Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I spoke with an interesting man this week - he is a self employed classic caravan restorer and does bodywork repairs to caravans and motorhomes as well. He was on a site with one of his classics - beautiful restoration. During the chat he expressed frustration with the amount of damp he finds in modern caravans, with some dealers, so he said, being unwilling to fully advise their customers about the extent of problems because of cost and reputation implications. His advice was to get habitation checks performed by independent companies. He wouldn't be drawn about which dealers were a bit suspect. Neither would he say which caravans were the worst for damp, though a bit later on he did say he does a lot of work on Swift caravans. So I don't know if this is genuine advice or not, but I thought it might be worth throwing into the mix to see what members think :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My opinion if you bought it new from a dealer then use them for the habitation checks because if you have warranty issues it's better to have a good relationship with them.

Once out of warranty use an independent.

If I bought it 2nd hand I would use an independent. (y)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. Im on the side of the independent companies. We had ours done and zero damp found. (Check out earlier thread "Damp"). Had a habitation service carried out and damp found where originally ...none was there?
I would have a service done by a reputable independent company who has nothing to hide and carries the necessary qualifications for your supplier to accept as creditable for warranty situations should they arise.
Habcheck would be our recommendation..Excellent stuff!

Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our experience at Lowdhams was that they were desperate to find something wrong whilst it was in warranty, because they get the work and get paid by Hymer. We use an independent NCC AWS in Hull (FM Caravans) and he is kept busy rectifying the construction of Eldis caravans, removing the whole rear end replacing the panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back