LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
yes the kids where all very polite. but we had to go out, so left a bowl of sweets outside. with a note saying help your self. some one did and took the bowl as well. ah well got a year to save up for another one.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
This has also been my experience with young children.Their parents always visable and within earshot. Some of the conversations I've had with the 3_5 year olds are priceless. Last night one very young Polish girls described how she would brush her teeth after being sick from eating too many treat's. Her mother and I were in raptours. I too found all the children polite and curtious and many guided by their parents on behaviour. Brilliant and refreshing, yet I come from a working town with a lot of eastern Europeans settling here. Many of those who knocked on my door set a higher standard of behaviour than some of our home grown residents. Anyway, I'm a great a t supporter of this tradition and long may it continue.

Totally agree with everything you said....

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Yes! No doubt about it, the Irish are fantastic people. Don't rise to other members negative comments, your well above that!

You are right, I had a momentary lapse in composure, wont happen again! In fairness, this forum is full of really well rounded people and its a great place to be....cheers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't blame the Yanks. As others have said we started it long before, but gave it up for a "festival" that celebrates a failed terrorist plot against a dictatorial government.

Halloween has been popular in America for many years, but you can't blame them for our yobbish attitude towards it. My daughter lives over there - she had about 20 knocks on the door and had treats for them all. Without exception they were all extremely polite with lots of pleases and thank yous. All of them were with their parents - with the older ones Mum and Dad stayed by the road, but with the young ones they came to the door with them. Result was a pleasant and harmless bit of family fun.

I'm really pleased you have a great Halloween and enjoy it, but in our experience here we get the yobs just out for anything they can get without a please or thank you and we make a point of trying to be out.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Halloween gives me nightmare because my father and mother were members of a local school parents committee,my task was to carve 50 swedes into lanterns-I used to do this for about 10 years. My father got the swedes from a farmer he knew,who fed his cattle on them,the carvings went back to him when finished with.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we had brilliant halloween celebrations until 2 years ago when it was all sour - egg and flour throwing and stealing of halloween displays locally.

So we had one year when we agreed no one would put anything up but we would let the local children know where to knock and it worked.

Well this year all the houses put out the decorations in full.

It was a spectacle to see. The local children were told to visit before 8pm and all the decorations were down by 9.30. not a stale egg in sight and no trouble and everyone had as brilliant time. Shame it has to be orchestrated so hard though

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Halloween gives me nightmare because my father and mother were members of a local school parents committee,my task was to carve 50 swedes into lanterns-I used to do this for about 10 years. My father got the swedes from a farmer he knew,who fed his cattle on them,the carvings went back to him when finished with.

however did you do that ????

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Don't blame the Yanks. As others have said we started it long before, but gave it up for a "festival" that celebrates a failed terrorist plot against a dictatorial government.

Halloween has been popular in America for many years, but you can't blame them for our yobbish attitude towards it. My daughter lives over there - she had about 20 knocks on the door and had treats for them all. Without exception they were all extremely polite with lots of pleases and thank yous. All of them were with their parents - with the older ones Mum and Dad stayed by the road, but with the young ones they came to the door with them. Result was a pleasant and harmless bit of family fun.

I agree with you, sometimes I wonder about the ranting on MHF. I wonder if any of these people have been to the US and felt the warmth shown to us by the average Americans.
Phil

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I have 3 points here.
1 two years ago we ( Grandson aged 7 at the time and I IQ 7 at the time)carved 3 Pumpkins andf put them outside the door with candles in etc after the first knock at the door, and sweets dealt out, we heard a noise outside, went to the door and some little toe rag had put a foot through each of the pumpkins, my Grandson was very upset and I had to explain to him the kind of moron that does things like that, but also that not everyone is a moron!!

2, I have never been to Wicklow, but have been to Castletown Bere on the Beara Peninsular and a friendlier more welcoming bunch I have never met, I will cetainly be returning.

3, we blame the Yanks for everything, thats why we allowed them to create their own country (y) :blusher:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
We had Jehovah’s witnesses call on Halloween. At first I didn't know how to respond. In the end I gave them each a chocolate before telling them to f*** off.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry bout the damage Carolyn..

I have just had a weekend with Hallowe'en troublers too...
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Movan but no damage except to my sense of humour at 6.30am!
I don't mind the little ones who arrive dressed up with parents or older siblings hovering in the background, they are just having harmless fun and yes I do provide sweets for them. My heart sank because an ex workmate had emulsion paint tipped over their car one year, I was not expecting to open such a can of worms though.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
its still fun for most of the kids. and that's what is all about.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Morons indeed, the ones in my sisters NE England village that egged her 92 year old mother in laws windows, the carers had to phone her in the morning.:mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back