LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How do i use my hair dryer when not on hook up?

Our MH has a solar panel (80w?) And 1 battery under passenger seat. Should I get a suitcase genni? Or another battery?

I can't believe its so difficult to use a hairdryer! What do other girls do?

I'm finding it really hard to find sites that are open in north wales end of nov, for our first trip, so I'm happy to try non ehu sites. I'm even happy to sit in the dark under a blanket with a headtorch on whilst reading my kindle, but I need to dry my hair in the morning:shout:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks jonandshell, that's a very clear explaination. We now understand what to look for.

Here is a link to 'traction' batteries. Other makes are available!

Broken Link Removed

Here is the inverter Addie and us use-

Link Removed

Here is a YouTube video explaining an advanced dc-dc charging system as used by many funsters-

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKURbJOoICk"]Sterling Power - charging batteries - YouTube[/ame]

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Or you could use a generator or the shower block!!!!!:roflmto:

On the subject of solar battery recharging, it seems to work well for many Funsters, but I discounted it in favour of a Sterling charger. This was because, even if I covered our whole roof with expensive solar panels, they wouldn't have kept up with our energy demands. Especially in the depths of winter when in the Alps skiing!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You Prat !!

You can't patent it now but that has to be the best idea you've ever had. A nice piece of flexible pipe stuffed into one of the air outlets.

Pure genius.

This has actually got me thinking Brian, some hotel hair dryers have the sort of hose that might attach to the vent in our van bathroom, with all the other vents shut this might just work! Take out the little flap thingy and somehow fit the hose in, it might not be hot enough to style my hair but it would certainly dry it.

See you might have solved the problem!

Something like this but preferably cheaper.
Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Marymary, that's really kind of you thank you, I've just reserved a gas hair styler from Argos, will give that a go tomorrow. I'll google that site, we are loosely aiming to stay first night very near the dealer then head up to Aberystwyth to see our son in uni there (if he's up!). Then we were thinking of Barmouth, portmeirion and the llyn pen, maybe Anglesey before heading back down to home, but could swing via you.

:thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Take out the little flap thingy

That is quite easy, I took two of ours out because we always want them open and they could get knocked closed. Just push sideways against the spring and pull.

The only negative is the bulk of a coil of tubing.

Maybe the outlet air hose from a tumble dryer would fit the bill.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL Brian, I tried the hoses on the 12v vacuum and the one on the house one - one's too small the other's too big (I was thinking, I could use the 'nosey Parker' tool as a blow dry nozzle!) but at the mo, yes I do get down on the floor and use the heater vents. I shower and wash my hair at night when sans elec. Then tomorrow, when I get up it's L'Oreal hard to hold spray gel, and 40 minutes with the gas brush or the tongs. Voila.

But I never wash hair every day, being very fine (though thick and super strong so it does it's own thing mercilessly left uncorrected!) this ain't a good idea and if I put 'product' on it - it stops it going lank.

I was getting ready to kill myself actually as I can hardly ever get Braun gas these days, but I saw that they sell Babyliss gas in Boots, so I'll have to investigate their products when all else fails.

The other thing is if you happen to have an ancient set of Carmen rollers, did you know they are wax-filled so you can bung the rollers in a saucepan of water on the gas, fish one out at a time and bung em in DRY hair. Works a treat. You may get some at a car boot sale if yours aren't still up the loft LOL and boil em up at home which cleans all your or someone else's muck off them (cos mousse gel etc sticks to em same as it does to tongs, brushes and straighteners) and there you go!

Incidentally I still use the gas ones at home because they get hotter than any elec ones I've ever had, and with fine hair, it's essential.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
When off hook-up I use an 800w 240v travel hairdryer (mine's a DesignGo - other makes are available) run from a 1000w modified sine wave inverter off a 330Ah battery bank. 5 mins drying uses only about 6Ah.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Mousy!

