Hand paint job (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
I have been following many threads on different forums, where people roller Rustoleum paint on by hand with a bit of wet and dry in-between coats. Any comments on this idea?

They also seem to suggest it should be Rustoleum Combicolor but I can only find limited colours with the Combicolor. Anyone know if there other colours would be any good for painting a van. There RAL colours are great but I am not sure if they are for metal

Any ideas?
Or anyone know where I can buy suitable paints?

Cheers

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would strongly advise against it. Did a couple of panels on my old van to repair a dodgy paint job and it yellowed badly very quickly. It also didn't look very good unless it was freshly cleaned and you didn't get within 2-3 meters.

If you want a better option, do a DIY vinyl wrap on it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Check out CJ (AKA Project Amber on You Tube), having said that I see you have a Vario, so I guess you already know better than I do, what paint options are available for hand brush/roller application, from the Vario owners social media pages.
I dont like the rough finish "Raptor Type" mat paints, unless you are trying to cover up what's underneath.
Good luck with your project, hope you sign up to Fun, you and Tam would have a lot to talk about as he is mid way through his Vario build/re-build.
OR.....For something completely off the scale!:eek:
Check out the amazing paint job that has been done by a graffiti artist on "Isambards" Vario on You tube, its amazin!(y)
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
You can get a fantastic finish with using rustoleum and a roller.
I used it on the whole body of my vw T25 after doing lots of bodywork.
Also used it on the Fibreglass roof with no problems.
However to get a good finish requires lots of work before and during the painting .
Rustoleum tskes ages to harden enough to flat back prior to re coating.
The only downside i came across was that with time it does tend to chip easily.
But im talking years.
Its a good , cheap way to paint your van but be prepared for lots of work.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Preparation, preparation, preparation!!!

Lots of sanding and more sanding!

Cheers James

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I did experiment a bit with Rustoleum when I repainted my MGB. It worked fairly well using a foam roller (it does create bubbles which need a light roller to get rid of them). As it was thinned with white spirits it took a day between coats so was a bit slow to apply enough coats. I ended up using cellulose applied with one of those HVLP fence sprayers. Still needed a couple of months to harden up though.

I agree that whatever you use a lot of elbow grease, wet and dry and a polishing machine are needed.

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Hand job on my paintwork

I have read that you can get a good finish but as Jamesh and dazandandrea have stated. What I am not going to do is have a pro respray. There is off course the chance that I could spray it? Without any experience. Cheap Chinese spray gun and you tube vid

:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back