Habitation service on hymer . (1 Viewer)

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Just packing motorhome to take it for its habitation service or is it called check??? Don't really need to know answer to that bit but do need to know what they need to access and what do they actually do. We have to travel to get it serviced so are making a little three day holiday round it. Didn't want to empty stuff out unless necessary.... garage ,cupboard, fridge all well packed!!!!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Download the Habitation Checklist from the net, everything on the list says check not service. Most of the items you do everytime that you use it. Save money just have the damp check done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Empty everything you don't need for your short trip out. It is very frustrating for a technician to have to empty cupboards of all your clutter to do a thorough damp check, it can also be embarrassing depending on what "personal items" you carry on a regular basis. I' m compiling a book with photos of the "odd" things I've found in motorhome cupboards which will hopefully serve as my pension, to be published as I retire of course . To be serious though how can you expect a tech to empty all your worldly goods out to thoroughly check your motorhome? I've had vans in for work on heaters which are at the far side of the garage but there's two bikes, kids swimming pool, bbqs, awnings, safari rooms and all manner of Gubbins that needs to be removed to get at it. Nowadays I tend to just put "not accessible" against a check point if it means emptying lots of stuff out, remember the tech won't know how it all went in if he does bother to take it out.

D.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
I agree .... trying to preempt poor servicing guy moaning . Need to know what they do so I can make sure relevant areas are cleared . Being a lay person has its problems !!!!

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Download the Habitation Checklist from the net, everything on the list says check not service. Most of the items you do everytime that you use it. Save money just have the damp check done.
Thanks.... have done this now. Gas /damp check is most important for us . Have some problems to be sorted so might get them to sort that first rather than waste time checking what we know works as you rightfully pointed out .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
where are you taking it? I took ours to a local caravan service centre when we first got ours, fully authorised etc he said it was too technical for him to work on o_O

Used Hambiltons for the last service and will probably again due to their Hymer knowledge, but am open to other options (y)

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
My experience exactly! Seemed frightened of tackling a hymer! Booked it into peter hambilton as I've only heard good reports about him . Seems a long way to go but we're going to have a couple of days at coast while up there . Least we are safe in the hands of an expert. Going to have led daytime running lights fitted while there to avoid your mishap (hopefully)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
they manage to get my fridge light to work, but as soon as we leave their site it doesn't again o_O bizzarely unless we pull up on a random angle then it might work

could be worth getting some of the mood lights changed as well, we have done ours now, but they are hard to get at unless you know how

ours wasn't empty BTW, they actually said there was hardly any point doing damp tests as it would be seen and smelt before showing on a test, I wasn't too sure about that, Peter was away at the time and I might have been told a tale, will be interesting to see how you get on (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We empty it all for a habitation check and am shocked how much stuff nay junk is filling up the front room. Fills at least 5 big ikea bags. Every year I say we will cull some things but every year back they go!!

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Will report back. Changed most of lights in van to led already . Use mood lights only when on hook up though must admit batteries seem far better than on Burstner. Do you have trouble with the drainage on kitchen sink ? Ours takes so long I empty washing up bowl elsewhere . Taken surface off plug hole using mr muscle drain unblocker, uses a crate of cheap coke , bicarbonate of soda etc etc and still it struggles to run away. Even bought a sink plunger ! Other outlets ...shower /. Bathroom fine .

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Had a massive cull after visiting a weighbridge ! So easy to keep putting stuff in when there's room !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our sink is fine, think you might have blockage maybe

Our really heavy consumption lights are the useless rope lights round top of cupboards, still unchanged due to difficult access, but then the vertical one by the bathroom, the bathroom lights and the wardrobe lights, all those changed now

best of luck with it, they are a long way from anywhere to go while being serviced, I got a taxi to Preston (y)

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Might ask about blockage now then ....thanks . Towing car up cos got dogs to consider too!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Might ask about blockage now then ....thanks . Towing car up cos got dogs to consider too!

that might be fun when you get there, no room to turn once inside, you will need to reverse in (y)
upload_2017-5-7_21-24-35.png

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Thanks for heads up re arriving there. Will drive car from site nearby ... not too far .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back