Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Any update???:)
:smiley: Success, very tasty caserole but I softened onions, veg etc before putting beef in (in the halogen oven) so it was all a little cooked before adding the stock. I put it on 180 for the first hour and made sure everything was submerged!! by stirring regularly, as anything above the liquid tends to cook/burn if you dont stir it every 10 mins. For last half hour upped temp to 200 and added thickening, giving it a good stir every 5 mins. Perfect. Hubby is veggie so while my caserole is cooking in the halogen oven his is in the double skillet :smiley: I very rarely use the oven in my range cooker now! The only downside to all this is that when I 'persuaded' hubby I really needed a range cooker and that it would get used, he disagreed and now has a smug look on his face :frowny: again!!! That will be removed over Christmas though when I use it to cook the turkey - unless of course the turkey could squeeze into the halogen oven :wub:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:smiley: Success, very tasty caserole but I softened onions, veg etc before putting beef in (in the halogen oven) so it was all a little cooked before adding the stock. I put it on 180 for the first hour and made sure everything was submerged!! by stirring regularly, as anything above the liquid tends to cook/burn if you dont stir it every 10 mins. For last half hour upped temp to 200 and added thickening, giving it a good stir every 5 mins. Perfect. Hubby is veggie so while my caserole is cooking in the halogen oven his is in the double skillet :smiley: I very rarely use the oven in my range cooker now! The only downside to all this is that when I 'persuaded' hubby I really needed a range cooker and that it would get used, he disagreed and now has a smug look on his face :frowny: again!!! That will be removed over Christmas though when I use it to cook the turkey - unless of course the turkey could squeeze into the halogen oven :wub:
Thanks for the update - I wouldn't have thought about using it for a casserole, good to know it works.(y). I'd like a double skillet but I think they're no longer available:(. Will have a play later .....
Wouldn't worry about the smug looks too much - I find it helps if you let them think they're right on the odd occasion :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
IMG_20141210_134506.jpg

I know it's only a humble bacon butty but I wanted to try something basic with the silicon mat to check it didn't melt lol:D

Seems fine - brill idea sorry can't remember if it was @Minx or @Puddleduck
Thankyou(y)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I know it's only a humble bacon butty but I wanted to try something basic with the silicon mat to check it didn't melt lol:D

Thankyou(y)

Can't beat a bacon butty. The first thing I made in the HO was toast 'to get used to it'. I watched excitedly as the bread sloooowly dried out & curled up at the corners. Went in the bin. It warms croissants perfectly though - take care not to burn the top (done that).

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Can't beat a bacon butty. The first thing I made in the HO was toast 'to get used to it'. I watched excitedly as the bread sloooowly dried out & curled up at the corners. Went in the bin. It warms croissants perfectly though - take care not to burn the top (done that).
Lol(y).....ooooh Jim's put even more Santa smilies onx:-):xcool::xblush::xblink:

must say I panicked a bit when I realised we had no ketchup or white bread:eek:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Minx I think, anyway not me.
Yes Mrs P, I realised afterwards but I was on my phone at the time which is a pain in the butt:xThumb: but thankyou anyway.:xsmile:

Hubby prefers brown (bread & sauce) Noooo :xsad:

Les prefers brown sauce, I prefer brown bread, just not on a bacon butty:xeek: Some things are sacrosanct

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Les has been watching the shopping channel as he's poorly and not sleeping(he said that was his excuse anyway:p)

The new jml one featured 'air frying' - now being as the tefal actifry is about £100 I wondered if anyone has tried the halogen?

The ad gave the impression that the latest model has some additional doohickey that allows you to airfry?

Opinions/experience/advice anyone please?

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We saw some of that too! Had to turn off though cos found the over-hype irritating. They had a pro chef and some of his results were a bit charred on top. And I had to laugh when he dropped some food he was removing with the tongs.
Re the air fryer I've read on another forum that this is well worth having but I haven't got one.
Did Les think the presenter was high on coke??
Karen

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
I bought the Andrew James 7 litre three weeks ago, to take away in the van, £25. I considered the remoska, but £150 is a bit much, plus it looks bulky to store. The halogen oven fits inside the van oven, plus at 1000 watts should hopefully be Ok in France. I,ve been experimenting, and I love it. Meat is beautiful and moist, it cooks my sourdough bread, a big consideration cos I will cart my leavain around in the fridge with me. Cakes do better in a ring tin. I found it,takes a little longer than the conventional oven, but I think it,s a brilliant gadget, I,ve hardly switched on my big oven in three weeks. Here,s a good site with lots of useful info
http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com

Cheers
Lesley

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We use a H O at home, herindoors seems to get on with it ok, uses it once a week or so.
Thought about taking it with us when we go travelling, but, we saw an Electric skillet and bought that instead. Its got a cover so we can do a roast in it if need be, we'll save on gas, and it's light weight, so it hits all the marks for us. Just under £37 so another bonus point!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back