Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am considering buying a 1300w halogen oven for use in the mh when we are on ehu. In calculating the amps used so as not to blow the trip fuses on the site am I right in using the following formula
watts/volts = amps. This would make the amp use 1300/24 = 5.42 amps which would be well within the 10 amps that seems to be the standard supply on UK sites and just below the 6amps allowance on French sites?

Norman

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Norman, I'm not a genius when it comes to all the technical stuff:Doh: but we have one of these and use it 100% of the time! Cooks fantastic and haven't ever used our oven! Never tripped out using it - but of course ensure not everythings running at the same time. We can stil have 2 electric rads on and boil the kettle as well as having the TV/Sky on - and it works just fine:thumb:

Can't reccommend the halogen oven enough::bigsmile:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have just bought one of these uses less power so a bit of leeway on the low amp hookups, we were on a site near Benidorm recently when it was only 5amp.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi do you think they are as good as the remoska? I know the difference between output, but I mean cooking wise? There is a big difference in price.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi do you think they are as good as the remoska? I know the difference between output, but I mean cooking wise? There is a big difference in price.

Impossible to say as never used a Remoska - but know others swear by them too!

The Halogen oven is - however - a fraction of the price::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for this thread. I was thinking about getting one if the van we buy doesn't have an oven. I'd also take a slow cooker...... we always took a slow cooker even when tenting.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nobody has answered your question yet......

Yes, your calculations are correct.....but on 6a hookup you will possibly pop the trip.
Your charger and fridge etc must be added to the total amperage or turned off during cooking.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Also note that the EU standard for mains supply (including the UK) is 230V not 240 (the old standard). In practice, the UK supply is often at or slightly above 240V since this is within the ± tolerance allowed by the standard. However, if you are on a French site, the supply may well be at 230V or a bit less, in which case the current drawn would be 1300/230 = 5.65 amps and as PPJ says, that, plus any other consumer would probably trip a 6 amp supply.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am considering buying a 1300w halogen oven for use in the mh when we are on ehu. In calculating the amps used so as not to blow the trip fuses on the site am I right in using the following formula
watts/volts = amps. This would make the amp use 1300/24 = 5.42 amps which would be well within the 10 amps that seems to be the standard supply on UK sites and just below the 6amps allowance on French sites?

Norman

Nearly, you missed a '0' off, it's: 1300w ÷ 240v (or ideally 230v) = 5.42a (or 5.64a)

However, it will depend on what power level you set it on as to what it will draw, so you could just use a lower setting to keep the power draw down on low power EHU sites.

My hubby, who does virtually all of the cooking now, absolutely loves his halogen oven, he does all sorts in it, from simply cooking up pre-made pies, pastries, yorkshire puddings, doing roast spuds and our particular favourite cooking joints ... the pork crackling you get from using a halogen oven has to be seen to be believed .... mmmmmmmm.

I can't believe the extortionate cost of a Remoska now ... there's nothing about it that makes it worth that much IMV, no matter HOW well it cooks! :Eeek: There are other makes too, especially a Czech one, which are very similar but have an adjustable temperature control so I think are better, and again for a lot less money.

As for Halogen ovens, you can get one for a fraction of the cost of a Remoska, £30 is what I see them for new in various shops, and if you can get a second hand one or a 'catalogue return' one you're laughing. They also come in various sizes but you do need to check the power input and not go too low as we found that the smaller (7 litre) ones take longer to cook stuff and don't have the high temperature needed for 'cracking' crackling or yorkies!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Had one ages. I never once had it trip electric. We use it in the van when away and when at home use it in the house. An old thread here.
Broken Link Removed

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Nearly, you missed a '0' off, it's: 1300w ÷ 240v (or ideally 230v) = 5.42a (or 5.64a)

[HI]However, it will depend on what power level you set it on as to what it will draw, so you could just use a lower setting to keep the power draw down on low power EHU sites.[/HI]

My hubby, who does virtually all of the cooking now, absolutely loves his halogen oven, he does all sorts in it, from simply cooking up pre-made pies, pastries, yorkshire puddings, doing roast spuds and our particular favourite cooking joints ... the pork crackling you get from using a halogen oven has to be seen to be believed .... mmmmmmmm.

