Hab test tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Nice little 200 miles round trip tomorrow to get my first dealer hab test done after 18 months thanks to Covid . In the interim had an independent who said I had a damp issue , 6 months ago , so I’m a little worried about it /warranty /etc but there is absolutely no sign of damp , bubbling or smell at all .

fingers crossed

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Snap!
Hab check tomorrow. Mine is a 90 mile round trip. Not sure what to do for 3 hours though.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Got mine next Monday 10 mile round trip

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Ruddy eck , failed damp test and now has to come back for repairs later in the year . Another 200 mile drive , probably a train back . Also questions possibly over the warranty as the first check was missed due to Covid . It’s not been a good day

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Ruddy eck , failed damp test and now has to come back for repairs later in the year . Another 200 mile drive , probably a train back . Also questions possibly over the warranty as the first check was missed due to Covid . It’s not been a good day
Force majuere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Extensive damp or minor?
Which area/s did it show? And what was the reading percentage wise?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Auto-trail passed without problems today, year 4.
and mine has passed the last 2 with no issues whatsoever and i’m 100% confident the 3rd will be the same

I feel it’s just as important to go with a local dealer, mine being 25mins away.
I say this as my mate has a Hymer bought brand new done 26,000 miles of which he reckons 10,000 miles has been travelling back and forth to his dealer with issues (major ones).

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Extensive damp or minor?
Which area/s did it show? And what was the reading percentage wise?
Minor , I’m told under the main jab window . I’ll get the reading a little later

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Had ours done today. First one, six months overdue through CV-19. Passed no problem. I hope yours gets resolved quickly. Can't imagine any manufacturer, or dealer, bulking at any warranty issues due to a late service. The bad press they would rightly receive would do them no good at all. I did ask that very question of the dealer (Marquis) we got our Adria from. They assured us all would be okay as it could not come in any earlier.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Mine is at Josh’s Cross, 400 mile round trip (200 twice) as I always leave it with them to take their time. This time, at five years old, it was major service, timing belt, habitation check, repair to the waste water drain pipe and fitting new (to me) AGM batteries. I am happy to travel as I trust them to do a good job. I don’t know how much it will be (including FUN discount for parts) but I know it will be a reasonable amount and they have told me everything is OK😁.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
You don't need to take them to the selling dealer to fulfil the warranty, they just need to be a registered approved workshop and an NCC member.

With all the rain we're having be mindful of damp checks as they can be misleading, also, be aware of how your van is built as external and internal aluminium extrusions and capping along ceilings, floors etc will trigger the radar in a professional damp meter. Damp checks done in the Autumn and winter months are always higher too due to airborne moisture levels.
Minor , I’m told under the main jab window . I’ll get the reading a little later
Are there any signs of ingress or irrigation on the internal wall as there's nowhere for water to go around a Chausson's hab window apart from down the face of the wall and in wet weather you'll always get a damp reading around a window. You need to physically damage the external composite and internal Styrofoam material to compromise it - remember it can't rot - in a Chausson that means damage by a ballistic projectile or heavy side impact..

Compromised window seal? Possibly but you'd see physical evidence, water stains etc.

Any reading up to 16% is fine, up to 20%, take note and recheck at next service up to 24% it's possible that there is some ingress, look for physical evidence. 25% -30% there is a moisture event, anything above 31% and damage (if wood framed) is occurring. 30+ readings are very rare in motorhomes built post 2015.

Chausson's come with a standard 7 year water ingress guarantee so if you have proof of the original readings there shouldn't be a problem.

Many new caravans don't get a damp check anymore, they're not required for the warranty.

Friend of mine owns a conversion and repair company here in Yorkshire and one of the most common things he sees is hab windows left in the locked ventilation position, kept this way to allow natural moisture to dissipate when the van isn't being used. Owners forget to lock them properly. You get damp readings which look like the U.S billboard hot 100.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
You don't need to take them to the selling dealer to fulfil the warranty, they just need to be a registered approved workshop and an NCC member.

With all the rain we're having be mindful of damp checks as they can be misleading, also, be aware of how your van is built as external and internal aluminium extrusions and capping along ceilings, floors etc will trigger the radar in a professional damp meter. Damp checks done in the Autumn and winter months are always higher too due to airborne moisture levels.

Are there any signs of ingress or irrigation on the internal wall as there's nowhere for water to go around a Chausson's hab window apart from down the face of the wall and in wet weather you'll always get a damp reading around a window. You need to physically damage the external composite and internal Styrofoam material to compromise it - remember it can't rot - in a Chausson that means damage by a ballistic projectile or heavy side impact..

Compromised window seal? Possibly but you'd see physical evidence, water stains etc.

Any reading up to 16% is fine, up to 20%, take note and recheck at next service up to 24% it's possible that there is some ingress, look for physical evidence. 25% -30% there is a moisture event, anything above 31% and damage (if wood framed) is occurring. 30+ readings are very rare in motorhomes built post 2015.

Chausson's come with a standard 7 year water ingress guarantee so if you have proof of the original readings there shouldn't be a problem.

Many new caravans don't get a damp check anymore, they're not required for the warranty.

Friend of mine owns a conversion and repair company here in Yorkshire and one of the most common things he sees is hab windows left in the locked ventilation position, kept this way to allow natural moisture to dissipate when the van isn't being used. Owners forget to lock them properly. You get damp readings which look like the U.S billboard hot 100.
Excellent feedback thank you and reassuring. I’ll check the readings first but certainly we haven’t seen any signs of water ingress

Greame.M

Free Member
Feb 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Swift 590
I had my habitation check and service done at the weekend. For a 26 year old lady they found some low level damp at the side, rear window and door. Just needed re sealed, that they kindly did for me.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019

Just checked my damp report . There were 4 “events” left side panel join with floor , fridge grid , internal right hand side join with floor , rear panel join with floor - all 8% or under

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Ours tested for damp few days ago. Booked in to a another for 2nd opinion and full hab check (1st one was only a damp test). Contacted Auto Trail, they came back with a question, i answered now waiting for them to come back again. Sounded positive on the warranty re delay having the check done. Let's see.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Just checked my damp report . There were 4 “events” left side panel join with floor , fridge grid , internal right hand side join with floor , rear panel join with floor - all 8% or under
There are no events...
Your van doesn't have damp. Worry over. As said anything 15% or under is normal. Every damp report should state the differing levels and the proposed action on it.

Here's an example: Broken Link Removed

Most wouldn't even comment on 8% simply write " no areas of concern".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back