Habitation door and mot (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
The hartal habitation door on my motorhome has developed a fault which makes it very difficult to open and close which is I believe is due to a broken spring in the door, as the van is due an mot would this be a mot failure? as unless you know just how to close it closing the door is not possible.
Don

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
I don't think the ministry is interested in the hab module. They might be a bit sniffy if the cab doors were not openable!!

As far as I understand, they are only interested in the base vehicle, and whether the hab module is safely attached to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
When we had our last MH up for MOT apart from opening the cab drivers door, to check brakes, lights etc the mechanic never went inside the hab at all. It seemed exactly the same as a car MOT from what I could see. He never even checked the rear passenger seat belts, which did surprise me but then again I didnt tell him they were fitted..:whistle:

Ian

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My initial thoughts were that the habitation side would not be covered by the MOT, but after having a quick look online at the MOT Testing Manual, I think @tonyidle may be correct, the habitation door is checked and if it doesn't close securely, or can be opened from outside, it can result in a test fail.

The cab driver's and passenger doors are covered in Section 6.2 along with the following statement.... "ANY OTHER PASSENGER DOOR CAN BE OPENED FROM OUTSIDE OF THE VEHICLE".

There is a also a further reference in Section 6.2, stating that loading doors etc are covered in Section 6.4 and which may cover our external locker and garage doors etc.

It states in 'Reasons For Rejection'.... "A BOOT LID, TAILGATE, LOADING DOOR, ACCESS PANEL, HINGED TAILBOARD OR DROPSIDE CANNOT BE SECURED IN THE CLOSED POSITION".

NB. I am not an MOT tester, these are just my interpretation of what I read....

image.png

image.png

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Don't worry about the habitation door it's not part of the mot. In the past 10 years and 3 motorhomes we've had 7 Hartal doors replaced. I'm sure we are not alone as a local dealer said they replace dozens and are total junk either dropping to pieces or rotting after only a few months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back