Habitation Aircon - Quietest Unit - Truma vs Dometic (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, We’re looking to have a habitation aircon unit fitted to our Motorhome (Hymer MLT570) which is 6.75m with twin single beds raised up above the garage. The aircon unit will be fitted into the skylight (400x400mm) above the beds.

The workshop has suggested the following units which they recommend:
  • Truma Aventa Compact Plus
  • Dometic Freshjet 2200 or the 3000

As the aircon unit is going to be fairly close to the beds, we’ve been trying to find out which unit is the quietest when in use, but we can’t find any decibel details. Also, we’re concerned about disturbing fellow campers - are these units too noisy to use at night?

Any info / suggestions / recommendations for other makes/models gratefully received! 😀

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I've got the Truma Aventa Compact fitted to my Chausson 530. It's fairly quiet in normal mode and if you put in in 'night mode' it reduces the fan and compressor noise further, but importantly still provides a good level of cooling. Had no complaints, so far, from adjacent campers.

Big benefit is it can be used on European campsites with low amperage supply, without tripping the supply bollard breaker.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I've got the Truma Aventa Compact fitted to my Chausson 530. It's fairly quiet in normal mode and if you put in in 'night mode' it reduces the fan and compressor noise further, but importantly still provides a good level of cooling. Had no complaints, so far, from adjacent campers.

Big benefit is it can be used on European campsites with low amperage supply, without tripping the supply bollard breaker.
Another vote for Truma aventa compact , I had same fitted to my previous 6.5 metre Pilote and was very pleased with the performance .
I'm having the slightly more powerful compact + fitted to my A-class which still only needs 4.4 amps to power it so should be fine on a 6 amp ehu

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Me too, Truma Aventa (dont know if it is compact version?). Is noisy at night on normal mode and when rapidly cooling down, but in quiet mode it is ok to use on a site at night. Dito, it has never blown a fuse on low amp sites abroad. Needs to be on ehu to work though.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have a Dometic unit mounted inside our garage under the bed that is virtually silent

do you have to have a roof mounted unit?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Another vote for the Truma. Draws about 4.2 Amps cooling. Also heats as long as the initial temperature is above a certain level. Not at all noisy outside.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have the Dometic freshjet 2200 mounted above the rear bed in out 7.5 mtr Burstner A class. We had it mounted there so as to cool the bedroom down at night prior to going to bed, but point the Louvres forward to help cool the van during the day. Runs fine from a 6 amp hook up it even worked on one site in Portugal where for some reason the mcb,s were 4 amps but I had to turn the battery charger and mains fridge supplies off. Although good at cooling the van when outside temp was 34 c I found it too noisy to sleep with it on at night (there is no night setting and a noticeable thud when the compressor kicks in. But very quiet from outside and during a six week tour in France last summer with using nearly everyday both on sites and aires had no complaint just some envious comments. Also glad mounted at the rear as I think if it was mounted over the front lounge it would be noisy and intrusive. But that’s just me. take into account where you are planning to travel and the availability of mains supply. Whilst most areas in France we travelled the cost was fair given the amount of electric used a couple of aires it was 2 Euros an hour. Against Montignac 9 Euros per 24 hours including hookup, and at 23 kilos consider payload.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome

Hi Sasbo, thanks very much for your reply and info ref the Truma Aventa Compact Aircon unit, it's really good to hear of your experiences, rather than just take what's written in the brochures. It's also good to hear that the unit can be used on low amperage european sites - fingers crossed we'll be able to travel further afield soon. Thanks again! :giggle:

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Another vote for Truma aventa compact , I had same fitted to my previous 6.5 metre Pilote and was very pleased with the performance .
I'm having the slightly more powerful compact + fitted to my A-class which still only needs 4.4 amps to power it so should be fine on a 6 amp ehu

Hi NeilS! Thanks for your reply - and vote for the Truma Aventa aircon! Our motorhome is 6.75m and I spoke to another motorhome workshop yesterday (where we get the hab checks done) and they suggested the Aventa Compact Plus or the Aventa Comfort, so I'll do some more reading on the comparisons. Is your A-class longer than your 6.5m Pilote? Thanks again! :giggle:

Ps. just spotted the photo on your avatar and your lovely A-class motorhome does look a lot longer than 6.5m!! :giggle:

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Me too, Truma Aventa (dont know if it is compact version?). Is noisy at night on normal mode and when rapidly cooling down, but in quiet mode it is ok to use on a site at night. Dito, it has never blown a fuse on low amp sites abroad. Needs to be on ehu to work though.

