Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Our handover day is approaching-Friday and we were wondering what advice you could give us. We've got a list of things we expect to be covered from using the search bar. We were hoping you could tell us what you wished you'd asked or found out on your handover day. Thanks. Ian & Lesley

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I tend to concentrate more on the more technical bits, such as the control panel and heating. The rest of it should be easier to work out once you have time to play by yourselves.

If possible, have a trial run of everything at home and if there's anything you can't remember, your dealer is just a phone call away.

Good luck and enjoy (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
If you are new to the dark art

Isolation points for everything

Filling and drain points and operation for everything

Toilet cassette operation

Every single blind/cupboard/door / light switch/awning

What are all the loose things for

Operation of the computer

We are about a month into ours and still don't know a lot. There is a checklist I used as a start in the resources section.

We had a very nice but inexperienced person show us ours, but my impression was we were learning together.

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
The checklist is found under resources most downloaded and titled
Motorhome Pre-Purchase Checklist

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I tend to concentrate more on the more technical bits, such as the control panel and heating. The rest of it should be easier to work out once you have time to play by yourselves.

If possible, have a trial run of everything at home and if there's anything you can't remember, your dealer is just a phone call away.

Good luck and enjoy (y)

I'm the same Ken, I think if you can master the control panel and the heating system then you're 75% of the way there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Many thanks we are brand new to this and would have loved a trial run at home but it's not possible. Thanks for the checklist that's great we've downloaded it and printed it!(y)

Upvote 0

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Many thanks we are brand new to this and would have loved a trial run at home but it's not possible. Thanks for the checklist that's great we've downloaded it and printed it!(y)
Spend the night in the dealers car park on handover and ask the following day what you want to know.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Most of these people don't have a clue, I had a ding dong with the crowd based in Newark, because I wanted to fit me gas bottle and check everything to be told it's been checked. :rolleyes:
The trouble was he did not know how anything worked, I asked if he was the trolley pusher :eek: that's when the trouble started. :whistle:

If it's a secondhand van take loads of photos because they stole things off the motorhome after we put the deposit down and managed to do 240 miles even though it never left the yard, but even with photographs we never got anywhere.:eek:

But yes try everything, video is good and even after he has shown you stay and play then go once your happy.:D
Good luck with you purchase. (y) Bob.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Get the handover booked early in the day, gives them a chance to sort any snags out, but my big advice would be "be prepared to walk away if things aren't right"
They know you will be excited and keen to be off in your new purchase and some dealers take advantage of this fact. I know this is coming over as quite negative but when we bought our van, we were stitched up like kippers at the handover due mostly to our naivety and excitement. Jim has asked folks on here to do a review of the dealer, but every time I consider it, my blood starts to boil !
Hopefully yours will go smoothly and we'll see you on the road somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Our handover is at 10. We will be there with the checklist. Are we meant to check it over first before paying the rest then? Sorry to sound naive. Never bought anything more than a car before!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’d check it first, before parting with money. Most of us are too keen to get a new possession home but, if you are able to walk away until it’s all to your satisfaction, you’ll maintain a stronger position by leaving the final payment until the last moment.

If the supplier is any good at it, they should cover everything and emphasise the bits that often cause problems. Take a recorder, but don’t try to video or your concentration may be distracted. Get the opportunity to come back later to cover the bits that you didn’t take in (make notes of queries during your first outing). There is likely to be an ‘information overload’, especially if it takes over an hour.

I’d concentrate on how to switch things off and on. Not everything may be controlled by the main panel. There is a lot to learn, so don’t feel ashamed if you don’t absorb everything. And everything they tell you may not necessarily be true.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Excellent advice. This forum and fellow funsters are fantastic for information. Feel as if all we are doing is browsing the site for tips and advice. Trying to stay one step ahead. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Is the dealer able to suggest (or even better pay for) a site local to them? This means that you can stay local whilst you digest all the information they give you, then you can call back to the dealers next day with any further questions you may have.

