Had your iPhone 6 repaired? Be careful it could be worthless (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On a similar note and mentioned in the original link, if you were somewhere without an Apple service centre (like @Jim) you cannot get your phone repaired until you return to civilisation. Now if it's still in warranty you might not want to get an unauthorised repair, but if it's out of warranty, you get it fixed it works fine until you install the latest update - this is where the claims will come from.

As an aside on that. some years ago in Spain. My portable hard drive failed. which had copies of all my documentation on it!!. I was forced to have it "looked at" in order to get my info. I e-mailed Western Digital explaining what had happened, and they came back an OK`d it!. When I got my info off the drive I sent it of to W-D and they replaced it!.

Pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It`s OK. but to be fair it really only does duty as a "kindle" reader, and browsing when I am too lazy to fire up the laptop. The size of the screen is really (like Smartphones too) to small for those of us with "elderly" eyes!.

That's really all any tablet, be it iPad, Android or anything else is useful for. It was never intended that any of them be a replacement for a full featured laptop or desktop computer. To get the equivalent processing power, storage and graphics performance you would end up with something the size and weight of a laptop which would defeat the object. The idea was only ever to get smartphone features with a bigger screen.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Perhaps Apple should simply state that ay repairs by unauthorised people invalidate warranty and that they will not take any repsonsibility for security of data to the functioning of the phone. People then an choose what they like.

They could do that but they're in a bit of a no win situation. If they did that and people started having data lifted the same people complaining now about the phones locking would be complaining that they were deliberately allowing the devices to function insecurely.

I think if it was my decision I would have done the same as they've done. I would also perhaps have tried to completely control the manufacture and supply of critical components so the back street cowboys couldn't source them in the first place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's really all any tablet, be it iPad, Android or anything else is useful for. It was never intended that any of them be a replacement for a full featured laptop or desktop computer. To get the equivalent processing power, storage and graphics performance you would end up with something the size and weight of a laptop which would defeat the object. The idea was only ever to get smartphone features with a bigger screen.
Yes - iPad for browsing, a bit of simple Photoshopping, emails etc., but the iMac is always the "turn to" bit of kit for anything serious.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015

Since Feb 2014 the Galaxy S5. Another feature that Apple copied. It's hardly new technology though is it, I have a six year old HP laptop with fingerprint security.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've read up a bit on this and unsurprisingly the whole story is based on a piece of misinformation, namely the definition of Error 53.

Error 53 DOES NOT, as has been reported, lock the device if a repair is carried out by an unauthorised person. It locks the device if the repair is carried out INCORRECTLY i.e. the security protocols between the replacement fingerprint scanner and the device are not renewed properly. The same error would occur if an Apple technician didn't carry out the repair properly.

If the unauthorised repairers had completed the job properly the error wouldn't have occurred.

It's hardly Apple's fault that incompetent cowboys are setting themselves up as repairers and gullible fools are falling for it.

Surely the best recourse these people have is to take the device back to whoever botched the repair in the first place and hold them liable for sorting it out?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Since Feb 2014 the Galaxy S5. Another feature that Apple copied. It's hardly new technology though is it, I have a six year old HP laptop with fingerprint security.

As I've asked before and not had an answer yet.

Do Samsung continue to support the device or honour the warranty if you let some incompetent idiot tamper with the device?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015

Do Samsung continue to support the device or honour the warranty if you let some incompetent idiot tamper with the device?

I doubt it but the point is that they don't disable the phone. There is nothing to suggest that a technician from an independent repair company is any less competent than someone at an apple repair centre, in fact the opposite is likely to be true as is the case with independent car servicing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I doubt it but the point is that they don't disable the phone. There is nothing to suggest that a technician from an independent repair company is any less competent than someone at an apple repair centre, in fact the opposite is likely to be true as is the case with independent car servicing.

Apple don't disable the phone because of an unauthorised repairer. The phone is locked because the repair isn't carried out properly.

This entire story demonstrates far better than anything I can say that independent repairers aren't competent to carry out this particular repair - if they were the error wouldn't have occurred.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Maybe someone should tell that to the "Marketing Heads" who are plugging the likes of the "Surface pro"??. The theme is "the tablet that replaces your laptop?"

Pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe someone should tell that to the "Marketing Heads" who are plugging the likes of the "Surface pro"??. The theme is "the tablet that replaces your laptop?"

Pete

For people who only use a laptop for basic browsing and email with maybe a bit of iTunes or Spotify thrown in maybe it does.

For people who use a laptop as an extension of a desktop computer - me for example - forget it. I run full fledged word processing and spreadsheet packages and the Adobe Creative Suite programs Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign together with other graphics and music software. Basically I can run my office from anywhere with my laptop.

There isn't a tablet in existence anywhere that could cope with any one of those packages and the bloody Surface "Pro" is a long long way down the list of the ones that are available

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For people who only use a laptop for basic browsing and email with maybe a bit of iTunes or Spotify thrown in maybe it does.

For people who use a laptop as an extension of a desktop computer - me for example - forget it. I run full fledged word processing and spreadsheet packages and the Adobe Creative Suite programs Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign together with other graphics and music software. Basically I can run my office from anywhere with my laptop.

There isn't a tablet in existence anywhere that could cope with any one of those packages and the bloody Surface "Pro" is a long long way down the list of the ones that are available

Nic.

My point. I too have a "loaded" laptop. In my case a P-C. (Dell). And don't need nor use lots of Graphics. I even dumped the CAD recently, as i cannot remember the last time I needed it! that free`d some space!!. But I suspect these so called Hybrids just cannot cope with much more than a Tablet.

Pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nic.

