Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
A well engineered license to print money. Can't wait 'till mine is out of warranty. I can only imagine in my line of work telling a customer "oh by the way the five year warranty I have just given you requires you to call me back every year to inspect the product and yes I will require a large wad of cash thank you very much"
Suspect the words on and bike might be the reply.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Just had my bailey done to keep the warranty and they do NOT carry out a damp check because of the construction had a look of the sheet you get and apart from the gas check I could do it all myself within 2 hours Max and they charged £204
Van was dropped off at 8.30 and I was phoned at 11.15 ready for collection

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
for me the gas check must be the most important part of this service, warranty or not

do you that don't rate the habitation service not service your home boiler either?

whether the service agent does a thorough job is more scary

I hope you have healthy CO monitors in home and MH if you don't have servicing done or DIY

the DIY reference presumes you are not trained to current standards

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I've a mate whose a gas tech

He hoovers my boiler and shines a torch on it once a year ......

Costs me a pint :)

Charges his customers £60 for the same job confesses himself that boiler servicing is the easiest money ever made.

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I've a mate whose a gas tech

He hoovers my boiler and shines a torch on it once a year ......

Costs me a pint :)

Charges his customers £60 for the same job confesses himself that boiler servicing is the easiest money ever made.

+1 on this, I have a mate who is a gas fitter and he says exactly the same.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We just hab service done to keep the warranty. He was in the van for3 hours very thorough. And he said your fridge doesn't need servicing. He could have made another £150 as I didn't know if it did or not. Cost of hab service £110. Rob comes highly recommended in the worcester area. A mobile one don't know if can say his company on here.
I prefer to know all my appliances are safe anyway.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think the thing about gas testing on a motorhome is that the vehicle is subject to a huge amount of vibration, during its travels - well ours is, anyway. In my view, this differentiates the set-up from that in a domestic environment. And there have been a couple of 'gas issues' that have arisen during the 3 annual habitation services we've had on the van so far.

Mike

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think any competent DIY person can do their own jab test. A reasonable damp meter does not cost that much and a can of gas leak test spray doesn't either. Using the widely available check sheet from the caravan council its easy to do things one at a time and it's not difficult. The benefit is you know it been done. I started doing my own after a well know Motorhome dealer where they pride themselves in customer service/satisfaction noted on the test sheet that no MCB's were fitted to my motorhome (There are in fact twin MCB's fitted next to the main electrical distribution box) they also could not find the the two 110 hab batteries which are in the wardrobe under very evident hatch. They assured me they had checked the water filter (There isn't one fitted) They only charged only £150. for this "service"

I would say though that if you have any doubts about your own competence get a professional to do the gas and electricity tests.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't take any risks with the gas side of things, but I'm pretty convinced in my own mind that the rest of it is money for old rope.
Just my opinion , nothing against people earning an honest living from it.
After all, some people aren't particularly "hands on" and would rather pay for peace of mind.
This of course is providing that the pro has made a thorough investigation and not just ticked the box's on the hab form(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think it's probably already been mentioned, that most / all manufacturers require an annual habitation check by an authorised dealer as part of the damp / water ingress warranty - in our case the guarantee is for 5 years.

Whilst it would obviously be possible to have the checks made by a competent independent engineer, I'm not sure how enthusiastic the manufacturer would be to honour any claim for damp in such circumstances? And given the manufacturer would want the rectification undertaken by one of its 'qualified' dealers - how willing would the dealer be to play ball with a warranty claim, when they'd effectively been side-stepped for servicing?

Mike

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
We are just due our first hab check in October. Does it have to be done by the supplying dealer or a main dealer for the make, or can it be done by an "approved tester" in order to keep the warranty. I have a couple close to me and for reasons that are too long to go into would rather not use the dealer I bought the van from. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Over the years I have had a new Autosleeper and a new Burstner motorhome. I discovered by talking to the dealers that not having a habitation check does not and cannot invalidate the warranty. I used to just have the van tested for damp.
As far as I am aware there are no maintenance items on your van appliances, no filters to change, nothing.

