Habitation door lock broken ... argh! (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
We had a similar sort of mishap not too long ago on an AutoSleeper Nuevo - but I think most use a similar system.
My wife slam locked the habitation door with both sets of keys inside. I borrowed a drill and drilled the lock (disappointingly easy) until the barrel literally fell out. A screwdriver sized slot was clear to be seen and a turn with one unlocked / locked the door.
We were able to continue with a plug of BlueTac keeping moisture out and Milenco sold us a replacement lock barrel with 2 keys for about a tenner when we got home. It simply presses in and latches securely in about 10 seconds!
Hope this helps and someone near you has a drill....
Norrie

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
From the pictures, you have a Zadi lock system. The Key slot on the outside in not in the right position, it should be horizontal or vertical.
I would suggest you need to remove the internal cover on the door to expose the mechanism. It may well be that one of the latch operating bars has sprung loose causing the lock to jam. It is not that difficult to remove the cover. Put up a photo of the internal door with the cover and we might be able to help further.
Cheers
Ed

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Might have no option. We're a bit perplexed now as to what to do anyway, due to the lockdown. Reality is, we've been pretty much self isolating whilst traveling. Don't know if locking down in a motorhome is allowed.
Only if itā€™s your primary residence? Like the FLT šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
If not then you need to get back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the mechanism is metal parts with springs, but let down because the operating rods clip on/off with plastic retainers. All too easy for a rod to come unclipped causing this situation. But relatively simple to fix

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
YORKIEMAN G-RMPS.

We had a small spring break in side our Hymer. Get some one to take the cover off and have a look in side . The spring is about 1ā€ long and twisted on each end. We got a spare spring from Travelworld for Ā£1.98 YES Ā£1.98 .

even if you canā€™t take it off get some else to take it off and look and see if it is the spring , easy to fit. I have a photo of the spring some where if you want see it let me know.

Colyboy

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, but I've been inside the lock. The latch has sheared off, the spring is fine. The latch is currently engaged in the door frame so the door is locked, but cannot be opened from outside because pulling the handle does nothing. If I could get a replacement latch it would be an easy fix. Fortunately it broke just as we returned home from 7 weeks away. We can afford to wait for a replacement unit. It's just irritating having to pay Ā£150 for a complete unit, 95 percent of which is redundant. I had thought of trying to get the broken bits welded together, but the van would remain unlocked while the part was being attended to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
From the pictures, you have a Zadi lock system. The Key slot on the outside in not in the right position, it should be horizontal or vertical.
I would suggest you need to remove the internal cover on the door to expose the mechanism. It may well be that one of the latch operating bars has sprung loose causing the lock to jam. It is not that difficult to remove the cover. Put up a photo of the internal door with the cover and we might be able to help further.
Cheers
Ed

Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back with the photos. I've been on electricity rations as the batteries ran really low. We got a good drive in yesterday so I am back with laptop privileges.

Here's the photos Ed. Any guidence would be awesome as at the moment we are having to shuffle out of the driver or passenger door, which isn't too elegant.

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_213218_1-squashed.jpg
    IMG_20201109_213218_1-squashed.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20201109_213209_3-squashed.jpg
    IMG_20201109_213209_3-squashed.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.