I can't believe the extortionate cost of a Remoska now ... there's nothing about it that makes it worth that much IMV, no matter HOW well it cooks! :Eeek: There are other makes too, especially a Czech one, which are very similar but have an adjustable temperature control so I think are better, and again for a lot less money.

As for Halogen ovens, you can get one for a fraction of the cost of a Remoska, £30 is what I see them for new in various shops, and if you can get a second hand one or a 'catalogue return' one you're laughing. They also come in various sizes but you do need to check the power input and not go too low as we found that the smaller (7 litre) ones take longer to cook stuff and don't have the high temperature needed for 'cracking' crackling or yorkies!

I'm afraid, setting the heat control, on electric cooking devices, to a low figure will not reduce the electrical load. Heat control is by cyclic operation of the lamp/element (switching on and off). The load remains essentially the same.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm afraid, setting the heat control, on electric cooking devices, to a low figure will not reduce the electrical load. Heat control is by cyclic operation of the lamp/element (switching on and off). The load remains essentially the same.

I didn't know that ... so how do people do it then? We have an electric hotplate and can use that on low amp EHU without blowing it by reducing the heat setting .... we found this out as when we turned it up it 'tripped' the switch, so we had to turn it down and re-set the switch and it was fine ... :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If your on a campsite and PAYING for electric and it wont run a hotplate or halogen oven on there own, you may as well not have the electric IMO. If I was paying the price campsites now charge, the very least I could expect is a 10 amp hookup, otherwise I may just as well be wilding.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We had a remoska when touring in our RV, but then heard of how good halogen cookers are - and it is true. Ours was brilliant! We still have it and use it occasionally though the main oven now gets used more (that's Di's preference).

As for the use of electricity, it was to allow the use of such items that we installed 16A ehus throughout Parc Verger, so you can use these with no problem here.:thumb:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I didn't know that ... so how do people do it then? We have an electric hotplate and can use that on low amp EHU without blowing it by reducing the heat setting .... we found this out as when we turned it up it 'tripped' the switch, so we had to turn it down and re-set the switch and it was fine ... :thumb:

There are two different methods for controlling the heat in a hot plate..

Without being too technical I hope this explains..

Type A , has a simmerstat that cycles On and Off to adjust the heat output.. The dial has numbers , usually 1 -10 or thereabouts.. this is used for Halogen hotplates, therefore when the cycle is On, it is drawing full load Amps.

Type B. The hot plate has two elements .. with heat settings, Off, Low , Med and High

the selector switch selects these either as single element that is Low heat, 2 elements in series.. Med head.. and finally 2 elements in parallel.. High heat
so using in the Low setting, the plate uses low power.. . it does not cycle On and Off

I'm presuming your's has type B

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007

The subject was halogen ovens, which you originally referred to. A hot plate, which you quote above, may have a number of switchable elements but I don't think that arrangement is available with a halogen oven unfortunately.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Norman

You can get 3.5 litre, 7 litre (sometimes advertised as 10 litre including the extender ring) and 12 litre ones. Forget about the 3.5 litre ones as they are just too small, but the 7 litre ones come in a variety of power outputs depending on the make, the larger 12 litre ones, in my view, are just too big for a MH unless you've got storage space to spare!

There was a review done about some of the larger ones though that will give you some ideas of what to look for:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...st-chicken-30-minutes-clean-cost-just-40.html

As for the 7 litres one, the Andrew James branded one is 1000w (you can also get it under another name cheaper!) but some are only 800-900w (too low in my opinion).

I'd therefore suggest seeing if you can get one 'cheap' but with all the bits, including the extender ring - there are lots on Ebay, some new for a fraction of the cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back