Mike

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My current van is out of warranty but I still take it back for the Hab Service. The only reason I do this is that having read the very small print on my insurance document failure to do so annually is a reason to invalidate it. Cue loss adjusters smile, me having just had a van fire...'and the paperwork for your Hab Check is where sir' Ho Ho there isn't any. Rubs hands walks off and thinks deeply about what he's going to buy with his bonus. Insurers. don't you just love em.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
My current van is out of warranty but I still take it back for the Hab Service. The only reason I do this is that having read the very small print on my insurance document failure to do so annually is a reason to invalidate it. Cue loss adjusters smile, me having just had a van fire...'and the paperwork for your Hab Check is where sir' Ho Ho there isn't any. Rubs hands walks off and thinks deeply about what he's going to buy with his bonus. Insurers. don't you just love em.

Change your insurance company (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You tell me one that hasn't got a catch all in the small print and I'll change to it, and tonight!

I expressly enquired whether Saga require an annual habitation check, they don't. Neither do they require an annual vehicle service as long as its got a current MOT.

Don't take my word for it, give them ring

Reactions: JJ

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I expressly enquired whether Saga require an annual habitation check, they don't. Neither do they require an annual vehicle service as long as its got a current MOT.

Don't take my word for it, give them ring

I'll take your word for it and I will give them a ring! And many thanks.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had a hab service last November ready for our trip to Spain in December on our trip we smelt gas; we had a leak from one of the Gaslow bottles so we had to isolate it. It could have happened after the service I suppose but I have lost faith in our dealer so I won't be having one this year or I might use a guy locally who does it a lot cheaper and spends hours checking everything.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I'll take your word for it and I will give them a ring! And many thanks.

Just looked at my policy booklet,

"a. Taking care of your vehicle

You must do all you can to protect your vehicle and its contents from loss
or damage and keep and maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If we ask, you must let us examine your vehicle at a mutually convenient time. Your vehicle must have a current MOT certificate if applicable."

and I remembered that this little paragraph is what prompted me to phone them and ask about habitation service. As I now do my own hab service I could not provide proof it had been done in the event of a claim, thats when I was told that as long as I keep the motorhome roadworthy and have a current MOT thats all that is required. I specifically asked about habitation service and the answer was the same. Hope this helps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our insurance requires us to have the gas side checked (and serviced if necessary) annually. Quite apart from that, I know less than nowt about gas so the job we get done each year is worth it for that alone.

In addition, as with many jobs, it isn't the doing of it but how it is done, the tools/equipment and the knowledge of the person doing it. Much easier and quicker for me to pay somebody competent than faff around for much longer doing it myself.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Although many prefer to do their own Hab check, and I am confident I can do mine myself to as good a standard as some dealers and better others. I would never encourage someone to do it themselves if they did not have the knowledge/ability to do it. Sometimes paying someone else to do a job is the obvious and only thing to do. I just had some quite complicated work done on my Merc engine which I certainly wouldn't attempt, but I am happy to do things within my own competence.

Just a matter of choice, there is no right or wrong, but if one's insurance requires the gas check it doesn't seem sensible to do the rest yourself.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Many thanks for the detailed response iandsm, I did ring SAGA this morning as my policy renewal is for 01 September. A very helpful individual took me through all the bits and pieces. When I asked about hab checks etc my attention was drawn to Part 2 of Page 36 of the policy document which has been in place since June 1 this year but has the date of March 2014 on the PDF. It says exactly what you posted in #25. I've decided to stay with Safeguard and Allianz partly because of the UK and Europe AA assistance which comes within the policy. During my research though I found that SAGAs parent and underwriter is ACROMAS which is regulated by the Gibraltar financial authorities. I don't know if the Gibraltar FSCS is the same as that afforded here by the UK authorities it possibly is but it was another factor in my decision to stay with Safeguard.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A gas leak test is a very easy DiY proposition if you have a BBQ point. Connect a loop of clear plastic tube filled to 50% with water (say a metre of tube folded in two & taped to hold its shape) to your BBQ point. Turn on the BBQ point & mark where the water level is on each leg of the tube. Turn off the gas at the bottle/regulator/tank outlet. If the water levels are still different after 15 minutes you don't have a leak. If they equalise quickly you can isolate each circuit in turn using the appliance isolator taps one-by-one to find the leaky circuit. Or to prove that it's between the supply device & the isolator taps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back