Hab door security, has anyone bought one of these? (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Heosafe POS lock

Broken Link Removed
any comments?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nooooooo... Lovely looking bit of kit but pretty expensive and a bit OTT unless you are going to beef up the locks on the cab doors and do some fairly substantial modifications on the plastic windows.. Even the best window locks I have seen are not going to stop even a half hearted attempt at a break in :Sad:

Not willing to post the most common entry method via window on here but it is scary and easy for a thief :Sad:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
They also market one for the cab doors, we had them fitted to our lunar and transfered them to our Bessy...............very good quality, if a bit pricey.

Have to agree the window is the weak point, when last in Spain, a fellow camper went for coffee at the next van, on her return, rear window taken out, TV and cards all gone.....not good.
:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I agree about the windows being a weak link, I'm getting those sleeves that clip over the latches and fit those Milenco alarm thingies.
It's more about security when we're sleeping in the MH. I'd like to fit some deadlocks to the cab doors but I'd have to cut away a small corner of the Remis blind cover.

Me paranoid? :Blush:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
After a lot of research on here & the web we have fitted a Heosafe door lock as we don't have space around the hab door for any other kind of lock than can be locked on the outside when you are inside which can still be opened from the inside as normal. A couple of things to watch for - don't lock yourself out as this could happen quite easily with a Heosafe lock & if cosmetic appearance is really important to you it isn't the prettiest thing! We are waiting for a replacement from Motorcaravanning.co.uk as the paint finish on the back plate is poor on the one we received & the stickers are a bit gaudy & impossible to remove. Other than that it works well (if a little stiff at first), no need to do any drilling & is the only additional hab door lock that we could fit that could be opened from inside whilst locked on the outside. We also have the Lock M Out (search on here for threads with more info about these) additional window handle lock devices which are very good & the only product we found that fills this gap in the market plus Milenco Sleep Safe alarms on the windows, additional Milenco cab door locks, Fiamma door locks for the lockers, locking wheel nuts & a Clutch Claw fitted so we are even more paranoid than Mack100! Hopefully making it as difficult as possible will make any thieves go elsewhere. Also thinking about security etching the catalytic converter, windows & bikes...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No experience of the one you have linked to, but we have these on the driver's and habitation doors. Same make and good quality.
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the installation instructions translation start out ok but goes to pot towards the end. :roflmto:

Assembly instructions:

•unlock the outer lock

•remove the screw covers (using a sharp tool)(photo 1)

•take out the screws (photo 2)

•remove the original gasket of the outer lock place the outer lock through the support plate (photo 3)

•place the safety cover through the support plate′s guiding channels (photo 4) taking care for the cover′s gasket not to be damaged. [HI]At the plate′s arrival carefully push the gasket through[/HI]

•in closed state push the cylinder until it locks itself (photo 5)

•place the outer lock with the on mouned securing lock through the holes in the door. [HI]Screw it afterwards with the inner lock together easy and strengt even[/HI] (photo 6)

•[HI]check for the security cover to easily slide through. Eventually loose the screws. Done.[/HI]

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
All these door locks, and mainly the door catch is nothing more than plastic. The windows and catches are plastic, heki roof light is plastic.
As easy as getting into a poly tunnel......

Craig

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All these door locks, and mainly the door catch is nothing more than plastic. The windows and catches are plastic, heki roof light is plastic.
[HI]As easy as getting into a poly tunnel......[/HI]

Craig

also my argument for night time dead locks and strapping both front doors together hindering escape in emergency.

size 10 boot vs plastic window....no contest

if your vans on fire your last concern should be how much damage you cause on the way out

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You can't always fit these additional gizmos around your hab door as there may not be space on the frame. I found that with the Fiamma item. In the end I put it on the gas locker door to stop my refillable cylinder being swiped.

I have a simple form of internal door security consisting of webbing straps attached to the lock mechanisms with the lock's securing bolts and anchored to the walls or kitchen units, with quick release clips in case we needed to make a rapid exit. If the lock is breached it makes it difficult to pull the door open, by which time the alarm's sounding anyway.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
the installation instructions translation start out ok but goes to pot towards the end. :roflmto:

Assembly instructions:

•unlock the outer lock

•remove the screw covers (using a sharp tool)(photo 1)

•take out the screws (photo 2)

•remove the original gasket of the outer lock place the outer lock through the support plate (photo 3)

•place the safety cover through the support plate′s guiding channels (photo 4) taking care for the cover′s gasket not to be damaged. [HI]At the plate′s arrival carefully push the gasket through[/HI]

•in closed state push the cylinder until it locks itself (photo 5)

•place the outer lock with the on mouned securing lock through the holes in the door. [HI]Screw it afterwards with the inner lock together easy and strengt even[/HI] (photo 6)

•[HI]check for the security cover to easily slide through. Eventually loose the screws. Done.[/HI]

Sounds complicated to fit Heosafe but really quite easy & no permanent damage to motorhome as no drilling!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Agree that if someone is willing to make a lot of noise & effort to smash their way in then these add on security items won't stop that but they will make it a lot harder so hopefully put them off! With regards to being able to get out in an emergency - the Lock M Out only take a second to pull off the window handles & with the Heosafe the door lock operates exactly the same with no delay from inside but just remember not to shut it behind you as unless you have the keys you will be locked out...

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
why dont ya just put a load of razor wire around ya perimeter and maybe a gun turret
also 2 dobermans with the laggy band on their dicks not sure but maybe u will be safe :Smile:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Everyone has their own choice to make regards to security - lots think no point they will get in anyway & do less damage if less additional security & some who will try & cover every angle possible to make it more difficult risking more extreme damage if entry is attempted. In my experience people normally go for the easy option so think it's best not to make it easy for crooks & if something does happen at least we will have done our best to prevent it.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Everyone has their own choice to make regards to security - lots think no point they will get in anyway & do less damage if less additional security & some who will try & cover every angle possible to make it more difficult risking more extreme damage if entry is attempted. In my experience people normally go for the easy option so think it's best not to make it easy for crooks & if something does happen at least we will have done our best to prevent it.
Quite agree, as I said earlier it's really for when we're asleep in the MH particularly on a stellplatz or an aire.
It's been drummed into me often enough on here that if they want to get into the van ............etc. etc.
That's pretty obvious and I'm not talking about turning it into Fort Knox, just sensible precautions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back