LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi We would like to use a halogen oven in our van. We have a dometic oven which I find useless. I remember that some Funsters have said that they store their halogen ovens in their oven. Would a halogen oven fit inside a dometic? If so which one? Any other thoughts on halogens?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Just wondered why the dometic oven is useless - does it have a fault?

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Dr Dave. I don't know if it has a fault. I am new to this, but I find it very slow to heat up. To be honest I haven't used it much, just the grill for toast and that just dries the bread out. Also its quite high up and I can't see in it I'm 5ft 3 and three quarters:))

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Don't buy a 7 liter as they are too small a 10 or 11 liter is much better
Our oven in van is not bad but Elaine prefers to use halogen oven for roasts and such it's greedy on power though inverter
As for toast the dometic is useless as you say we use a standard a cheap pop up toaster
Great when we have hook up but if we are wilding on battery's and solar we have to be careful not to flatten battery's
The best thing we have ever bought is a small slow cooker it's used a lot for curries pot roasts and soups
It's not often we are on hookup we tend mainly to work though inverter
2 100 amp battery's and 280 watt of solar power
Summer in England just about keeps up with our power use
But when we where in morocco and where we are now in Croatia we have power to do as we please

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Hi Hils, I have a halogen oven which I keep in a locker- not thought of putting it in the oven as that is where I keep the grill pan and baking sheets etc. I love how the halogen oven cooks things-quickly, healthily and doesn't dry food out. Downside for me is that I can only use it on EHU as I do not have an inverter so I use my dometic when not on sites.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Personally wouldn`t bother with the Halogen oven, you`ll need welders goggles and suntan lotion whilst it cooks, go for a remoska instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We have a 7L halogen which is adequate for the needs of us 2. We only use it on EHU. It travels in the oven (just about fits) wrapped in tea towels to prevent any rattles.

The light going on and off doesn't bother us and I didn't get on with a Remoska although I know many swear by them.

Karen

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a slow cooker (okay two slow cookers!) and a halogen. The smaller slow cooker is in constant use in the van and at home (even on the move in the van via an invertor), the halogen has been used once and is now in a cupboard in the utility room.

I do all sorts of stuff in the slow cooker including baked potatoes (stab them, rub with oil and salt, wrap in foil and put in the slow cooker - no liquid) and have done sponge puds and pot roasts. Get a good slow cooker book (lots available for little money or even free) and have fun. I'm even thinking about getting a second small slow cooker so I can have two in the van. We don't have an oven.

If you do get a slow cooker make sure it has a low power draw. My big slow cooker takes too much umph for cooking on the move so it stays at home.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back