Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Seeking advice on whether a habitation check is necessary each year. Our motorhome is kept for 9 months at inside storage in Somerset, and then we come over from Australia and use it for 3 months each year. It is a 2007 Peugeot Boxer. So far we have had it checked each year (4) , with no issues. Wondering if every 2nd year would be sufficient?

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I would think that if you did have issues and had to claim on insurance you might find that they caused you problems if you didn't have a current Hab check...

Also it's a good idea to have your gas system checked annually...:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've had my motorhome from new and had a annual Habitation service every year as this is a warranty requirement.
This year I will not have a habitation service as I believe £200. is a bit of a rip off. I have purchased a damp meter and do damp checks myself. All my seals are sound and this would be my main reason to have a Hab. service.
If I sell the motorhome I will get another one done before putting up for sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our mobile hab check man is coming on Monday...

£129 + travelling costs...

and he'll be here for several hours...:thumb:

See post about gas filler fire in Manchester, a hab check should pick up on any problems around the gas system...

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Damp is unlikely to be an issue if it's stored inside..

however, appliances should be checked annually, used or not, and especially when left standing for long periods of time.. you may also get rodent infestation which may have eating cables ..

my advice would be to have at least the gas system and appliances checked and serviced prior to using each year.. and at the same time, don't forget the engine also needs an annual oil change irrespective of millage..

I would also suggest that the wheels are removed and stored in a dry dark place.. off the ground on a pallet and covered with sacks.. this will prevent flat spots and uv damage.. may not be possible.. but worth considering.,.

other points to consider doing .. you may well already do this..

* disconnect both hab and engine batteries by removing the negative leads.
* leave cupboard doors open
* leave at least one roof vent open
* drain and clean both fresh and waste tanks.
* sanitize fridge and leave door open
* stand cushions on ends
* don't close blinds.. that will weaken the return springs.
* sanitize all food cupboards.
* leave handbrake Off

Last edited:

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Had mine done Thursday mobile £120 inc vat second year running mobile much more convenient.

OP
OP
Mathilde

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Damp is unlikely to be an issue if it's stored inside..

however, appliances should be checked annually, used or not, and especially when left standing for long periods of time.. you may also get rodent infestation which may have eating cables ..

my advice would be to have at least the gas system and appliances checked and serviced prior to using each year.. and at the same time, don't forget the engine also needs an annual oil change irrespective of millage..

I would also suggest that the wheels are removed and stored in a dry dark place.. off the ground on a pallet and covered with sacks.. this will prevent flat spots and uv damage.. may not be possible.. but worth considering.,.

other points to consider doing .. you may well already do this..

* disconnect both hab and engine batteries by removing the negative leads.
* leave cupboard doors open
* leave at least one roof vent open
* drain and clean both fresh and waste tanks.
* sanitize fridge and leave door open
* stand cushions on ends
* don't close blinds.. that will weaken the return springs.
* sanitize all food cupboards.
* leave handbrake Off

Thank you for the excellent advice. We have all these things covered. The batteries have held up well, and she starts (so far) first turn of the key each year.

Any recommendations for a habitation check around Taunton Somerset? Also, is it a set price for MOT. I have been quoted 54.85 pounds.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Thank you for the excellent advice. We have all these things covered. The batteries have held up well, and she starts (so far) first turn of the key each year.

Any recommendations for a habitation check around Taunton Somerset? Also, is it a set price for MOT. [HI]I have been quoted 54.85 pounds.[/HI]

Standard fee methinks...

That's what I paid for my +3.5 tonne tag axle...

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I've had my motorhome from new and had a annual Habitation service every year as this is a warranty requirement.
This year I will not have a habitation service as I believe £200. is a bit of a rip off. I have purchased a damp meter and do damp checks myself. All my seals are sound and this would be my main reason to have a Hab. service.
If I sell the motorhome I will get another one done before putting up for sale.

do you get a tick box check list after the Hab check ? if you do have you noticed that the majority of the check is something you do every day during the use of your van ie : interior lighting & equipment- check operation...Source... Caravan club - Approved Workshop Habitation Service Checksheet:Smile:
well, wouldn't you not know if a light is not working whilst your using your MH??? the Hab check is just another excuse for someone to take your money:Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well personally, we haven't the equipment to do the gas pressure test, we don't have a damp meter either but I know they aren't too dear.

God knows what else Mark (CLS) and his Sorcerer's Apprentice do when they are here doing ours but all I can say is, they certainly earn the money, the length of time it takes.

I know some jobs you can and do, yourself (eg checking tyre pressures) as well - but really for what it costs, £100 or so - in comparison to the price of the thing in the first place and the amount of time you spend in it, so its value to you to be RIGHT - it's cheap.

We're having the roof on the whole house done soon, including demolishing a chimney. Pete is capable - but it's a bloody big job for an amateur on his own and he'd certainly never get it done in a week. So it's really good value to get the professionals in.

And I don't expect anybody to work for next to nothing.

I most certainly would not !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just had ours done at F&M Caravans in Hull, normal price I think is £125 but as ours is a PVC he always gives us a discount so it only cost us £100. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most items are things you can, and do regularly check yourself.
If you need any special tools they are not expensive; gas leak manometer and damp meter can be obtained for around £15 each.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you have a coachbuilt and get damp you got big bucks to cure it, coachbuilts can flex, PVC's (Panel vans are all metal) don't

Your choice

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back