LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Hymer, and according to the dealer I bought it from, Becks, it needs a yearly damp check and underbody spray to keep the damp penetration warranty going. They charge £195 for that. I can also get the habitation check done for another £100 at the same time. All I really want from the habitation check is the gas checked, because I can do the rest myself. A gas check costs £59 from them so I guess for the other £41 I might as well have the rest of the habitation service done.
Sounds like a stich up, Premier charge £83 for the damp check including the spray, Campirama charge €60 they don't bother with the spray the important thing is to get the Hymer sticker in the service book.
Gas check I do myself and I think I am more competent at doing a Habitation service than your average dealer.

That's a new one on me! What on earth is that meant to do - do they spray some coating on or just spray it with water to see if it leaks!!
It is Hymer branded underseal that they charge you £30 for, they spray it on all cable & pipe entry points under the floor, a bit of a waste of time as on modern Hymers the floor is GRP but UK dealers won't give you the sticker you need in the book without it. Rip off Britain again.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It is Hymer branded underseal that they charge you £30 for, they spray it on all cable & pipe entry points under the floor, a bit of a waste of time as on modern Hymers the floor is GRP but UK dealers won't give you the sticker you need in the book without it. Rip off Britain again.
I don't think UK supplied Hymers now come with a service book as such. Instead you get an empty A4 folder to put all your service receipts in. At least that is what I have got.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
In the immortal words of many a Yorkshire man - ' At least Dick Turpin wore a mask ' - Lowdhams are taking the pi$$ :eek:

Stevie Wonder could do the habitation check in less than 5 hours. :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think UK supplied Hymers now come with a service book as such. Instead you get an empty A4 folder to put all your service receipts in. At least that is what I have got.
I think you should have a service book for the damp checks, and water ingress warranty is not valid unless you have the stickers.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
My Dethleffs will have its first hab check at the Family Travel Centre in Bristol. £195 inc vat.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not according to dealer who checked with Hymer. He says keep the receipts in the folder, although not really needed because it is all recorded on Hymer's computer system. None of their Hymers now come with a service book he tells me.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Really you shouldn't have to pay if they find any ingress . The bill should be forwarded to the manufacturer.

I'm sure it will be... I was referring to the cost of the Damp Test.. If you see what I mean

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
The cost of the habitation check we had done last month made me cough a bit but turned out it was worth the money as they found that one of the heating elements in the boiler had gone. We would never have known ourselves as it seemed to be working ok. It meant we got it all fixed under warranty. They also found the carbon monoxide alarm wasn't working. I admit we could have found that ourselves, but we hadn't.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Habitation checks are a cash cow for the dealers, and certainly don't take 5 hours ... unless Stevie Wonder is doing a bit of moonlighting on the side ;)

I do the damp check myself - dead easy.
Functionality check - gets done ongoing basis
Electrical test / inspect - I do it myself, properly !! Not the half hearted "inspection" done by dealers!
I then get the gas tested separately.

I think that about covers it - aside from saving a whole load of cash.

None The Wiser.

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Trying to find one.
Exp
None
Try Lodge Farm Leisure. They are on the same road as Lowdhams. They are very reasonable. Have a look at their web site.

Mick

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
John, I had the same experience with Lowdhams earlier this year. I shopped around and found that Spinneys at Holmeschapel, Cheshire do a Hab test for £125 plus vat, approx £150. It took approx 3 hours to complete. Spinney are agents for many of the popular makes, including Bailey, so my warranty is maintained.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do my own gas check once a year (water gauge method). It's exceptionally easy to do when there's an external BBQ point (without a one-way valve).

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Glad I haven't got a Hymer or Knaus then if they feel their MHs 'need' to have this work done every year! :D

I have just had the 1st annual damp check from new carried out on our Knaus and was informed (in not so many words) that a full habitation check was not at all necessary and all that was required to keep the 5 year damp ingress warranty was the annual damp test which includes an inspection of the underseal and the repair of any road/debris damage to it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back