Handbrake adjustment on a Ducato? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I picked up a 2020 Geist a-class from Lincoln yesterday. I gave the van a fairly thorough check over before I drove it back to Birmingham. It was only when I had to stop at lights in heavy traffic going up a hill did I realise that the handbrake barely does anything. Even on a mild incline with the lever yanked up about a dozen clicks so it was squashing my thumb against the seat base, it was rolling backwards. My previous Ducato PVC had a violently good handbrake after a few clicks.

I'm going to contact CamperUK and see what they say. But driving to Lincoln and back is going to cost me a day and £50 in fuel. If I don't find any other issues to make it worth my while returning... what other options do I have?

I'm assuming the cable has stretched and it just needs adjustment? Could there be any other causes? The brakes generally seem OK, although not exactly sharp. Could it be a bigger issue?

If it's just adjustment, how easy is it to adjust the handbrake? I've replaced the front brakes on my previous van. That took me all day and was pushing the limit of my YouTubing ability. I've not touched the rears though as it looked more complicated.

Roughly how much would it cost to get a local garage to do it?

Cheers.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

Post no 4 has a pdf. Handbrake is a drum arrangement within the rear disc, if like our 2013 van.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I picked up a 2020 Geist a-class from Lincoln yesterday. I gave the van a fairly thorough check over before I drove it back to Birmingham. It was only when I had to stop at lights in heavy traffic going up a hill did I realise that the handbrake barely does anything. Even on a mild incline with the lever yanked up about a dozen clicks so it was squashing my thumb against the seat base, it was rolling backwards. My previous Ducato PVC had a violently good handbrake after a few clicks.

I'm going to contact CamperUK and see what they say. But driving to Lincoln and back is going to cost me a day and £50 in fuel. If I don't find any other issues to make it worth my while returning... what other options do I have?

I'm assuming the cable has stretched and it just needs adjustment? Could there be any other causes? The brakes generally seem OK, although not exactly sharp. Could it be a bigger issue?

If it's just adjustment, how easy is it to adjust the handbrake? I've replaced the front brakes on my previous van. That took me all day and was pushing the limit of my YouTubing ability. I've not touched the reaIrs though as it looked more complicated.

Roughly how much would it cost to get a local garage to do it?

Cheers
Hi
I would not consider adjusting the system without first removing drum/discs for thorough inspection. When rebuilding the adjustment sequence must be followed exactly. Starting by releasing any tension on the cables, then adjusting the brake shoe clearance. Then the centre cables and primary cable.
You would need good equipment to support the rear axle and may also need to raise the front, for good access underneath.
Quite few decent tools required to remove rear calliper brackets etc.
Geoff
PS. I am relying on it being the same or similar to my X250, otherwise please ignore my post:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi
I would not consider adjusting the system without first removing drum/discs for thorough inspection. When rebuilding the adjustment sequence must be followed exactly. Starting by releasing any tension on the cables, then adjusting the brake shoe clearance. Then the centre cables and primary cable.
You would need good equipment to support the rear axle and may also need to raise the front, for good access underneath.
Quite few decent tools required to remove rear calliper brackets etc.
Geoff
PS. I am relying on it being the same or similar to my X250, otherwise please ignore my post:giggle:
I've got axle stands, a torque wrench and a breaker bar. So I can jack it up and get the wheels off the floor. But if it requires disassembly or anything complex, then I'm out. I wasn't that confident when I did the front discs and pads on the previous van, but that went OK. But that's the most critical piece of DIY maintenance I've done.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I think you can adjust it at the balance fulcrum about half way along the underside where the single cable from the lever is joined to the cable that goes to the rear drum mechanism. Very easy if you can get under your van.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think you can adjust it at the balance fulcrum about half way along the underside where the single cable from the lever is joined to the cable that goes to the rear drum mechanism. Very easy if you can get under your van.
So if I assume that it's the cable is really slack, that would work.

I guess the issue is that it might be that all the pull is going on one side, or only one side is working?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I only need to adjust the handbrake cable a couple of click, but I still not found the adjuster that appears to be near the rear axle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No you can't, not efficiently anyway.
There's a sequence to adjusting starting by slackening the cable then adjusting the brakes themselves until they just bind then backing off slightly until free to turn without resistance.
When that's done adjust the cables taking up any slack and getting a few clicks on the handbrake lever.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
No you can't, not efficiently anyway.
There's a sequence to adjusting starting by slackening the cable then adjusting the brakes themselves until they just bind then backing off slightly until free to turn without resistance.
When that's done adjust the cables taking up any slack and getting a few clicks on the handbrake lever.
But that would be to big a job for the OP so as an interim until a trip to CamperUK is worthwhile it will be a vast improvement

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Before you start *investigating* surely the van is under warranty ? Just look for the nearest fiat van repairers nearest to you, if you start messing the warranty will be invalid Guest truck in Birmingham would be my first and free call1

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
It actually causes me physical pain when I hear a handbrake pulled up on the ratchet!

Is that just me??
I feel it's laziness. It annoys me also🤔

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It actually causes me physical pain when I hear a handbrake pulled up on the ratchet!

Is that just me??
Yes it used to be a failure on driving test. now ,apparently unless you pull it up so that it clicks & so the tester can hear it ,it is a fail.
Before you start *investigating* surely the van is under warranty ? Just look for the nearest fiat van repairers nearest to you, if you start messing the warranty will be invalid Guest truck in Birmingham would be my first and free call1
As above ring the dealer tell them the andbrake does not work ,nor did it work when they spplied it to yo. you want it sorted correctly with photographic evidence from back to front along with compensation for time & diesel , if retrrning , or the easier option is that they pay for the Fiat dealer in Brum to sort it.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
you only need to jack up one side at a time and remove one wheel bolt to access the adjuster and click it up abit

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Is that just me??
I agree. But it is the recommended method in every vehicle manual. It reduces the chance that the ratchet mechanism fails to engage, or the chance that you manage to get it between pawls and it pings off apparently.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you only need to jack up one side at a time and remove one wheel bolt to access the adjuster and click it up abit
thats for the foot brakes the hand brake shoes are in the center of the drum very prone to getting water in and seizing i would get it back to uk campers my selfunless they agree to pay a local main dealer

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I am assuming its on a ducato base so thats for the handbrake shoes rear footbrake are discs so pads and no adjustment

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I think in the circumstances I would try and speak to Jeremy Hemmings in warranty dept or one of the owners, Alan Pickering, & explain how disappointing they have supplied the vehicle not fit or safe to use & have them come to you, agree for a local Fiat Professional agent, like them, to fix it or refund you the costs to return to them. I’ve personally found them excellent & would be surprised if they didn’t meet your needs. I certainly would not be doing it myself

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I emailed the dealer. They replied in about 30 mins with the address of my nearest Fiat Professional garage and said they'd pay the bill. Should have been picked up before sale, but I'll take it. Thanks for the advice all.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If you remove 1 wheel stud you will get access to the brake from adjustment . It is a clogged wheel that you adjust up or down with a screwdriver . Jack up one side at a time , adjust it until it starts to bind then let it off a couple of teeth to allow for heat expansion . Failing that check the cables.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back