Sep 20, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Learning
Hi,

We will be making our first motorhome trip to see family in Hannover in a couple of weeks time. I'd be grateful for any tips from members that have travelled to this area, in particular any route tips and favourite stopovers from Calais etc., and also places to stay if visiting the city for two or three days. We have six days overall for the trip; thanks in anticipation.

Ben

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Not a route I normally take but you should think about stopping over in Ypres en route to visit the WW1 military cemeteries and the Menin Gate. There's an Aire on the outskirts of town within walking distance of Menin gate. It's a fabulous town to visit.

OP
OP
Northern Light
Sep 20, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Learning
Many thanks Chris, great suggestion that's now on our list.

Ben

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Can you post up anywhere interesting that you find for a stopover, it’s been a few years since my last drive to Celle, but that’s always been in a car so no stops!
I’m long overdue a visit so will be on the list for next year
Jim

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We have family living in Hulsede, a few miles west of Hannover: the church there is very interesting and the water castle is well known.

Normally we cross to Hook of Holland and stop off at a good aire in Lingen, near the sports hall
Once we stopped at a quiet aire on the north coast of Dummersee, where there are a couple of restaurants.
The aire at Nienburg is next to the moat of the castle and the town is very attractive but it’s not far to Hannover so probably not worth the detour.
Obviously there is the straight road there if we are in a hurry and the caravan and motorhome dealer at Osnabruck has lots of items plus an aire.

The marina at Gorinchem is on the banks of the Rhine so is interesting but quite noisy.

Gordon

OP
OP
Northern Light
Sep 20, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Learning
Many thanks Gordon, and all, great ideas there - all welcomed.

Ben

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We (my brothers and I) went on motorbikes a few years ago. We were the first family members to visit our great uncle’s grave. He was a rear gunner on a Lancaster bomber and they were shot down and all killed over Hannover. They are buried side by side as a crew in the cemetery there.
We found the town very nice and very clean with some old buildings it had a similar feeling to York to us.
Good luck on your trip.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Okay, I've checked back through my diaries and I got some of those places wrong!

The aire by the moat is in Buckeburg
Nienburg is a lovely aire on the banks of the river with a walk over a bridge into a super town.

We have also stopped at Almen (NL) which is a small marina with a pub: very peaceful although the fresh water was down on the quayside, so slightly awkward (but do-able).

We stopped at a little aire in the shadow of Furstenau castle for lunch: nice spot. Furstenau has a draisenbahn: apparently you propel yourself along an old railway line on one of those hand-carts with the long handle which you pump up and down. Unfortunately it was closed (it was also a bit awkward to find).

HTH - Gordon

Attachments

• h (195).JPG
    h (195).JPG
    601 KB · Views: 18
  • h (205).JPG
    h (205).JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 16
  • h (222).JPG
    h (222).JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 17
  • h (240).JPG
    h (240).JPG
    884 KB · Views: 16
  • h (275).JPG
    h (275).JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 17
  • h (282).JPG
    h (282).JPG
    639 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Northern Light
Sep 20, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Learning
Many thanks Gordon for going to the trouble to confirm the details, and the photographs are excellent.

Ben

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
We have been to minden a few times, which is an hour or so from hannover. Minden is a nice town and the aire is on the side of the river. Can confirm buckeburg is a lovely stop. Went to a beautiful Xmas Market there. Hameln and lemgo are lovely too. The harz mountains are not far with some fabulous little towns ...quedlinburg stood out. 1600 black and white houses and a castle. Also went on a narrow gauge railway trip up to the brocken. We'll worth doing.
On the way to minden we stopped at a small brewery ...potts brewery. You could go and watch the process of bottling. It had a restaurant and sold its brew. Very nice.
Monhe dam of dambusters fame is also on the way.
Enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back