Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Some great ideas here. They got me thinking about two things:
  1. We don't have a flyscreen for the door (it's a 22 year old MH)
  2. It would be good to have a non-see-through stable door for hot weather
Roxie is generally as happy as can be curled up somewhere comfortable, but she's a sighthound, and if she saw something run past the door, she may well decide to give chase. She's also a worrier, and not good with other dogs, so preventing her from seeing them (and them from seeing her) is a must for us to keep her calm and preserve our sanity.

The mention of hanging a towel over a slatted gate got me thinking. We have already fitted a removable hanging rail in the washroom for wet coats, etc., and I could use the same concept to create my "stable door". (The washroom rail needs to be removable, as it gets in the way of accessing the skylight, but if we'd mounted it anywhere else, there wouldn't be enough width for a coat hanger.)

Colorail (available from B&Q, and probably other hardware stores) do a very sturdy oval shaped rail which slots into (and lift out of) U-shaped brackets, which is the one we've used in the washroom. It's a snug fit and doesn't rattle (we leave it up permanently, and only remove it temporarily if we need to drop down the flyscreen on the skylight to open/close it).

Here are some options:
The rail (chrome finish; also available in white, and in a couple of different lengths)

The brackets we've used in the washroom:

... and a couple of other alternatives:
Under worktop:
Centre:

So it occurred to me that I could fit a couple of those lift-out brackets to the cabinets just inside the habitation door, and sew a "curtain" with vertical slat pockets to hang on it. I've sketched the concept.

Habitation half door.jpg

Basically, it's a "curtain", to be made out of some easy care fabric (pick something moderately heavyweight, washable, and non-crease) with a number of vertical slots / pockets into which you can slide slats of your choice (old bed slats, if you have them, or in our case, probably slats removed when shortening wooden IKEA venetian blinds - those things come in useful for all sorts of things!), and a horizontal pocket at the top to slide onto the hanging rail.

Embellishments would be cutaways at the bottom corners to allow it to hang down into the footwell, flaps at the sides to take poppers / eyelets / velcro / magnets, or other fixing option of your choice. This could either act as a sort of soft hinge on one side, or be something that you choose to do up / undo each time you go through it, depending on how much you need to be able to fix it firmly. The weight of the slats should probably be enough in most cases.

To store it, simply slide out the top rail, and fold it up with the slats inside.
To wash it, slip the slats out too.

And I'm also inspired to make a simple hanging flyscreen (a hanging rail over the door, with a plain weighted (dark) net curtain - again possibly with some form of side fixings to stop it flapping about. I don't know why I never thought of it before.

Now all I need is some spare time to make and fit them :whistle:!

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Similar 'problem' with our PVC which I haven't tried to solve yet, because it's far too cold at present to consider having the side door open for more than a millisecond!

However, we used to have a Lindam babygate which we used at home. Worked brilliantly and was very robust (made for children so has to live up to all sorts of safety standards). Although the picture on the Amazon page doesn't show it, the top and bottom rails are not one-piece so it can be expanded or collapsed to suit door width. Maybe too big for coachbuilts - cannot remember how small it would go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I'm sure there are a lot of commercial baby gates that would do the job, if that's what works for people. If so, that's great.

However, this is something we'd only use very occasionally, so I wouldn't want the inconvenience of a "fixed" or even semi-fixed gate most of the time. Also, a "proper" gate wouldn't work terribly well with the layout of what's just inside the door in our MH. And tension rod types are a bit fiddly.

Those are the reasons why I thought of using the hanging rail idea. The brackets are very unobtrusive when not in use, and it only takes a few seconds to fit or remove the "rail gate". But, as all the ideas here show, horses for courses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back