Habitation gas and electrics checks? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Hello All,

Could the more experienced advise this newbie what the going rate should be for a habitation, gas and electrical systems check, or does the tariff differ from dealer to dealer or workshop to workshop?

Could anyone perhaps recommend a company who could do these checks in the South Devon area?

Many thanks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, I cannot recommend anyone in your area but price wise it varies a lot from dealer to dealer,or you could look for a mobile caravan doctor type.Pricewise around here from £100 up

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Are you having any problems? I simply fix stuff when it goes wrong. Chances of finding a fault that's not there seems pretty remote. Save your money and take your chances?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
if your vehicle requires a Habitation check because it’s part of the water Ingress warantee then you don’t have a lot of choice and will have to do what the manufacturer requires. If it’s a foreign manufacturer then most only need a water Ingress check but the Dealers always try and insist that you need both.

If not then just get the gas checked if you feel it need doing. The rest of it you can do yourself. No one checks electrics apart from switching switches on and off to see if they work. On a Habitation Check they don’t even check the battery levels they just have a look round to see what they can charge you extra for repairing.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The most important aspects of a habitation check are a leak test on the gas installation, checking the gas hoses to be sure that they are in date and not showing signs of perishing. The gas burners on the hob should burn with a blue flame - any yellow and there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. They should also clean and service the gas burner and flue on the fridge. If you have some form of gas heater and/or boiler then that might need a service. If you have open wet acid hab batteries then they should be topped up with distilled water. I change the batteries in my smoke and gas alarms. Anything else waits until it fails and then I then fix it.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is the. Motorhome Annual Habitation Service Check sheet

It gives a detailed list of what is checked .., both 12v and 240v Mains should be checked and tested.

https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/02052012090346.pdf

a proper habitation check with take 2 - 3 hours.. cost will depend on dealer hourly rate .. £100 - £150 estimate

Find an NCC approved workshop here https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Hello All,

Could the more experienced advise this newbie what the going rate should be for a habitation, gas and electrical systems check, or does the tariff differ from dealer to dealer or workshop to workshop?

Could anyone perhaps recommend a company who could do these checks in the South Devon area?

Many thanks.

There is a company at Twelve Oaks Farm at Teigngrace which I used when I had a caravan and they were OK.

Highbridge, well known Somerset dealers, have bought the caravan/motorhome dealers at the Teigngrace exit onto the A38 and they of course do servicing.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
This is the. Motorhome Annual Habitation Service Check sheet

It gives a detailed list of what is checked .. and it's NOT just a visual on the Electrical System , both 12v and 240v Mains should be checked and tested.

https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/02052012090346.pdf

a proper habitation check with take 2 - 3 hours.. cost will depend on dealer hourly rate .. £100 - £150 estimate

Find an NCC approved workshop here https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk

I find it very disappointing that a proper fridge service is an extra to that checklist. If there is one thing more likely to give trouble, if looked after properly, than a fridge then I'd be surprised. (Did you see how I neatly avoided battery problems there?!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Thanks all for your sage advice especially feom my geographical Yorkshire fellow Funster (I'm from York) and from QFour.

I've actually put down the deposit and have bought it from another Funster yesteday having gone to it, seen it, and test-driven it. All good, a very helpful couple.

It's just that I mistakenly believed a gas and leccy check plus certificates were needed for insurance purposes, but LV have just offered me a quote of £319.21 (with a 'voluntary' excess of £400 and BTW they would not carry across my max NCD on my other cars insured with them - disappointing) but they did not ask about such checks or certification. So, clearly not an insurance requirement.

It's more for my peace of mind on, as Abacist states, the carbon monoxide poisoning, leak test and checking of connections and hoses. I'll see if I can find a reputable motorhome dealer and get the gas burner and flue on the fridge/freezer, gas heater and boiler checked too - but will check with the (still) owner to see when these were last serviced.

It may be that I'm worrying over nothing, but having never been a motorhome owner I'm feeling my way here - it's all totally new territory, so please forgive my perhaps silly questions.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Vans should have electrical and gas certificates when new and should be renewed at 5 year intervals I believe and insurance companies would expect this and would not necessarily ask. You have a duty to disclose anything that they don't expect!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In addition to the annual habitation inspection, an electrical inspection and testing should be carried out at least every THREE years..

IEE Regulation
16.13 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans

Initial inspection and testing and certification for caravans and motor caravans is essentially no different from general installations (see Chapter 17 of this Guide). As far as periodic inspection and testing are concerned, the intervals between inspections are largely a matter of judgement and would depend to a great extent on the extent of usage and the degree of maintenance. The generally accepted maximum interval would be 3 years (see Table 17.21).

