Habitation door (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As stated in a previous response from me in this thread, everyone has to take their own security seriously, and if it troubles you to the extent that you lay awake worrying, perhaps motorhoming may not be your thing.

A near neighbour is a locksmith. I locked myself out of my house the other week, he got in as quickly as I ever could with a key. Bricks and mortar don't make our home any more secure than our motorhome, but a good location (which we can at least choose when parking the motorhome for an overnight stop) and visible deterrents do help a great deal.

It's amazing how effective a flashing LED can be to potential bandits, together with judiciously placed stickers. Obviously better if you also leave perimeter alarm on, strap up the doors, make sure you have two stashes to hide money and cards, close accessible windows, and leave a dog bowl outside, etc. But there will always be a risk

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, so choice of location is paramount. Motorway service areas? Not even a consideration

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We had 2 deadlocks professionally fitted to our cab doors so no worries there!

As to the Hab door I fitted an external fiamma lock which is bolted through the door frame and on the inside at night we have fitted a security metal bar to stop door being opened from the outside!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Go for a dog
This week we returned from France
as we drew up at the port entrance in Calais
we were confronted by 3 Armed soldiers carrying side arms and rifles (part of the state of emergency)
They asked to search the van. I opened the hab door and they were confronted by our big daft friendly lab.
Exit 3 soldiers to about 15 feet away.
it took a fair few minutes to convince one of them the dog was lovely.
The soldier was patting him and had a big grin on his face at the end.
Dogs are a great deterant
Ours only barks when anyone knocks on the van or opens the door
So a great deterant
Kev

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Absolutely no point in worrying about the doors until you have fitted steel shutters over all the windows.:D
Those of you running at 3500kg might have a bit of a problem with weight.:)

Deleted User
Hi,
Recently bought the handle that works as a lock over the habitation door. More for the handle than the lock.
However, seems I will need to take the fridge out to gain access for the inside lower fixing bolts.
Any advice on removing the fridge, there isn't any gap or obvious securing fittings.
The MoHo is a 2014 Dethleffs Trend. I will be at the Peterborough show.

Secondary, anyone with tickets for the Jethro Show on Saturday for sale
Ian S Norwich

National Scout Fellowship Security Team

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
To remove your fridge you'll need to remove the outside covers and disconnect the gas.There maybe enough slack in the electrical cables just to move it forward enough to do the job but it is really a two person job anyway. On most fridges when you open the door you will see some covers,if you remove them the screws are there.Make sure you take them right out or they could catch and damage the surround when your taking the fridge out (saw it happen only last Saturday!...luckily not ours)

image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back