Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I have been struggling with moldy upholstery and smelly pillowcases which had been stored on board our sailboat for the last 7 months . Everything was washed prior to lay up and stored in plastic bags . The summer here in Florida had been very hot and very wet which explains why things were not as fresh as expected .
I was all for buying new bedding but after googling there was just one more thing to try which was to soak the pillowcases overnight in mixture of a cupfull of white vinegar and washing up liquid and wash on the hot cycle next day .
Miracle ! It works like magic ! I even washed husbands smelly old hat using the same method ! The hat was very similar to what Humphrey Bogart wore in the African Queen and almost as old ! His favourite if course ! The upholstery was another task and buying new was not an option so another tip was to sponge rubbing alcohol onto the mold to kill it after brushing it with a stiff brush and vacuuming . After dry it in the sun and sponge afterwards with water and washing up liquid and dry with an absorbent cloth . Again a result....all mold gone ! You should wear a mask when brushing the mold and when allaying the rubbing alcohol . I know I might be teaching grandmothers to suck eggs but I thought this might be if some interest for motorhomers as well .

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks - could come in very handy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
white vinegar has a thousand uses around the home, motorhome or boat

use it to descale water systems and boilers too

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
server is being weird tonight

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Will be usefull for Swift owners I'm sure :LOL: Known as Surgical Spirit or Isoprpyl Alcohol this side of the pond.

You can make your own window cleaner with this and mix with distilled water ratio up to 50/50 :)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Vinegar was the only thing that finally removed the discolouration of our kitchen floor tile grout. Been using it a lot now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back