Some handovers are excellent. Mine was about 2 hours overall and very comprehensive with some of that time with us trying things for ourselves. It was shortened a little as I have been motorhoming for a number of years.

My friends invited me along to their handover at a local dealer to us as they were completely new to motorhomes. It was appalling, lasted about an hour with numerous amounts of incorrect information, some of which was downright dangerous. Despite trying to advise the dealer that some of the information he being given was incorrect, he just started an argument with me so I backed away. Needless to say, my friends were soon back there with a gas leak (no washer on the pigtail) and a few weeks later with burning around the grill which he had insisted was an oven.....................

Hopefully yours will be a good one with the information you have gleaned. Enjoy your new van

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Howdy ... :D

What vehicle/model are you getting? It might help some give info before you pick it up so can go in with some knowledge of how stuff works ... probably more than the person doing the demo for you!:D2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Howdy!:D We are getting an elddis Autoquest 195. The dealer is primarily caravans and the saleswoman has already said she "needs to read up on it" so we are less than confident it's going to be a good handover! We have the handover checklist to take along in our sweaty mitts and aren't afraid to ask but it's how much info can our ageing brains take!:LOL: There aren't really any sites local to the dealers and don't think they do overnight stays even if they did our dog might object :worried:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Howdy!:D We are getting an elddis Autoquest 195. The dealer is primarily caravans and the saleswoman has already said she "needs to read up on it" so we are less than confident it's going to be a good handover! We have the handover checklist to take along in our sweaty mitts and aren't afraid to ask but it's how much info can our ageing brains take!:LOL: There aren't really any sites local to the dealers and don't think they do overnight stays even if they did our dog might object :worried:
At least she says she isn't sure and looking it up, better than someone telling you they know when they havnt got a clue(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As others have said, don't pay until you are fully satisfied that everything is OK. Most decent dealers (is there such a thing??) will expect you to pay after the handover.
Unless the dealer is close to home stay somewhere fairly local overnight or, preferably, for a couple of nights so that you can check everything out and switch everything on and off to find your way round. If you find any little niggles you will be close enough to pop into the dealer and get it sorted straight way.
Most importantly though, enjoy your new van. :)

Richard.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With Becks we did not pay until after the handover and they were sure we were happy with everything. And they have a place you can stay for the night to check everything over complete with a EHU. Then the next morning they come and ask you if all is OK.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
I find it useful to download the owners manual before the handover. You can read this and highlight anything that you feel unsure of and get the salesperson to thoroughly explain/demonstrate them to you.

The Elddis handbooks can found here: http://www.elddis.co.uk/help-support/help-advice/handbooks

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
we had the fastest handover in history wot with turning up late due to the trains.......
we then learnt @ a later date how everything works.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Well just a little update. We got no gas cylinder! Even after haggling. But did get electricity cable, leisure battery and some levelling ramps. The handover wasn't very detailed but don't think we could've retained anymore!:LOL: They were very helpful though when we had to call back as we couldn't work something out- they couldn't have been more helpful! :)

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
How do you make the final payment after the handover? Is there no limit on debit cards? Or do you make an online transfer?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How do you make the final payment after the handover? Is there no limit on debit cards? Or do you make an online transfer?
You can use your debit card at the dealer. It might be a good idea to check with your bank first though and they will give you a number to ring should the transfer be queried by the bank at the time.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Get the handover booked early in the day, gives them a chance to sort any snags out, but my big advice would be "be prepared to walk away if things aren't right"
They know you will be excited and keen to be off in your new purchase and some dealers take advantage of this fact. I know this is coming over as quite negative but when we bought our van, we were stitched up like kippers at the handover due mostly to our naivety and excitement. Jim has asked folks on here to do a review of the dealer, but every time I consider it, my blood starts to boil !
Hopefully yours will go smoothly and we'll see you on the road somewhere.

While you have the cash / cheque in your hand
Your in charge tell em sort it know

Once you’ve paid control passes to them we will book it in a week next
Monday

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread