Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We were just watching Dragons Den, something we don't normally watch, anyway this guy had a business supplying a universal manhole key which Debra Meadon invested in. I thought a key such as this would be extremely handy for wildcampers

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I thought it was only the vicar in emerdale was interested in manholes :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Ashley isn't gay, surely???

Mind you, his stage niece, Jasmine (Thomas), played for the other side. And very decoratively, too, I must say

Broken Link Removed

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Doh , im wrong as normal. Its corrie, since fulltiming or should i say extended touring , i cant avoid the soaps and to keep the peace i sit through them silently fingers in ears gently rocking backwards and forwards.
Its a hard life ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were just watching Dragons Den, something we don't normally watch, anyway this guy had a business supplying a universal manhole key which Debra Meadon invested in. I thought a key such as this would be extremely handy for wildcampers
Some strange things on there, this one , he started making 18 years ago and he was surprised when no one wanted it at £200 and went bankrupt now he's making it for£34, whatever could have been the difference?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Some strange things on there, this one , he started making 18 years ago and he was surprised when no one wanted it at £200 and went bankrupt now he's making it for£34, whatever could have been the difference?
China or india I would think slave labor in the back streets of delli or Bainge

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Doh , im wrong as normal. Its corrie, since fulltiming or should i say extended touring , i cant avoid the soaps and to keep the peace i sit through them silently fingers in ears gently rocking backwards and forwards.
Its a hard life ;)
Cant get them on our tv. BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
China or india I would think slave labor in the back streets of delli or Bainge
No it's only a metal bar with a variety of screw on ends like a glorified drain rod, don't know where he could have £200 from and remember this was 18 years ago(n)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Never had to lift a street manhole to dump my black or gray waste.
Plenty of toilets around or in to the woods dig a hole and burry it we don't use chemicals.
We have a Trog
Willdbill

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Travellers" do it all the time,and sometimes don't even replace the lid. You may find that you need a sledge hammer as well to,"Bounce" a cover off,you would be surprised how well stuck/seated,some have become,while your at it,you could open up a water hydrant (Fire hydrant " with the key,so get a stand pipe (I take it this tool will turn the water on?) as well,instant water.
Electricity can be obtained from a street lamp,that only leaves gas.... I am working on that, i have a "Graft" and a pick ,all i need now is a fitting so that i can tap into the supply and be able to turn it off when i leave.
On second thoughts,suddenly £8-12 on a CL/CS/THS.does seem to be a bargain,don't get me wrong,i will "Hedgebump" with the best of them,getting the cover off you may find,is the easy bit,getting it back on and seated right could be a different game alltogether,going to A,E. with a bad back,could be time consuming LOL.
Onwards and upwards.(Especially if i get the GAS wrong) LOL.
Tea Bag

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tell me why someone would want to lift a manhole cover, please? It has never entered my head .. have I missed out on something? :(

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The answer lies in zen philosophy....

Does a bear sh*t in the words? If he does, then best to empty your own waste somewhere else if you don't want to make his acquaintance in passing, hence the need to lift a manhole cover or two

Personally, plenty of toilets about, and even sites, so I have no need for anything like lifting manhole covers or digging holes in the woods

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Tell me why someone would want to lift a manhole cover, please? It has never entered my head .. have I missed out on something? :(
To dump their black wasted joy when on the road.
I wild camp all the time and never had a nead to do that
Willdbill

Deleted User
Please bear in mind that said manholes are actually Inspection Chambers and at some stage some unfortunate will have to descend into them using the rungs on the side so thoughtfully covered in shit by passing motorhomers:)

May only apply to deeper ones:)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Are you suggesting that it might be best to dump the shit on them whilst they are still lurking down the holes doing their "inspection"?

Probably a good idea, at least the target can't move very far :giggle:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With that kit there are many BT manholes you could actually camp in. Locally there are a few with a vertical shaft & 4 metre tunnel opening into a 10' x 12' space. Admittedly there's a little water gets in - and occasionally some form of inflammable gas. And maybe a few rats. £50 for a set of keys is a lot cheaper than a MH though:D.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp

Hi movan
Whatever else have you missed out on ? I am SURE.. If you were to put a list up................ Oh Thrice LOL!!.
Tea Bag
PS. Now STOP leading me/us astray!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
40 years a plumber and there is no such thing as a universal manhole key other than a hammer chisel and a good bar

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Most covers are not marked as to it they are surface water or foul sewers
Do you really want to empty your black tank to the surface water and into the nearest stream

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Most covers are not marked as to it they are surface water or foul sewers
Do you really want to empty your black tank to the surface water and into the nearest stream
in spain sewage is sanieamento. or something like that and in portugal its escosses or something like that.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
They are sometimes marked SW & FW in uk but they can get mixed up as they are often next to each other

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
in spain sewage is sanieamento. or something like that and in portugal its escosses or something like that.

ESGOTOS in Portugal, don't know if that's how they spell it but it's written on the manhole cover.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
ESGOTOS in Portugal, don't know if that's how they spell it but it's written on the manhole cover.
Hi
If you think i am going around lifting various "Lids" up and getting thrown in the slammer,you are mistaken,better idea...Lets get JJ to do it.
Don't you just love it,when a plan comes together.......
Tea Bag

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just couldnt remember the correct spellings i wasnt sure with the spanish one but have lifted loads.
as said in uk they usually arent marked ,always thought it was daft not marking them . mind as a water company worker you soon know what is what just by lifting and looking .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back