Habitation steps & Filling the void? (1 Viewer)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hello,

I'm hopefully looking for inspiration in how to solve our habitation door step problem whilst travelling with our two dogs.

I would like to make better use of the void left by the three steps up into our lounge area and had thought about the manufacture of some steps 'inverted' with a base to create a level with the motorhome floor. We could then use the 'additional' floor space to greater effect whilst travelling - somewhere for the travel crate to go.

Has anyone constructed something similar or come up with an alternate solution for their motorhome?

Something modular would be ideal if possible.

As always your ideas and engagement will be greatly appreciated!

A picture of our steps to give some indication of where I'm starting from........

IMG_0234.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would just use a single sheet of thick ply with inverted ali angle on each side so that it could sit supported on the existing aluminium each side.

Edit Bugger beaten by Lenny, but the same conclusion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
As above suggestions but I would go with "L" profile aluminium strip, installed on three sides at a height where a thick piece of well varnished marine ply could just slot into the hole with its top surfed level with the internal floor.
Maybe a couple of small handles on each side to help with lifting it up, or maybe even be hinged on one side if there's space for it to hinge up to vertical to get it out of the way?

It might be possible to use that piece of ply up on end too as a dog guard if needed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As above suggestions but I would go with "L" profile aluminium strip, installed on three sides at a height where a thick piece of well varnished marine ply could just slot into the hole with its top surfed level with the internal floor.
Maybe a couple of small handles on each side to help with lifting it up, or maybe even be hinged on one side if there's space for it to hinge up to vertical to get it out of the way?

It might be possible to use that piece of ply up on end too as a dog guard if needed.
I suggested the Z as no need to make any holes in the van, my 1st thoughts were an L section screwed in place, but it leaves an edge to bash your legs on.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Why not just a sheet of 1/2" ply and shape the edge where it meets the hab floor.

Andy

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Great idea, we've got a metal step and it's too big to sit nicely in the van step.
I'll see what I've got in the bat shed when it stops raining (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Not as good as a step:
20180906_164843.jpg

But fantastic inside :love::

20180906_164824.jpg

Needs finishing off with a rubber mat glued on top.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You're putting a dog crate on it so why make it level with the floor....you aren't going to see it or be standing on it.
Seems your fixing a non existant problem.
A sheet of varnished ply laid on the existing ally moulding will fit the bill.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.