My point. I too have a "loaded" laptop. In my case a P-C. (Dell). And don't need nor use lots of Graphics. I even dumped the CAD recently, as i cannot remember the last time I needed it! that free`d some space!!. But I suspect these so called Hybrids just cannot cope with much more than a Tablet.

Pete

No they can't, not in terms of processing power or storage. All they've done is bolted a keyboard onto a tablet and claimed it as something new.

There are "lite" versions of popular packages i.e. Word etc and Photoshop but they are so low powered as to be pretty pointless.

I've got an iPad but it only really gets used when we're away and all I want to to is keep and eye on here and Facebook. If there's ever the chance I've got to do any work while we're away I take a laptop (Macbook for me because the main focus is graphics)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Don't know - I haven't had to invoke the warranty on the last three I've had. And I repaired a broken screen on a friends phone myself. (Competently:)).

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This still going on.. lol.
i thing's are lovely aren't they.
I have some colleagues who are involved on 3d design for the game and film industry. They produce graphics on a massive scale. Virtually none use macs.
But .. back in the eighties.

I have a note 4 at present as my main phone. There's nothing any i thing offers that tempts me that way. If it did I would be there in a flash.

As with most threads over 5 pages. . Each to their own

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@sdc77 if Microsoft could ever realise an OS stable enough and fast enough to let me do my job without it crashing or needing a restart or an update every 15 minutes I would give it a go because it would save me money.

To date they never have. Not ever. Not once.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Shame .. maybe you just need it configuring correctly. Bearing in mind lots do manage well with what is a more versatile operating system with much better hardware (and software) support. As opposed to a safe option.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Shame .. maybe you just need it configuring correctly.
Bearing in mind lots do manage well with what is a more versatile operating system with much better hardware (and software) support. As opposed to a safe option.

Nope. I spend too much time as a network manager looking after the latest unfinished, buggy offerings so I know how to configure Windows as well as it can be. Anyway that's irrelevant, Adobe openly admit that the entire CS is designed for Mac and doesn't work properly on anything else.

Ever since Windows 3.1 the new versions have been rushed out before they're finished which has meant they're inherently unstable. If Microsoft didn't have the entire retail OEM market sewn up as a closed shop Windows would have either disappeared without trace years ago or they would have been forced to develop new versions properly before inflicting them on innocent people who don't know any better.

This coupled with the constant updates and restarts, not just from the OS but demanded by most of the software makes the whole thing unusable for anything serious. Why do you think Unix based systems are overwhelmingly the choice for anyone building major networks or server architecture?

I restart my various Macs perhaps 3 or 4 times a year and half of those times are for no real reason. They don't need it other then for major OS updates of which there are perhaps 2 a year.

Much better hardware and software support? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I can only assume that you've never had to deal directly with either Microsoft or Apple. If you have then that comment can only be :reel:

The versatile comment is so ridiculous it isn't even worth addressing.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@NickNic were gonna have to disagree then.
I do deal with MS and actively avoid macs .. but like i said it's my choice. And my (well informed productive and successful) clients choice.
Most of our updates are unnatended and seamless.
As for Unix. . Well thats not a mac either is it. We all know it's credentials for server deployments. . But that's a different thread.
:cheers:

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
This made me smile, from the urban dictionary.

iCult
1. Their leader/s may claim a special, exclusive ministry, revelation or position of authority given by Steve Jobs.

3. They use intimidation or psycho manipulation to keep Apple fans loyal to their ranks. This could be in the form of marketing of dire calamity sent by Steve Jobs if they leave; being shunned by their family and friends etc. This is a vital part of the mind control process.

4. Apple fans will be expected to give substantial financial support to the iCult. This could be compulsory tithing (which is checked); signing over all their property on entering the iCult; coercive methods of instilling guilt on those who have not contributed; selling other goods for the iCult as part of their "ministry".

5. iPad-based cults may ridicule technologies that take up free-will offerings

6. There will be great emphasis on loyalty to the iCult and its marketing. The lives of Apple fans will be totally absorbed into the iCult's activities. They will have little or no time to think for themselves because of physical and emotional exhaustion. This is also a vital part of the mind control process.

9. Any dissent or questioning of the iCult's marketing is discouraged. Criticism in any form is seen as rebellion. There will be an emphasis on authority, unquestioning obedience and submission.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Typically it took two law suits, one in Australia and one in the US before Apple took any notice of it. Well done the Guardian who alone with Forbes magazine was instrumental in giving publicity to it. The Uber large advertising budget of the richest company in the world and the threat of incurring its displeasure shut up nearly all commercial media on this.

Dick

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Common sense surfaces eventually. I always thought it would as no manufacturer should be able to stop third party repairs of their hardware. They may discourage it and the repair will be at the repairer and/or owner's risk but to prevent it was anticompetitive.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Common sense surfaces eventually. I always thought it would as no manufacturer should be able to stop third party repairs of their hardware. They may discourage it and the repair will be at the repairer and/or owner's risk but to prevent it was anticompetitive.

The point is that they never were preventing third party repairs. They were preventing repairs that hadn't been completed properly from impacting on the security of the device.

That, I believe, is an important distinction and I'm quite disappointed that they've backed down so easily. Public relations I suppose.

At least they've been sensible enough to leave the touch ID feature disabled with this fix so the idiots who used the back street monkeys won't be able to resurface in a few months complaining that the bodged repair has meant they've had their data stolen.

I would still never have this type of repair carried out by an unauthorised back street monkey no matter the cost and no matter the brand of device and would have to question the basic intelligence of anyone who chose to do so.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
That, I believe, is an important distinction and I'm quite disappointed that they've backed down so easily. Public relations I suppose.

Or perhaps they realised that their actions were unlawful and they wouldn't win the case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back