Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
Just collecting a few items for our first European trip.Needed a bulb kit and went to Halfords were it was costing£19
Since I wasn't sure of the type needed I left it and next day happened to be in independent auto parts dealership.They advised the type needed and the cost-----£8!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with halfords they seem to think people will pay a premium for convenience and retail packaging.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Sorry but you said 'I wasn't sure of the type I needed' and then quote £19.
Well Halfords list several bulb kits starting from as little as £6.99. Are you absolutely sure it was a direct comparison....

Broken Link Removed

People always seem so keen to knock Halfords.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just collecting a few items for our first European trip.Needed a bulb kit and went to Halfords were it was costing£19
Since I wasn't sure of the type needed I left it and next day happened to be in independent auto parts dealership.They advised the[HI] type needed and the cost-----£8!![/HI]

that seems very reasonable..

did you buy a kit for that price.. and how many lamps ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Currently on offer at Maplins with free delivery.

Starter kit with...

Ring Automotive European Travel Kit

ring-automotive-european-travel-kit.jpg

• Kit contents:
• GB sticker
• Warning triangle.
• First aid kit.
• 2 x high visibility jackets.
• Foil blanket.
• Universal bulb kit
• Twin pack of NF approved breathalyzers all packed in a compact carry bag.
• Set of beam converters.

All for £24.99, sounds a good price to me......
:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Well Halfords list several bulb kits starting from as little as £6.99. Are you absolutely sure it was a direct comparison....

Broken Link Removed

i will always knock halfords ridicules prices for a large retail store my small independent local motor shop here is cheaper by far than halfords :thumb:

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)

Broken Link Removed

Yes. I've used Halford's several times this season so far and they've been terrific. Once was for some urgently needed leisure batteries. They lugged them in and out of the store. Fitted them. Then realized the brackets didn't work for these batteries so lugged them back in and tried others. They couldn't have been more helpful.

And then last week we set off and one of the windscreen wipers didn't work right. We passed a Halfords and nipped in and I was surprised at their knowledge of wipers.

I know they are not the cheapest - they have MASSIVE rates to pay - but unlike many shops these days, they do at least seem to have staff who know what they're talking about.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you've got time try eBay.

I buy my headlamp beam deflectors in packs of 10 and end up paying £3-4 a pair, compared to the £7.99 a pair Halfords would ask, or the £50,000 the ferry terminal would charge me.

OP
OP
Angus dog

Angus dog

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
100 per cent certain that it was a fair comparison.The packs in Halfords were all the same price,simply a matter of selecting the correct type.

The pack I received has 4 bulbs.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
well, they have brain-dead staff....does that count ? :roflmto:

I went to Halfords in Dover 4 weeks ago for a pair of wiper blades for my Daughters car, after receiving an email from the company telling me I can have 10 percent off everything.
The checkout didn't take the 10 ( can't find my percent key!) percent off and I complained. Assistant manager appeared.
"No, its an extra 10 percent off bikes and satnavs only" and pointed to labels on the bikes that said the same.
" It says its off everything on my email" and showed him their email on my phone.
He rang head office, they said there was no 10 percent offer on but would give me the discount as a goodwill gesture.
"No, I'll have the 10 percent off because me email said so"
Anyway, I got the discount. As I was leaving the shop, I said " The extra 10 percent off bikes and satnavs offer?"
"yes?"

Extra to what?

Hmm, brain dead indeed.

Allan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I only go to Halfords if I have to. We have a one man independent auto parts shop and he is far more reasonable. Unfortunately he is closed on Tuesdays. Guess which day I usually urgently need a part.:Doh:

PAGR

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2013
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
I've wangled a Halfords trade card and some of the discounts available with that are really good. Bulbs, wipers, oil etc particularly. Their professional tool range is rather good too and often much reduced.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Halfords have not been cheap for years..............................:Nowink:

Looking at set of Windscreen wiper the other day and crazy...............:Doh:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes. I've used Halford's several times this season so far and they've been terrific. Once was for some urgently needed leisure batteries. They lugged them in and out of the store. Fitted them. Then realized the brackets didn't work for these batteries so lugged them back in and tried others. They couldn't have been more helpful.

And then last week we set off and one of the windscreen wipers didn't work right. We passed a Halfords and nipped in and I was surprised at their knowledge of wipers.

I know they are not the cheapest - they have MASSIVE rates to pay - but unlike many shops these days,[HI] they do at least seem to have staff who know what they're talking about.[/HI]

Oh no they dont........

recently bought a new tomtom from halfrauds.

i asked the till jockey (no other sales staff around) about it and she had to call someone else.

they didnt know the answer either so called a third salesperson.

believe it or not, they had to look on the internet for the answer :Eeek:

what did i want to know ????????

does this model have lifetime maps or just latest map guarantee ? :Doh:

the only reason i asked was most of the others had a label stating 'lifetime map updates'

even though the sales-team didnt know what day it was without looking it up i still bought the nav......cheapest price locally, in stock and good returns policy.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I used to use my local village motor factor for most things until they, regretfully, closed.

Halfords are very hit and miss in my view.

As PJ said, they're pretty good for sat-navs. Prices are good and they're good if it goes wrong.

Their 'buy 3, pay for 2' offers are worth looking at, too.

And, as said above, their Professional tools range is exceptional.

I very hesitantly used them to make Udo's numberplates up in February and was very pleasantly surprised by their quality.

So not all bad. But I do buy stuff like wiper blades, bulbs and cleaning stuff (when no offers) online.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
So not all bad. But I do buy stuff like wiper blades, bulbs and cleaning stuff (when no offers) online.

With so many people shopping online these days it is difficult for these small shops to survive, isn't it? So I suppose we're lucky that Halford's are managing to survive at the moment, as otherwise the only option will be to order online and wait a day or two.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So Funster A goes to a Halfords' branch and does not receive good service/decent price and posts "Halfords are crap".

Funster B goes to a Halfords' branch and gets great service at a decent price and posts "Halfords are great".

Both speak the truth...

Are Halfords a good company or not?

Who knows?

Why are we here?

What's it all about?

JJ :Cool:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
So Funster A goes to a Halfords' branch and does not receive good service/decent price and posts "Halfords are crap".

Funster B goes to a Halfords' branch and gets great service at a decent price and posts "Halfords are great".

Both speak the truth...

Are Halfords a good company or not?

Who knows?

Why are we here?

What's it all about?

JJ :Cool:

Comparison site ?:Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
With so many people shopping online these days it is difficult for these small shops to survive, isn't it?

I've always assumed that many of the online sellers are small shops and businesses seeking a wider market through e-commerce and eBay.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm sure Halfrauds get their wiper blades from the manufacturer with the most complicated fittings so they can charge to fit them. Our last motorhome Ford based had some of their blades had to admit defeat then bent one taking off the screen cover :cry: and got a much cheaper one somewhere else fitted a doddle.:thumb:

David

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Since I wasn't sure of the type needed I left it and next day happened to be in independent auto parts dealership.They advised the type needed and the cost-----£8!!

I agree unless you have a god son who works there, And gets you discount eg: socket set £80
my price £55 thanks Mike:thumb:
Dean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back