Habitation door , manufacturer of MH taking the piss ? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there really are only a couple of door manufacturers, regardless of the name on the side of the van. the problem of distorting or twisting doors is pretty common and I believe caused by the sidewalls of the vans flexing when being driven. some models are worse than others due to door position and strength of walls

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
The sale of goods act precedes the new legislation, under that you have just as much cover for getting a replacement or repair, but not the right to reject a faulty product for refund past a reasonable amount of time.

Rights are slightly different if bought on HP so if this is the case get the HP firm involved.

Problems involving faulty doors caused by twisting bodies should not be ignored and just put down to 'they all do that sir'

Yes bodies will twist but the design of the door should take this into account and should have no bearing on the serviceability of the door, if it does then this is a design fault and they need to be brought to task on it.

When you spend £40k plus on a van you expect the doors to work.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
New Coachman c/van ," This is a new special door sir,you have to pull it in tight with the latch up,then shut the latch " and gave a demonstration. We did not own it a year,in that time i had pulled the "Latch" out of the frame. I think it could have been a Hartel door,but cannot swear to it. As said in other posts,this is a KNOWN problem.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A case brought agin a large electrical retailer by someone whose washing machine failed in 19 months.
The judges ruled that if you pay a lot of money for something it is not unreasonable to expect it to last more than 12 months.
That ruling led to a change in EU laws.
Contrary to what ever you may be told 'white goods' have a two you warranty nowadays ( and yes, I know they will tell you it is only one year and do you want to buy insurance etc etc but ... )

With that ruling in mind I am pretty sure a case could be mounted agin all parties involved ( if a test case has not already been tried .. which in all honesty I fully expect )

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have no advice to offer except if you partly paid with a credit card I think the CC company might be able to bring pressure to bear on your behalf. Also, I feel your pain. My sympathies.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You are correct if it is that old - thought it was relatively new - have they owned the van 30 months or did they buy a 30 month old van? Makes a difference
As I read it , it's done it before and been repaired twice , so surly the new warrenty is from then , not when it was new.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If an item is replaced with a new one, then the replacement carries the same warranty as the first one.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Bottom line of all this is that dealers claim to not be paid enough to cover warranty work, so they are all like that mate is the industry standard response. What we have to do is make it more expensive for them not to fix it!!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bottom line of all this is that dealers claim to not be paid enough to cover warranty work, so they are all like that mate is the industry standard response. What we have to do is make it more expensive for them not to fix it!!!!!
If they are all like that , I would think they all want putting right!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Motorhome habitation door problems seem to crop up frequently....

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I have an appt with my firm of solicitors tomorrow at two ( consumer law expert ) £150 but I'll be claiming that back if I get any bother plus damages for inconvenience etc

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I hope you get some positive advice from your solicitor but at the end of the day they will want paying for as long as the action is on going. I have owned four Auto-trails and two of them were sponges on wheels. I could write a book on my experiences. There has been some well meaning sound advice on here but at the end of the day it's your problem to resolve one way or the other. For what it's worth I would suggest you off load it, cut your losses and move on. Your health and well being is far more important than a dodgy motorhome. My present Auto-Trail is perfect in every way but there again I now know what to look for. Good Luck.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
it is to someone else considering buying one!:censored:
No it's not, plenty of other "you are a twat for buying British/New or any other motorhome which is not the same make as mine" threads going around. The OP is asking for help and he doesn't need anyone trashing his purchasing decision.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I sold the Miller and bought the Autotrail I was told by a good friend who owns a motorhome business ..

So you sold a paddling pool and bought an Olympic sized swimming pool then !!

So far, the van has been brilliant and showing no signs of damp

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I hope you get some positive advice from your solicitor but at the end of the day they will want paying for as long as the action is on going. I have owned four Auto-trails and two of them were sponges on wheels. I could write a book on my experiences. There has been some well meaning sound advice on here but at the end of the day it's your problem to resolve one way or the other. For what it's worth I would suggest you off load it, cut your losses and move on. Your health and well being is far more important than a dodgy motorhome. My present Auto-Trail is perfect in every way but there again I now know what to look for. Good Luck.

We have no intention of getting rid of " Billy " we love our van and just want the door sorting so we can get piece of mind . Nothing more , nothing less . It's just that commercial ventures of all shades have lost the ability just to do the right thing .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
For what it's worth I would suggest you off load it, cut your losses and move on. .

You know that new consumer law thats been quoted in this thread already? I believe that also applies to a sale now between private individuals and any defects known about should be quoted in the ad. Otherwise the buyer has a come back....please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That sounds a bit drastic all for the sake of a door that will probably get put right eventually.

mto

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
a newbie
As others have said your contract is with the dealer who sold you the van, however, we had a problem with the door on our Bailey 745 and when our dealer made a claim they tried to say the the door was only covered for 2 years. A letter direct to Bailey from me pointing out the words stated in their warranty "there is a 3 year comprehensive warranty on all parts and components used in the construction used in the construction of the motorhome chassis and habitation area" with a few listed exceptions such as bulbs batteries etc., resulted in the supply of a new door and frame "as a gesture of goodwill"
Hope you get it sorted.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had a new door frame fitted in January this year in our 2013 Autotrail, Door and Frame made by Dometic, the frame had cracked all round the bottom, working thing is they will have fitted the same frame so it will probably go there again, they do have a history of cracking wrong the centre hinge.

Sadly the door is an awful fit and you can actually see daylight through the top corner, have had it back to the dealers and they can`t make any more adjustments on the door.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Bought new from dealer , appt booked now with them for 12th Nov so their tech guys can have a look .
Thanks for all the advice !
All I want is someone to repair/ replace the door and above all else " do the right thing ! "
You can apparently get the door locking catches as a kit, you dealer should be able to sort this for as ours are for our motorhome.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think Bailey have done the right thing.
Glad its nearly sorted.
Nice MH Bailey

Mel

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Our hab door fell off our Bailey 740 too last week we got it in June '15 all hinges went flying, luckily we were at storage yard which is level and not at home on slopped drive.
Hubby found all hinges and screws so with great difficulty and a few choice words we managed to fix it back on I was surprised though the screws were only 1/4" long did not think that long enough for job though that's all would fit without drilling further which I thought would null and void warranty.
It's our second Bailey we've had problems with hab door but since all else is fine I'm not worried too much.
Hope you get sorted soon and then can get on with enjoying it.

Liz

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know nothing however I'd say your contract is with the dealer who supplied the motorhome. I'd be saying the door isn't fit for purpose and if he didn't sort it I'd issue small claims action against him.

It's up to him to sort it out with manufacturers etc. stop doing there job for them . Hope you get it sorted

Best answer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back