Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I know... I know.... I expect there are many and varied gestures for each and every occasion! What I'm wondering is what set of gestures folk use when directing each other in tight situations?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There is a standard set of hand signals used for directing drivers of large vehicles, used by qualified "banksmen" in places such as construction sites, parking areas etc. Was trained and qualified when I was a coach driver.

I'll not go into details here but the most important thing we learned was to make the signals CLEAR and POSITIVE, exaggerated if necessary and always making sure you could see the driver in the mirrors. I always cringe when I see "the other half" waggling a finger whilst standing directly behind the motorhome. I'll admit to occasionally having words and ending up getting out and checking for myself despite a good reversing camera and properly adjusted mirrors.

And that's another subject! You can only judge position and distance accurately if you have something to refer to, so you should just be able to see the side of your vehicle at the edge of the mirrors.

Tin hat on! :gum:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I find the biggest problem when you are guiding other drivers into a position, especially a tight one, is, the driver doesn't look at the "pointer" standing in front of him.
Working on a Roll on Roll off ferry and Trans Tasman, that was our biggest bug bear, drivers ignoring the hand signals and looking in the mirrors.
However, reversing a M/H on the peg is a totally different situation, and the flippy flap signals :hot:Mrs McRangi comes out with at times, followed by the look of horror and the paniced thump on the side of the M/H generally tells me all is well. :hugs:

Almost! :dance2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It also helps if the driver of said vehicle winds his window down whilst reversing so he can hear his wife and the rest of the Camping and Caravan Club rally in Portugal all screaming STOP ...........

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The one SWMBO has perfected is the one when I am reversing to a solid object that I cannot see, ie post.
It comprises of her standing on the rear corner with one hand/arm held vertically higher than the other one.
As I reverse she watches 'the gap' and closes down the distance between her hands until there is very little space between her palms.
At first there would be quite a large gap remaining but, as she has become better at trusting me to stop before said post rushes up and bangs into the rear of the van:love:

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
There is a standard set of hand signals used for directing drivers of large vehicles, used by qualified "banksmen" in places such as construction sites, parking areas etc. Was trained and qualified when I was a coach driver.

Yes, that was the sort of thing I meant. We both drive the vehicle and so we will have to both learn a regime of signals - I guess they'll be easy to find on line?

We find that one of the main problems is height.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We use some of the standard banksman signals. Only few are needed, so was easy to teach t'other half.
The hard bit was getting her to understand that if she can't see me in the mirror, then I can't see her .... no matter how hard she flaps her arms :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am usually the one out of the MH giving direction to hubby, large whirling circles with my arm one way or the other to tell him which way to turn the wheel, a back/forth wave to go straight, fast or slow depending on how much gap is behind him, then when he gets closer I show him the 'distance' left by indicating it with the gap between my outstretched hands/arms.

Of course this only works if he bothers to look in the mirror where I am instead of 'wobbling' his head from side to side to see if I have a twin at the other side of the MH!!! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What concerns me is the number of MHers whose wifes gets out and stands directly behind the motorhomes whilst they are reversing ... sheer lunacy, if the drivers accidentally press on the accelerator pedal too hard they'd get squished ... seen too many close calls for comfort!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I know... I know.... I expect there are many and varied gestures for each and every occasion! What I'm wondering is what set of gestures folk use when directing each other in tight situations?
Move with the times southdowner, we now have auto sensors to tell us distance from front rear and sides with on screen displays. Another area of life like map reading where a wife has become outdated. (y)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Backing some people into a space can be difficult because they just will not turn the wheel! Why?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
What concerns me is the number of MHers whose wifes gets out and stands directly behind the motorhomes whilst they are reversing ... sheer lunacy, if the drivers accidentally press on the accelerator pedal too hard they'd get squished ... seen too many close calls for comfort!
"accidentally" ? :whistle:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I asked someone if they'd mind "watching me back" and, obligingly, that's exactly all they did
....didn't even give me a score!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Move with the times southdowner, we now have auto sensors to tell us distance from front rear and sides with on screen displays. Another area of life like map reading where a wife has become outdated. (y)

Yes, we have camera and sensors front back and sides. Our main problem is height.

It's especially difficult on continental,sites where there are masses of trees planted on sites for shade.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i grew up around building sites and a builders yard bren grew up on a farm, so both are well practiced at reversing and directing large vehicles. we use standard directions that are clear and precise

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
This is a very serious business, not to be taken lightly otherwise the motorhome can be damaged or someone can be killed or seriously injured. I think the only way to do it properly is to follow the RAF method. I recommmend watching this training video:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
banksman.jpg

Found these, if they are any good? (y)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I get confused whether my wife is directing me or trying to swat away a wasp!

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
My wife always manages to jump out of the way just in time :oops::oops::oops::oops:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The most annoying hand gestures given by the banksman is the twirling finger thing. Do they realised it is reversed in the mirror? Have they taken account of this? If the banksman wants me to go left, put the left arm out. Twirling the finger round and round means nothing to the driver.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The most annoying hand gestures given by the banksman is the twirling finger thing. Do they realised it is reversed in the mirror? Have they taken account of this? If the banksman wants me to go left, put the left arm out. Twirling the finger round and round means nothing to the driver.

I thought the 'twirly' uppy and downy was for crane or tipper truck drivers.
Was in my time a few years ago. Direction was always firm left and right.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Haha very good!!!

Question,,,,
Why after the plane moves past him does he duck down, or crouch to the ground???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back