Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
I'm looking for some help Guys.

We have a Carioca 656. The lock on our habitation door is broken.

It is a FAP lock and a piece of plastic has broken off inside, the door cannot be opened from outside and a screwdriver is needed to move the catch over from the inside.

We have enquired about a replacement lock and have been quoted £170 for the internal part, and £239 if we wanted both inside and outside parts.

Anyone know where we can just buy the plastic piece to replace? Or has anyone got a scrap door they'd be prepared to sell?

Having looked at a number of M/H's at Discover today the same lock is fitted to a number of different vans.

Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Could be talking out of the back of my head, but if you take the lock apart you maybe able to superglue a piece of wire on and that should do the trick if its like a Kontiki lock.

Peter

OP
OP
gypsylady

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Peter

Been considering that idea, but we'd like a more permanent repair.

Will let you know how we get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi gypsylady,following on from Rogers offer if you can post a picture of the lock it would help.I have googled pics of your van but they come up with a couple of different pics of the lock on 2 different vans hence different locks.I have a spare inner handle that shows on one pic but is different to the other pic :ROFLMAO: If you re lucky and have the same lock I can give this to you,it is not the cleanest bit but is ok.I gave a complete lock,inner and outer to a member on the dark side who had the same problem as you and me on my old van,hence having spare lock.The inner bit I have is approx 3 ins wide sq tappering to the handel bit about 6 ins long so 9 ins total and if memory serves me right screws on with 4 and 1 at the bottom.Mine broke on the metal bit but I repaired it with epoxy and never needed the spare lock or the spare inner.You are more than welcome to it if it fits:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
gypsylady

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Habitation Lock

Cheers Guys

I knew I could count on help from the funsters.

Hub has been trying to repair the plastic cam using engravers brass.

Once glued in place the brass has been trimmed back to the plastic.

He's been on for a couple of days with the project but the epoxy glue seems to be letting him down, (once the shape has been sorted he has also drilled, screwed and filed off the screw head) My man is no quitter.

I have attached pictures of the rogue part during this process and a pic of the lock insides with the piece in place.

Attachments

• S4300021a.JPG
    S4300021a.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 137
  • S4300023a.JPG
    S4300023a.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 137
  • S4300022a.JPG
    S4300022a.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 129
  • S4300020a.JPG
    S4300020a.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 122

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
O see the problem, hopefully Terry will be able to help, check with him first. If he cannot I am prepared to make one for you I would machine from a solid block of aluminium so it would be much stronger than original. Just a thought for hubby if there is room a sleeve of shim steel inside (with joint opposite the break)before gluing the outside with epoxy and a peice of bent metal to provide strength may just do the trick. Let me know if you want me to make one and I will let you have my address to post bit to.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this is the inner bit I have ---if it is of any use it is yours ---
hopefully terrry :thumb:

Attachments

• P1000851.JPG
    P1000851.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P1000852.JPG
    P1000852.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 84
  • P1000853.JPG
    P1000853.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 69

william peat

Free Member
Nov 11, 2009
Funster No
carioca 656

Hi folks

i am on my second lock for my carioca 656. this part inside breaks far to often and should be made better by ci. i have now sent my lock back to danum leisure who have retuned it to italy so should be around six months before i get my lock back. i will never buy a ci motorhome it's been non stop trouble.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi folks

i am on my second lock for my carioca 656. this part inside breaks far to often and should be made better by ci. i have now sent my lock back to danum leisure who have retuned it to italy so should be around six months before i get my lock back. i will never buy a ci motorhome it's been non stop trouble.

Thats interesting for a first post William.

We had a CI 5 which is the same as the 656 and had nearly 4 years of non stop enjoyment out of it with nothing more than a very minor damp repair carried out by myself due to a badly fitting garage door. We have young children and younger at the time they used it as a place to jump smash and bang every single door in the van. Lasted us so well and I was genuinely sad when we changed it for our Adria that we now have.

I think the CI is a genuine entry level van that many love and in our case got us in to motorhoming in a big way.

Back to the thread...
Have you tried olearys? they are normally keen on replacement parts or from memory there is nothing special about the locks and i would of thought a caravan breakers may be able to help.
apart from that its great to see other funsters like Terry and Roger offering over and above the call of duty, well done guys:thumb:

Eva76

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Yorks. Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new to it all!
Just reviving this thread as the lock on our 656 has done the same thing :cry: WHY do they make that part out of flimsy plastic??!!

My husband has repaired it with araldite and a screw, but it's not a fully functional repair. I've emailed a picture of the lock to Brownhills and am waiting for them to get back to us with a price, was a bit shocked to read how much you have been quoted, gypsylady!:Eeek: What did you end up doing with it?

We do love our 656, we've had it for just over a year now and haven't had any other problems with it.

OP
OP
gypsylady

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry,

Was persuaded to add a comment on this thread by a non-computer literate OH.

Obviously the thread is now old so should be allowed to go quietly.

June

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Don't worry June any reply helps someone out somewhere irrespective of the age of the original post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back