HAM FISTED VISITORS - REPAIRS NEEDED! (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
A normally very reliable family member borrowed my van this summer to go to a music festival to meet up with some friends, one of whom decided to get something out of an overhead locker. What's the problem I hear you ask? Well, it would have helped if they had clicked the locker button before wrenching the locker open and ripping the catch out of the flimsy cover. I now have nothing left to screw the catch back into and so has anyone any bright ideas, tips etc. for repairing the damage so I can refix the catch? I also have the same problem with a panel that extends to widen the bed base to a full size double when the hinge screws pulled out when the bed was sat upon in the "wrong place".
Funsters ..... Help please!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Difficult to say without seeing pictures but could you plate it with another piece of timber (inside the locker)?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Move the catch a bit to one side.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try stuffing holes with PVA glue and matchstick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Try stuffing holes with PVA glue and matchstick
The cupboard is probably made of fibreboard or chipboard. That's wood fibres or wood chips held together by glue. Mix the PVA glue (white wood glue) with toilet paper (wood fibres with no extra fillers) and press it hard into the screw holes. Leave for 24 hours to set. Then you can drill and screw into it just like new fibreboard.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
try using the "gorilla glue" here's an add by the post office, but you can get it from amazon or aldi have it sometime's, I got my last bottle from Wilko £5.00

https://www.postofficeshop.co.uk/of...kZRJiOsRyujC4sqKIl_2n10JnH9ZHtShoC7egQAvD_BwE

but if you get it ONLY get this one, it expands in the repair forming a solid repair, small wood shavings could also be added to assist the glue. By the way all their glues are excellent, but they all have there own job to do, so I have a selection of gorilla glues in the moho and home. Impossible to explain how to repair the problem without seeing piccies of it, I've repaired problem screw holes in ours with it, perfect.

AS MENTIONED EARLIER DON'T LEND IT OUT IN THE FUTURE, my mate in Germany has the same problem with his daughter and partner (and friends)

Last edited:

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
If I may comment. DiggerJon (OP) has either not read your comments about photo's, and ways of fixings, as he has not posted since. I would have thought he would have at least looked in, as he had bothered to post a problem. As far as I can see it he thanked hilldweller, and that was it. . .

Otherwise DJ, please give make/model/age of your motorhome, this would help if you cannot for some reason post photo's.

Flook

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( that's really annoying ..I'd be livid. The only help I can offer is to advise you not to lend out such an expensive prized possession to ANYBODY.

Good luck with the repair.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
:( that's really annoying ..I'd be livid. The only help I can offer is to advise you not to lend out such an expensive prized possession to ANYBODY.

Good luck with the repair.
Can I borrow your van, Joy? :xsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would rather lend out my wife than my van
But I find saw dust mixed with epoxi glue usaly works very well bit mesay but when dry it sands back to a resonibil finis then drill pilot holes and refit what ever
Bill

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Mix some Araldite and fill holes then screw into it after cured always works for me.:xThumb::xThumb:

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
A big thank you to every one who has supplied their expertise and experience to my problem which I am currently fixing (hopefully!) As to lending out the van, it's definitely not going to that side of the family again, but it's booked for August to t'other side and I always get back a van which is sparkling clean, full of fuel and problems I didn't know I had have been sorted - so no worries there!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... and problems I didn't know I had have been sorted - so no worries there!
... but did the exist BEFORE you lent it to them???? :rolleyes:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Perhaps it is time to remember that

Your friends you choose, your family you are stuck with and ensure that you always act accordingly.

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Move the catch a bit to one side.
there is a catch in that, some how, slide to the right, 2 to the left, bit of music, you are a way,oh keep it to your self,
pj ps the van i mean.happy new year.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I would rather lend out my wife than my van
But I find saw dust mixed with epoxi glue usaly works very well bit mesay but when dry it sands back to a resonibil finis then drill pilot holes and refit what ever
Bill

I could possibly pick her up Monday, Wednesday and Sunday ??? (LOL)

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have a feeling that Wildbill's wife may not be that impressed. There again, it may depend on how wealthy you are:rolleyes::LOL:, then Wildbill may not be impressed:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back