Habittion door! (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I just tried to go outside, well about 30 minutes ago, only to find that my hab door would not unlock. After much cursing and scuffed knuckles, I managed to release the mechanism, and have now discovered the problem. A spring has broken, see picture here:
IMG_1001.JPG

Where the arrow is is where I found the remnants of the spring. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement, and where the other end attaches to?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It might be helpful for others if you put up the make/model and year of your van. Hope it’s not too expensive. Our Autotrail one broke and was £110 for new firmest.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The spring went on my Knaus, contacted Knaus and they sent me 2 replacements free. Disconnected the levers on the mechanism and took the main body of the lock to local locksmith. He fitted the spring for a fiver. Could have done it myself but wanted to make sure it was done properly. The thread of this discussion is somewhere on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It might be helpful for others if you put up the make/model and year of your van. Hope it’s not too expensive. Our Autotrail one broke and was £110 for new firmest.
Oops! I was distracted as I was still in the process of taking the door to bits!
Its a 2011 Swift Sundance 630L.
I have been on to Swift, who only provide the entire mechanism, along with barrel and keys, the price, an eye watering £471!!
I think I'll strip it down and get a lock smith to fit a new spring.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this is the kind of thread that fills me with fear, away from home, middle of France that same thing happens to me, our cab door is not really an option for everyday use, nearly impossible for Lola to get through and awkward for us , no idea what we would do

Did you manage to open the door once you had exposed all the workings?

Did we ever establish what type of door it is? Ours is a Hartal door and the door handle does occasionally stick, got me wondering now if ours could be going the same way

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
No need to worry if it breaks whilst abroad. Take the panel cover off and flick the switch over to allow door to open. You can use the door by locking the mechanism with the key and opening it this way but when you use the handle it will automatically 'break' or lock itself.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Did we ever establish what type of door it is? Ours is a Hartal door and the door handle does occasionally stick, got me wondering now if ours could be going the same way
take the inner panel off and lubricate the mechanism and it will hopefully prevent the spring breaking

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, it's a Hartal door. I got it open by prising the inner panel, and then flicking the retainers top and bottom.
I have just spent lunchtime removing the mechanism, and stripping it down. The diagnosis is:
One torsion spring has popped off of its retainer, another torsion spring has snapped.
I shall relocate the spring that is intact this evening, and remove the remnants of the broken one. I shall then pop off to the nearest locksmith and grab a replacement. Photos will follow.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Very timely post, was about to post about our broken spring, second time it has gone.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
If one of the ebay springs is 'sure to fit; will send for them now.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If one of the ebay springs is 'sure to fit; will send for them now.

if its a torsion spring then its the wrong type on ebay

Yes definitely torsion springs. There is a place selling torsion springs on eBay, I am going to measure the springs this evening so I get the correct assortment. On the plus side the torsion spring set is only £3.99.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A slight update, I meant to include this earlier.
The actual cause of the spring issue was the central locking actuator, if you look at the original photo, the arm at the bottom is bent, and had got stuck behind its locator causing over torsion on the springs.
I have bent it back into shape now, and hopefully it will stay in place when refitted.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, a temporary fix has been implemented whilst I await the arrival of my torsion springs. I pinched a hair band from my niece, and it is currently taking on the job of the spring admirably.
Incidentally, when you have entirely removed the internal mechanism, under no circumstances get out of the van leaving the keys inside and shut the door. Aforementioned niece was fed in through the side locker to open the van from the inside - D'Oh!
The torsion springs are on order, will update on Friday if they fit.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I forgot the photos!
This is the mechanism removed and being repaired:
IMG_1003.JPG

Now here it is reinstalled with hairband solution - I am not going to reinstall the panel until I get the spring.
IMG_1002.JPG

For anyone else with this kind of assembly, the control rods are released by rotating the black retainers. The one on the white clamp in the middleish is released by disconnecting the rod on its top end, then pull it up and twist it.

The spring I have ordered is a part for a Miele vacuum cleaner, it looks roughly the same size.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
3 granddaughters with long hair, so will at least be able to access hairbands lol our habitation door does not have central locking though.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
3 granddaughters with long hair, so will at least be able to access hairbands lol our habitation door does not have central locking though.
It was the central locking that caused the issue on ours. The hammer thingy attached to the red servo was bent. It got pushed up behind the plate, over stressed the spring and snapped it! GRRR!

Miraculously the hairband survived the weekend, springs are arriving tomorrow, fitting on Friday - all goo fun owning a motorhome! :D

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thought I'd post an update. I have just spent the last two hours toiling away at the habitation door.
The first solution did not work, the torsion spring I ordered was the incorrect size, so I went onto plan B. Luckily I also ordered the set of springs that @TheBig1 mentioned, thought it would come in handy, and it did!
I have modified the lock slightly to replace the torsion spring with a regular one. Attaching one end of the spring to the torsion locator, and the other end to a mounting screw on the door, like this:
door lock.jpg

I have tested it to destruction, and it works! Personally I think it is better than the original layout.
Thought it would be helpful to anyone else with a failed lock.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well done! I bet you now feel a sense of satisfaction. (y) I am sure your images will help someone one day.

I had a problem with the catches snapping on our flip down monitor. A quick search resulted in a remedy with detailed photos from none other than our fellow punster @Stewart J so it always pays to post photos.(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
About to order the springs as back up after we get it fixed. Would have a go myself but have been banned. Should never have told J I used a suitably shaped piece of slate to fix my brakes many years ago.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
About to order the springs as back up after we get it fixed. Would have a go myself but have been banned. Should never have told J I used a suitably shaped piece of slate to fix my brakes many years ago.
There are so many little springs in a motorhome, it's the best £5 I've ever spent. Within the last 30 minutes I've replaced the missing spring on the skylight at the rear, it's been missing since we got the van so not 100% convinced it does anything, but nonetheless it has one now! :D

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well done! I bet you now feel a sense of satisfaction. (y) I am sure your images will help someone one day.

I had a problem with the catches snapping on our flip down monitor. A quick search resulted in a remedy with detailed photos from none other than our fellow punster @Stewart J so it always pays to post photos.(y)
The greatest satisfaction came from not giving Swift £500 of my hard earned :D

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
There are so many little springs in a motorhome, it's the best £5 I've ever spent. Within the last 30 minutes I've replaced the missing spring on the skylight at the rear, it's been missing since we got the van so not 100% convinced it does anything, but nonetheless it has one now! :D
Yip once a while ago i was up on the roof of our MH and i found our spring from the roof light had fell off and lying in the recess.
I put it back on and noticed no difference what so ever , all i can assume it is for is some sort of anti rattle mechanism.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi, it’s a question that’ll hopefully help this thread….

Could you have replaced the spring with your modification without stripping it all down, if that had been the only fault?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back