Hi Chazzer! Thanks for your reply ref the Truma Aventa aircon! That's good to hear that in quiet mode that it's ok to use overnight - that was one of our concerns. Also that you've not blown a fuse on one of the low amp sites - we'd definitely want to avoid that as it doesn't go down well at all!! Thanks again! :giggle:

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Truma Aventa on our last camper no prob cooling this
knaus.jpg

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Have you considered moving it to the middle of the Motorhome and cutting a new hole?

Evens up the axle weights and cooling, then you also get to keep your skylight and will be even quieter when in bed.
Hi John,

Thanks very much for your reply! We have looked at siting the aircon unit between the rear roof light and the main roof light above the kitchen, but as you say that would involve an extra hole being cut, and the motorhome garage we were at earlier this week said that we'd be fairly tight for space.
We've uprated our MH payload (to just over 4t) so we've got sufficient payload and rear axle loading to locate it at the rear of the motorhome, but thanks again for your suggestion. :giggle:

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We have a Dometic unit mounted inside our garage under the bed that is virtually silent

do you have to have a roof mounted unit?

Hi DavidG! Thanks for your reply! We had a look at a vented under bench aircon unit - the one we looked at was the Truma Sapphir - I see that your unit is a Dometic version? Was your aircon unit factory fitted please? The engineer said that adding the ducting can be troublesome. Thanks again! :giggle:

Another vote for the Truma. Draws about 4.2 Amps cooling. Also heats as long as the initial temperature is above a certain level. Not at all noisy outside.

THanks Ninjabob for your reply!! That's great news that the Truma aircon unit is not too noisy from outside. We were on a site recently, and albeit it was a very old and large RV next door to us, their aircon was really quite noisy so we were keen to avoid annoying fellow campers, so that's good to hear. Thanks again! :giggle:

We have the Dometic freshjet 2200 mounted above the rear bed in out 7.5 mtr Burstner A class. We had it mounted there so as to cool the bedroom down at night prior to going to bed, but point the Louvres forward to help cool the van during the day. Runs fine from a 6 amp hook up it even worked on one site in Portugal where for some reason the mcb,s were 4 amps but I had to turn the battery charger and mains fridge supplies off. Although good at cooling the van when outside temp was 34 c I found it too noisy to sleep with it on at night (there is no night setting and a noticeable thud when the compressor kicks in. But very quiet from outside and during a six week tour in France last summer with using nearly everyday both on sites and aires had no complaint just some envious comments. Also glad mounted at the rear as I think if it was mounted over the front lounge it would be noisy and intrusive. But that’s just me. take into account where you are planning to travel and the availability of mains supply. Whilst most areas in France we travelled the cost was fair given the amount of electric used a couple of aires it was 2 Euros an hour. Against Montignac 9 Euros per 24 hours including hookup, and at 23 kilos consider payload.

Hi Bessy765! Thanks very much for your reply and details about your Dometic Freshjet aircon unit - this was one of the units on our list, so it's good to read your review. Ref night / quiet mode, I had been looking online to see if the Freshjet had this function, so it sounds as though it's not included. Thanks again for your reply - it was really useful to read your review! :giggle:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi DavidG! Thanks for your reply! We had a look at a vented under bench aircon unit - the one we looked at was the Truma Sapphir - I see that your unit is a Dometic version?

sorry, misquote by me, we have the Truma sapphir system 👍

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys..

We have the Dometic Freshjet 2200 that we have just had fitted. Honestly its a seriously compact unit and an easy fit too. The cold air from it is absolutely wonderful and the heated side of things is good. Noise wise its comparable to the maxxair fan we have just removed and although its a bit of a cost ....its well worth it.

Regards Carolyn and Kev. ;) (y)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi DavidG! Thanks for your reply! We had a look at a vented under bench aircon unit - the one we looked at was the Truma Sapphir - I see that your unit is a Dometic version? Was your aircon unit factory fitted please? The engineer said that adding the ducting can be troublesome. Thanks again! :giggle:

THanks Ninjabob for your reply!! That's great news that the Truma aircon unit is not too noisy from outside. We were on a site recently, and albeit it was a very old and large RV next door to us, their aircon was really quite noisy so we were keen to avoid annoying fellow campers, so that's good to hear. Thanks again! :giggle:

Hi Bessy765! Thanks very much for your reply and details about your Dometic Freshjet aircon unit - this was one of the units on our list, so it's good to read your review. Ref night / quiet mode, I had been looking online to see if the Freshjet had this function, so it sounds as though it's not included. Thanks again for your reply - it was really useful to read your review! :giggle:
You are most welcome, its too late after you have fitted one if it doesn’t suit. Although it was very hot when we were aware it was just too noisy to sleep with it on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back