bon voyage :france:hope it all goes well. (y) You are doing great, well done, know it must get sickening and you feel like giving up when things go wrong but you've battled through like the strong person you must be. Onward and upward, enjoy the crossing and keep us all informed of your travels. Mew and Mick

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
All the best Jackie, will be thinking of you. Please keep posting message and some pics to tell and show us where you are.
Not met you yet but sending a big hug. :smiley:

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
:france:Hope you have a good crossing Jackie:france:
Keep us informed on your progress when you can
And remember you have got so far even with everything that has been thrown at you so France will be a doddle ...quieter roads ....
Sunshine....wine...food and plenty places to park up to admire the lovely views....oh am I jealous:sick:
Bon Voyage:france:

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Good luck Jackie,
All the very best on your trip,very brave to be heading out alone.Carole and I met you on our trip to Morocco when I had to come home with an illness,still don't know what it was.I am sure you will be great on your long trip away and you can always get home if needs be.Who knows perhaps we will meet again,we still go to France and Spain for three months each year usually Spring and Autumn.It would be lovely to see you loved our little chats in Morocco.
Preston

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello everyone! Je suis en France!

Last week seems like a lifetime away.

I stayed the night in the Millhouse Park and Ride and slowly, slowly drove down to the ferry, confidence still low and a bag of bloody nerves. Made it on no problem. A good feed, a good sleep and up at six ready to face the challenges ahead.

And somehow everything just changed. My whole attitude changed. I stopped being frightened and started being excited and grateful for the opportunities heading my way.

Drove out of Roscoff (they drive on the right BTW) and stopped at a small aire overlooking the sea. Time for a walk for Dugal and a pot of tea for me.

Headed to St Pol de Leon via LIDL. nearly lost it when I only picked up one LIDL catalogue instead of two but pulled myself together. The LIDL catalogue used to be one of the highlights of our week. Yes, we really were that sad. :)

And on to St Pol de Leon, reversing back over a view of what looked like green fields with boats dotted around. After a three hour 'nap' I couldn't believe it when I woke to see the sea!

So I've had two days of rest, walks, good food, pottering in the van making it 'girly' and getting the washing done.

Today we've walked up into the village and have sampled an excellent baguette and an almond croissant. My French has come back to me and I've really enjoyed making the effort.

And the icing on the cake. I woke this morning, opened the curtains and saw the sun rise. Not only that but in the middle of this amazing sight came three black swans. I thought I was going to die of happiness.

Thanks to everyone for all your encouragement and positive thoughts. It has meant the world to me. I had no idea how much of a challenge this would really be for me. Bill looked after me very well and truly didn't know just how much he did until I had to do it for myself.

And to Presto the biggest love of all for you and Carole. It made me heart soar to read your reply. I had no idea you were on here. There's hardly a day goes by when I do not think of you and the conversations we had. You were instrumental in me making a seriously life changing decision and I will be forever grateful to you. We both have such happy memories of the time we spent with you both.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 44

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Jackie, that is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this momentous journey with us. x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back