Habitation History! Humbug! (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Recently purchased our motorhome and Was chuffed to bits! Thought we had covered everything possible with the purchase from service history , checking garage records etc receipts etc for things purchased (Timing belts etc service parts , tyres etc) before we parted with our pennies. Went to see the company who carried out the habitation history and was assured all was ok. So on that we bought it....Big Let down!
We have used the motor home on three two week trips to cornwall, Devon and middle England around Leicestershire . It was our last trip we found out that the habitation check was not what its all made out to be! We noticed water in the lower locker under the passenger side (We have the 2 berth Cheyenne LB version 2006). Thought it was from my boots to be honest so did not worry too much as the weather had changed quite considerably last week end. It was only when we were caught with the windows open last week when the heavens opened! Both Carolyn and I frantically lowered the windows to seal us in! It was then it hit me hard! The lowest latch on the passenger window came off!
On the end was a large lump of plastic wood hardener together with a length of blackened soft wood covered in mould etc supporting the lower corner! Panic!!!
I got straight on to the company who carried out the service who said Quote....." The damp test was carried out as per correct specification adhered to by us and all companies who do this service. The vehicle showed no signs of damp upon day of service" . I explained that this was a long term fault due to it being soft wood and not damp and I was told that it was " To spec on the day of test" No warranties applied or given!
When I got the truck back home this week end , I 'd arranged for the window to be taken out entirely by a local company who carry out repairs on caravans and motorhomes. It required a complete new window frame ( Wood frame ) installation together with insulation repairs due to the 'damp' turning everything black and mouldy! It currently sits on my drive covered with a heater in the cab drying it all out .
To be honest ..it looks no different now than before ! Apart from the fact it now IS dry (Or will be soon) and solid!
Would love to name and shame but I don't think it would get me any where?
It has been a lesson learned I suppose?
Just shows you..Not all is what you sometimes think it should be!
Could we have done anything else? Im unsure to be honest?
Kev and Carolyn

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Struth! Now I am worried! What and where next? :(

I will need to wrap it up in one of those caravan covers to keep it dry now whilst travelling. Might have to cut some holes out here and there though...just to see the road and stuff, lol:sneaky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You could get yourself a good damp meter and make regular checks, this will give you and idea of any change as it occurs.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The more I read these thread the more I am going to say..
Dont rely on a dealers / sellers hab report...
Get an independent one done, lots of people will do it with cars and get mechanics / Rac inspections before they buy.
My view is for £100-£120 you can have a NCC approved mobile engineer go and give the van a check over, If the seller wont let you then walk away.. If it comes up with faults you can negotiate on the price or walk away.

Fingers crossed your all sorted, As buttons says, get a meter and keep a watch..

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
You could get yourself a good damp meter and make regular checks, this will give you and idea of any change as it occurs.
Hi there. Funnily enough...we did and used it every where but this one point!
Thinking about it now...the guy who sold it to us was actually comfortably sat in this position arm stretched out across the back of the cushion? Ermmmm! Perhaps I should have shifted him?
It's no worry really now it's nearly done. Just feel a right fool for not seeing it sooner! It could have been worse looking at the thread Jim gave me! A little bit of wood rot in a window is nothing compared to some . Mine was easily repaired . By the time it has enjoyed the heater on it today..it should be all unkydory. Fingers crossed.
You live and learn ...always!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back