Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
In a couple of weeks we will be picking up our new motorhome
Before driving away is there anything we must check or make sure we have /have not before our long drive back to Cumbria from Somerset.
It's our first van and being such a long way from the dealer we must get it right
Thanks
Barb.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just make sure they show you everything is working as it should...

Not to just tell you how things work..... but see them working...(y)

And make sure all the manual`s are with the vehicle, a lot of NOT Working`s can be sorted by reading the manual`s.... :nod::nod:

Good luck and have a safe enjoyable drive home.. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
If you have the time spend the first day/night at a campsite close to the supplier.
Play act a typical day: cooking a meal, loafing, making the beds, having a wash, filling and emptying water and the loo.
If there is anything you can't remember I bet someone on the site will know. If not it will only be a quick call / trip to the supplier.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Barb,
Make sure you know how things work, and are happy with it. Have some water on board, and a few essentials for making a sandwich, and a drink. Then if you are not in a hurry, wander up home, partly off the motorway and enjoy the scenery and your new found joy.

Craig

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Enjoy the learning curve!! My top tip, having taken possession of Lizzie 8 weeks ago, is make sure the water system is full and primed!! A relatively minor task, but I simply heard the pump running as the system had been drained down, then when I did fill it etc I discovered a cracked filter bowl which then caused the system to cavitate. £12 and 20 minutes to remedy, but an inconvenience nonetheless. Oh and check the toilet flush too!! Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi enjoy van,i did opposite way round somerset to kendal, stayed night before did px next day, gary at kendal could not have been more helpfull then we continued holiday ,you will learn to get to know your van still learning after 6 months regards. ps probalby live close to where your picking van up regards steve

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
From a comparative newbie so recent mistakes to learn from! - As above:
  • get them to show you everything working
    • awning light; fridge set on gas as well as electrickery; water and heating system etc
  • video the handover
    • if you're like us, the handover was so detailed that we couldn't remember how anything worked
  • stay very near the dealer's for at least one night, preferably 2
    • in case they need to get a part in to fix something - we found on our first night in a brand-new van that when we turned any water tap off, the whole electrical system also switched off
  • make sure you've got a EHU cable and the relevant water hoses
Have fun!

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Can you camp near the dealer for a few days, both on and off electric?
Some dealers have a place you can park up.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The dealer we bought from (Chelston Motorhomes in Somerset) gives 2 nights' camping at a lovely little Tranquil Parks site within easy reach.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
if your near chelston you could stay at eddies place at cornish farm couple of miles from chelston fellow funster;,vanbitz, he will look after you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thankyou very much everyone for your posts ,our dealer is West Country motorhomes at Brent knoll ,highbridge Somerset .
We will travel down on the train have the handover then probably stay one night close by just to get the feel of everything ..I feel very nervous about it all, knowing what they tell me will go in one ear and out of the other:giggler:

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
In the excitement it is all a bit of a blur especially if, like we were, you are new to motorhoming. Don't let them rush the handover, take your time, take sandwiches, get them to make you a drink & have another look over on their forecourt after they have done their bit! With the distance, strongly recommend staying a night or two & trying everything out before your journey back. A good dealer will appreciate that you may need some advice & be on standby if you do find any problems - generally swifter attention on weekdays when more workshop staff are in. Hope it all works out fine & don't forget to book some Fun rallies (y):)

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just what everyone else has said, I travelled from Dumfries to Guildford and stayed the night on the dealers forecourt. Also I asked him to go through everything before handing over the money he didn't have any problem with this and we did find a small fault that he had to order part for, very minor so wasn't an issue.

Just make sure your 100% happy before driving off and good luck

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, Barbara when we picked our new van up from dealers we found that salesman had bumped it whilst moving it I noticed a black scuff on the front bumper after he had admitted he had done it he filled the fuel tank up foc only fair, I polished out the scuff later so inspect your van closely.(y)

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
If you could be a good idea to stay near the dealers for a few days, so any snags you find can be put right, long way to go back for any work on your van and a lot of dealers don't like doing transient work if you haven't bought the vehicle of them, good luck with it and enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Caravan site half mile away just google sites nr burnham on sea regards steve ps get off train at highbridge .if you get a problem mail me and iwill come and get you if im around.i live about 20 mins away
Thanks Steve I will have a look at the sites ...Max the co owner has offered to pick us up at the station so all is good at the moment ..but thanks for your offer .

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thanks Steve I will have a look at the sites ...Max the co owner has offered to pick us up at the station so all is good at the moment ..but thanks for your offer .
I hate to put a damper on your excitement but ALL motorhome dealers are brilliant until they have your money. The handover guy may well be ticked off by you videoing ( a mobile phone will do) the hand over but remember you are the customer so you are right. Taking notes is a second best, as you may not note everything.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back