I used to have short hair too and quite stylish. I used to use wax and my fingers to shape my hair properly. Of course not all softy when touching it , but can be an alternative.
Now I have long hair very very curly , nearly frizzy. I'm alright with it as I rarely let them down BUT having the fringe curly drives me mad! It sticks on my forehead and goes where it wants . First time I travelled with JJ in the Hymer I had a little hair dryer (stupid me:Doh::roflmto:). I was quite aware though that electricity might be a problem (I'm just nil with figures as far as electricity is concerned) but there was 2 positions on my hair dryer . So asked my Dad to measure what needed the 1st position: 710 watts was the answer. So I took it along with me and we tried it with the genny on of course. If all was switched off I could use it perfectly, but had to put the genny on . I thought I can't ask JJ to put the genny on for a 30 seconds use every time so there, I don't know what you want to do with your hair but I just decided to get mine straightened by the hairdresser. My fringe stays now straight for at least 3 months . I don't need a hair dryer anymore! Problem solved for me.... May be you could give a though to this sort of solution.....

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We bought a new dyson hose fits perfectly. I also have fine hair that needs washing and styling every day and this works a treat. We connect it to the outlet nearest the boiler and close all the other outlets it gets very hot hair dry and styled in no time.

Joyce

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We bought a new dyson hose fits perfectly. I also have fine hair that needs washing and styling every day and this works a treat. We connect it to the outlet nearest the boiler and close all the other outlets it gets very hot hair dry and styled in no time.

Joyce

Sorry to be a bit thick but not familiar with all ENGLISH stuff! When I entered in Google Dyson hose to see what it was it said it vacuums clean :Eeek: Errrr I guess you're not using a vacuum cleaner to dry your hair , so if you could explain or send me a link on which I can see what you mean, it would help me a lot ! Thank you:Smile:

Amicalement

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a very basic set up but I find that one of those super absorbent camping towels wrapped round hair gets it almost bone dry. Then I sort it out with Braun gas hot brush which can be used as hot brush,tongs and straightener. Actually looks better than it does when I style with hair dryer at home.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Sorry to be a bit thick but not familiar with all ENGLISH stuff! When I entered in Google Dyson hose to see what it was it said it vacuums clean :Eeek: Errrr I guess you're not using a vacuum cleaner to dry your hair , so if you could explain or send me a link on which I can see what you mean, it would help me a lot ! Thank you:Smile:

Amicalement

Motorhomes have blown warm air.
Vacuum cleaners have flexible hose/pipe. (Dyson is a make/marque)
Rather than getting on hands and knees, remove hose from cleaner and connect hose to warm air outlet.

And here is the Google translation

Camping-cars ont soufflé de l'air chaud.
Aspirateurs ont tuyau / tuyau flexible. (Dyson est une marque / marque)
Plutôt que d'obtenir sur les mains et les genoux, retirez le tuyau de l 'aspirateur et raccorder le tuyau de sortie d'air chaud.
Partager

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the help so far, I've now got a much better understanding of my electrical needs.

My babybliss big brush hair dryer is 700w, it takes me 4/5 mins to use. I'm going to slum it next week in a hat. Then I'm buying an inverter and 2 new batterys. It won't be the most expensive 5 mins I've spent but it's coming close!!

But you know what they say.... I'm worth it:thumb:

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Motorhomes have blown warm air.
Vacuum cleaners have flexible hose/pipe. (Dyson is a make/marque)
Rather than getting on hands and knees, remove hose from cleaner and connect hose to warm air outlet.

And here is the Google translation

Camping-cars ont soufflé de l'air chaud.
Aspirateurs ont tuyau / tuyau flexible. (Dyson est une marque / marque)
Plutôt que d'obtenir sur les mains et les genoux, retirez le tuyau de l 'aspirateur et raccorder le tuyau de sortie d'air chaud.
Partager

Wish I knew / thought of that before we had the inverter fitted... :Doh::Doh: not a pretty sight me with head on floor butt in the air trying to dry my hair when it was freezing cold in the alpes last february :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That':thumb:s absolutely brilliant

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It is entirely possible to have a reliable source of 240v when off hook up, without a generator.

The ingredients required are a decent size traction battery bank, a suitably sized inverter, a quantity of heavy copper cable and a decent charging system.

During the summer months, when blown air heating is not required, we use an electric kettle in addition to the hairdryer, hair straighteners, phone chargers, laptop charger and even on occasion, the compressor to inflate the canoe. Add to that about 4 hrs of telly a day and we can go about three days without recharging.

It really is a matter of simply knowing your intended electrical demands and matching your electricity storage (batteries) and charging system to keep up!:thumb:

We do likewise, including the electric kettle/toaster in the summer and other bits. The hairdryer we use is 1200w on high and only 300w on low. Recharging of batteries (2x125Ah) is by 4x100w panels

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back