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
A habitation service is like an MOT for the living area of your van. The service engineer should check EVERYTHING in your van including gas, electric -12v and 240v, all water systems including taps, pipes etc, all windows, blinds, doors, hinges, drop test your leisure battery and, most importantly, do a DAMP test and check all seals on skylights, awning rails, locker doors, GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) panels etc.

The cost of the habitation check is insignificant compared to the cost of extensive damp repairs or repairs/replacement of appliances. Also it covers you insurance-wise if anything goes wrong in the habitation area (e.g. a fire or gas leak) as you can show the insurers that your van was serviced by a qualified engineer.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
In addition to the annual habitation inspection, an electrical inspection and testing should be carried out at least every THREE years..

I stand corrected - I was remembering a sticker on an old van/caravan that said every 5 years that is obviously now out of date or the workshops are trying to encourage more work for their workshop/service departments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Good points all, many thanks. Based on this advice I'll go ahead and get the lot done, espceially if there is a statutory requirement for such checks to be

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
OK am now a little confued - is there a mandatory/statutory requirement to have checks done every 3 or 5 years? Thanks.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I stand corrected - I was remembering a sticker on an old van/caravan that said every 5 years that is obviously now out of date or the workshops are trying to encourage more work for their workshop/service departments.

Not the workshops touting for work.. .. that is advice from the IEE Regs

OK am now a little confued - is there a mandatory/statutory requirement to have checks done every 3 or 5 years? Thanks.

I quoted from the IEE regulation.. three years max.

It is not mandatory, but it is certainly highly recommended.. what if someone was electrocuted and it wasn't done ... ?

This is NOT included of the annual hab check..

• Why is a periodic inspection needed?
Every electrical installation deteriorates with use and age and due to movement of a caravan or motorhome, it is therefore recommended that a periodic inspection and testing is carried out at least every 3 years to ensure your caravan or motorhomes electrics are in top condition.

This is an example of costs and what is done .. not a recommendation for this dealer.

PIR - ELECTRICAL SAFETY CHECK - £189

http://www.aces-leisure.co.uk/servicing/electrical.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you having any problems? I simply fix stuff when it goes wrong. Chances of finding a fault that's not there seems pretty remote. Save your money and take your chances?
Totally agree, hab checks a waste of time, had 3 new vans never had a hab check done on a van, just the damp check for the warranty. I remember when we bought the 1st van asked our dealer about hab checks, he said if you really want it done wait until the van is 5 years old not necessary before.

Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Just make sure if you book your van in for a habitation check, that they actually check properly your gas and electrics. Most, that I know off, just do a quick visual. Haven't found one yet that has a qualified gas engineer to check things.

Funny, we check our gas systems at home annually, but the van that is probably under more stress, is only given a quick appraisal

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had never realised there was any mandatory electrical checks, I have never had that done.

the three year Electrical Inspection and Test interval is not mandatory for private use motorhomes and caravans. ..

however..
if someone was electrocuted and you didn't have an up to date electrical test certificate you may be held culpable

It is mandatory for hire vehicles..

also note, it is NOT part of the annual hab inspection .. unless specified, and will be charged extra..
only a competent electrical person can carry out this work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Many thanks all for your very helpul comments and suggestions. I've booked it into Marquis at Ivybridge for a hab inspection which they assure me will include gas and electrical systmes checks. I will contact them and ask for an inventory of exactly what checks they will carry out and what qualifications the checkers have.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many thanks all for your very helpul comments and suggestions. I've booked it into Marquis at Ivybridge for a hab inspection which they assure me will include gas and electrical systmes checks. I will contact them and ask for an inventory of exactly what checks they will carry out and what qualifications the checkers have.

excellent..

but unless specified, it probably won't include the three year Electrical PIR (periodic inspection report) which is more than is done on the normal annual hab check. They may or may not be qualified to do this.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Nearly all the hab check items are things that would be immediately noticed as the mh was used. The few others can easily be DIY given the checklist. Leak testing the gas is no problem if you have a pressure gauge on the regulator.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Think I would do a check on your proposed service provider they don’t have the best reputation. If you do use them stick something over the door so at least you know they have been in there. Also check that they have GasSafe engineers with the relevant LPG endorsement. You could of course get a local GasSafe engineer to check it for you and then just do the rest of the bits yourself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Ah...OK, will look elsewhere - the only other ones without driving for miles is Martins of Exeter that I know of. Any feedback on them anywhere?

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Martins sell secondhand vans. I don't know if they do routine servicing. I gave you two reputable local companies of which I have had past experience, just not current knowledge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Martins sell secondhand vans. I don't know if they do routine servicing. I gave you two reputable local companies of which I have had past experience, just not current knowledge.

Yes, thank you Abacist - I rang Twelve Oaks but they no longer do servicing. Highbridge is next on my call list.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
They will probably say NCC approved !
Monkeys with no idea probably

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back