Habitation & water ingress checks (1 Viewer)

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
My Burstner will be two years old in April and aware that my manufacturers warranty will expire at that time and that the on-going damp warranty will be invalidated if I don't have a "water ingress check" I enquired of my Dealer.
The Dealership tells me that I must have the water ingress check conducted by a Burstner dealer to maintain the warranty and that is not incorporated in the Habitation check (which I want done to discover any faults prior to expiry of warranty). The dealer wants £106.80 for the Water Ingress Check and an additional £320.40 for the Habitation Check. A total of £427.20 !!
Quotes from Independant suppliers quote between £100 & £140 for a Habitation check which will incorporate Water Ingress & Damp.
I also asked for a quote for fitting a roof fan in an existing roof light. They quote for labour £534. The independants highest quote is £250. Where do these dealers get their charges from and - who pays them ?
I'm just angry that the Manufacturer demands the Water check be carried out by the dealer whilst not laying down regulated charges.
Any idea's out there?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Burstner should be able to give you a list of all authorised service centres - my guess is that those on this list are just the ones who've paid to be there.
But if you find somewhere not very close - you have a good excuse for a trip away!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I see they call them "service partners"

This may not be much help either, but at least it's Burstner's own list - & may give you another option???
Link Removed

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Thanks for all that. I've emailed Burstner for help.
My dealer is 55 miles away so I'm happy to travel although there are a lot of well qualified mobile engineers out there who will carry out work in situ!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Bought a new Burstner a few years ago and from year one just had the damp check done which cost around £40. The habitation check is a con, if your fridge or whatever was faulty while under warranty then you contact the manufacturer to get it put right.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well... it gave me something to do for a few minutes anyway :D2

It'll be interesting to see what Burstner have to say. I hope you find something that you feel is reasonable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Burstner being part of the Hymer group you will be stuck with having to get the damp check done by a Burstner dealer. £106 quite cheap for a UK dealer, you could probably get it done for a lot less in Germany if you could tie it in with your travels.
Habitation checks are a waste of time & money I've never had one done and never had any problems getting warranty work done.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We recently had the damp check done on our Hymer, at a cost of £170. The dealer tried to insist that we needed the full habitation check, in order to comply with the warranty. We declined the offer. The cost for both would have been somewhere around £340, I think, so the price you've been quoted for the hab check does seem very high.
As Lenny says, you will have to get the damp check done by a Burstner dealer, if you want to preserve your warranty.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Thanks Guys,
Burstners Manufacturers warranty expires after 2 years and my idea of the habitation check was to see if there were any problems anywhere i might not have ben aware of before the warranty expires. It should mean all gas, water & electrical connections checked along with appliances, damp wheels brakes etc. my thinking being that anything found would be caught within warranty period. Wouldn't bother otherwise!
I could understand Burstner requiring their agents to conduct the water ingress check if they regulated what is to be done and a published a standard charge for doing it. Much like auto manufacturers.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can't you get the hab check done by someone local & authorised who'll come to you & then if they find anything you can still claim before the expiry of the warranty ?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Premier near Chichester charge £123, Campirama in Belgium €60.
im heading over to Belgium at the end of march to have my Rapido check done and a couple of very minor warranty issues taken care of , my nearest dealer is brownhills and im not even going to bother phoning them for a quote ,ill combine a week long trip and the checks

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If I were you I'd get the hab. check done by someone other than the dealer that's holding the warrantee. They don't necessarily have a lot of commitment for finding any faults, if they would have to fix them for free ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Guys,
Burstners Manufacturers warranty expires after 2 years and my idea of the habitation check was to see if there were any problems anywhere i might not have ben aware of before the warranty expires. It should mean all gas, water & electrical connections checked along with appliances, damp wheels brakes etc. my thinking being that anything found would be caught within warranty period.
Wheels and brakes don't come into a hab check, they come under base vehicle. Hab check is what it says, a check not a service, they don't service the fridge unless you specify and pay extra.
If it is an Al-Ko chassis you need to get the rear axle greased annually should only cost 20 quid. Again something that often doesn't get done unless you specify.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It all sounds pretty cheap to me:) I know somebody with a Concorde that was quoted over £850 for a habitation and damp check.

Martin

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
And there's only one Concorde dealer :cautious: in the UK. Our Concorde was last done in 2011 by the previous owners. I reckon we use ours enough and are more than familiar with the systems etc that Im more than capable of self certification. It may not help if/when we come to sell but hey ho.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And there's only one Concorde dealer :cautious: in the UK. Our Concorde was last done in 2011 by the previous owners. I reckon we use ours enough and are more than familiar with the systems etc that Im more than capable of self certification. It may not help if/when we come to sell but hey ho.
That's why our Flair hasn't been done by the dealer either(y) I think or hope that any prospective purchaser would see that you know your van as well as I know ours and that must be worth more than a dealer giving it quick "coat of looking at" once a year.

Martin

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our dealership say that the damp test has to be done but pointed out the hab one isnt needed. We had oyr chausson serviced every year for hab and they found faults that they dealt with under warranty. Feel a bit nervous about not having a hab service but it will save a lot if money.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

I think for a lot of dealers hab check is money for old rope at the end of the day we all know if it is not working. The damp check I think is poss part of their on going charge to the dealer/agent I myself keep a close eye on the condition of our van and do not care for folks poking prongs into the walls and celing when none invasive alternatives work very well but of course can cost a bit more money.(not as much as a damp check at the dealers) and you own it.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Well, I think I am sorted !!
My Dealership (as was !) Southdowns Portsmouth, wanted £320.40 for a voluntary Habitation check + £106.90 for the comulsory damp check as required by Burstner. A total of £427.30 !!
I am now taking my Motorhome to another Burstner dealer - Heart of England Motorhomes - who will conduct the Habitation for £246. Inc VAT and including a damp check as required by Burstner. A saving of almost 100%! AND they will conduct a damp test only if required for £84. Inc VAT
I'm also going to get my new roof fan fitted at a cost of £250 against the £534 quoted by Southdowns!
Some firms just seem to choose to price themslves out of work and future business.
Norm

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My Dealership (as was !) Southdowns Portsmouth, wanted £320.40 for a voluntary Habitation check + £106.90 for the comulsory damp check as required by Burstner. A total of £427.30 !!
I am now taking my Motorhome to another Burstner dealer - Heart of England Motorhomes - who will conduct the Habitation for £246. Inc VAT and including a damp check as required by Burstner. A saving of almost 100%! AND they will conduct a damp test only if required for £84. Inc VAT
I'm also going to get my new roof fan fitted at a cost of £250 against the £534 quoted by Southdowns!
Some firms just seem to choose to price themslves out of work and future business.
Norm
Maybe they are used to quoting to Concorde owners who have nowhere else to go if they want a main dealer stamp as they are the only dealer.

Martin

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Norm
I would shove the Quote in Southdowns Face >>>>

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Tip - when negotiating to buy a new van, just as you're finally getting close to agreeing a price, ask the dealer to include the first two habitation and damp checks. The dealer knows it costs the business very little and will more than likely say yes if that's what's required to conclude the sale. Hey presto, no additional hab servicing costs whilst under warranty! (y)

(Still might need subsequent damp checks to maintain the ongoing water ingress warranty)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back