Habitaion service (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I've been quoted £235 for my first habitation service , from the dealer who I bought it. Does this sound reasonable?. If not, I'd appreciate advice from owners in East Anglia. No rush, it's not
due until next year. Thanks in advance.

Mickey.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I usually paid around £150 plus vat for out Autotrail.

We had a cheaper one this year from a local company at £132 and it has caused a problem or three.

IH quoted us around £270 if i remember correctly but i suspect would have left me with no issues

We had them carried out for warranty reasons and if that is the case with you i would stick with the dealer you bought it off.

If you have warranty issues it helps to have them on your side

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/

A lot may depend on the make of your van and what the warranty rules are.
Autotrail (mine) state must be NCC approved as in above link.. We use a mobile engineer, comes to the house.. £100.
In the past some issues have been found and each time the reports have been accepted by Autotrail and warranty work approved and carried out.

@MikeD I seem to have had the opposite. Not had an issue with Autotrail. Had a small leak on a window this year it's 5th hab check, hab check accepted and repair authorised (y).. Was yours NCC approved ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Warranty is out in July this year, I have bought a damp tester but do you really need a hab check if the warranty had expired anyway?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not in your area but for example . . hab' service at our Moho dealer £156 - 3 hours labour, hab' service at our local NCC approved £140

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Warranty is out in July this year, I have bought a damp tester but do you really need a hab check if the warranty had expired anyway?

Maybe wise to have it done, say 2-3 weeks prior to the warranty finishing. then if there are issues you have time to contact them and make a claim... My AT is still covered by a 10 year Ingress warranty, good job really :whistle:

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Had my first hab service done by the dealer on Monday £150 + vat

Cheers

Trevor

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/

A lot may depend on the make of your van and what the warranty rules are.
Autotrail (mine) state must be NCC approved as in above link.. We use a mobile engineer, comes to the house.. £100.
In the past some issues have been found and each time the reports have been accepted by Autotrail and warranty work approved and carried out.

@MikeD I seem to have had the opposite. Not had an issue with Autotrail. Had a small leak on a window this year it's 5th hab check, hab check accepted and repair authorised (y).. Was yours NCC approved ??

Yes - For the Autotrail we used the dealer we bought it off and never had any issues getting warranty work done. We had leaks at year three and four.

We changed it to a IH because we wanted to down size and I was getting fed up fixing the Autotrail all the time. IH is too expensive and too far away for us to use them for Hab checks.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As said it may depend on the van but we paid £162.50 for our hab check on a Bailey at Becks last summer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does your van actually need one, most continental vans don't need one for warranty, only a damp check.
I've never had a hab check on a van I'm more than capable of doing the checks they charge silly money for.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I usually paid around £150 plus vat for out Autotrail.

We had a cheaper one this year from a local company at £132 and it has caused a problem or three.

IH quoted us around £270 if i remember correctly but i suspect would have left me with no issues

We had them carried out for warranty reasons and if that is the case with you i would stick with the dealer you bought it off.

If you have warranty issues it helps to have them on your side
I thought IH charges not reasonable but felt it necessary for the warranty. I had a number of minor issues to sort so worth the journey and expense. Not sure what to do this November when due again.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I thought IH charges not reasonable but felt it necessary for the warranty. I had a number of minor issues to sort so worth the journey and expense. Not sure what to do this November when due again.

I would have used Dave Newell this year but health issues put a stop to that.

IH warranty is only two years although I suspect goodwill might stretch it a bit longer as they seem to be a nice company to do business with.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Does your van actually need one, most continental vans don't need one for warranty, only a damp check.
I've never had a hab check on a van I'm more than capable of doing the checks they charge silly money for.
@Lenny HB , they ( marquis) told me I'll need one for warranty, maybe I should read up on it. Looking at the replies £235 sounds a bit steep to me. Thanks for all replies.

Mickey.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
don't forget there is a big difference between a habitation check (test) which just checks everything works and a full damp test, and a full habitation service which should include servicing the fridge, cooker and heating as well. one takes just over an hour, the other 3 or 4 hours. best to confirm what is included in a test before booking

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
don't forget there is a big difference between a habitation check (test) which just checks everything works and a full damp test, and a full habitation service which should include servicing the fridge, cooker and heating as well. one takes just over an hour, the other 3 or 4 hours. best to confirm what is included in a test before booking
There is no servicing to do on any appliance so a waste of money.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Paid £220 for mine at the Auto Trail factory. They took 6 hrs and went through everything finding 2 areas of damp which they will fix under warranty. I consider it money well spent. Have paid more at an authorised dealer though. Very happy with the service and professionalism of Auto-trail.
Cheers
Nik.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back