Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never having ever even heard of a "habitation check" before joining this forum I assume that a "check" is NOT a service.

The person just checks everything is ok?

He doesn't actually fix faults?

Right?

So you need a gas leak checking thingy, a damp meter and a multimeter.

So the person checks for any gas leak, prods around with a damp meter and switches everything on and off.

Then you hand over £100+.

I have just had a good idea for a new income stream.

Should disaster strike and my vast fortune erodes away to nothing and my people stop handing me my little "tastes" I will be offering habitation checks at QMJ through out the season.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Then change your insurers.. Any insurer that tries to dictate to me how I spend MY money can go and do one .. perhaps you should ask if they are going to do it free for you.. After all, it is THEY who are making the demand.

It isn't dictating, simply their requirement. As you say we could change if we wanted to. They might well do it for free if we coughed up an extra £150 premium ::bigsmile:

Seeing as gas is dangerous stuff and I don't know enough about it to be sure, it's worth it to me. Same with several of the other checks undertaken. I'll always do things myself that I have competence in but I have no qualms about paying a professional when I don't.

EDIT. Besides, we are happy with the insurer after the excellent way they dealt with us when our previous van was written off ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
anyone know of a mobile habitation engineer

anyone know of a mobile habitation engineer,near cheshunt en8 whose registered ??
i used to use one from essex, but lost his details, graham was his name anyone know him?
george

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It isn't dictating, simply their requirement

Is that not nitpicking of the first order ? Sorry Graham, but if you said no to this 'requirement', they are either gonna charge more for EXACTLY the same level of service, or refuse cover.

More than a little extreme I know but when Mussolini made it a requirement of his people to side with Germany in 1940, that did not make him any less a dictator !!

On the other hand, members of fun are required to party on down if they want to have fun.. but it is not a dictate and you can opt out at no cost ...

The company are, without any doubt, dictating terms..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never having ever even heard of a "habitation check" before joining this forum I assume that a "check" is NOT a service.

The person just checks everything is ok?

He doesn't actually fix faults?

Right?

So you need a gas leak checking thingy, a damp meter and a multimeter.

So the person checks for any gas leak, prods around with a damp meter and switches everything on and off.

Then you hand over £100+.

I have just had a good idea for a new income stream.

Should disaster strike and my vast fortune erodes away to nothing and my people stop handing me my little "tastes" I will be offering habitation checks at QMJ through out the season.

JJ :Cool:

But JJ, based on your existing tariff, that is not going to raise an awful lot of moola now is it ?? !!! :winky: ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is that not nitpicking of the first order ? Sorry Graham, but if you said no to this 'requirement', they are either gonna charge more for EXACTLY the same level of service, or refuse cover.

More than a little extreme I know but when Mussolini made it a requirement of his people to side with Germany in 1940, that did not make him any less a dictator !!

On the other hand, members of fun are required to party on down if they want to have fun.. but it is not a dictate and you can opt out at no cost ...

[HI]The company are, without any doubt, dictating terms.[/HI].

No more or less than any company which trades on standard terms and conditions.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Just had ours done by a Hymer dealer to preserve the warranty

Dealer quoted service on most makes £180 + vat

Hymer service £330 inc vat less £30 discount for Hymer club membership.

The difference is accounted for because the underside has to be re coated, the sticker for the warranty is attached to the tin of paint/underseal.

By the time the warranty expires, it will have had 7 coats of paint underneath!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As a matter of interest, how many who have an annual hab check have their house wiring, plumbing, gas and damp checked ??

If you do not, then why not ???

Mainly because my house doesn't bump and bounce along seven or eight thousand miles of continental roads every a year! :winky:

That's the key difference. :thumb:

Mike

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
It's unlikely i will be having Habitation checks, well not by anyone else :winky:

Check out my previous :thumb:

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
We have -unbelievably - had our MH for nearly a year and are beginning to think of having the first service /hab check carried out . we have go have this done to preserve the warranty. My question is, do we have to go back to the dealer we bought it from - Alan Kerr, Paignton, or can we look for someone nearer to home? We do have a couple of issues. Would going to a different dealer mean they would be less interested in work we want done under the warranty? I think. I read on this forum recently that someone had gone to a service agent in Poole they were pleased with .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Enjoying reading all this stuff about habitation checks and warrantys, as I did my own self build I don't have to worry about it. One of the reasons is that as far as I am aware, and I am pretty much aware, there are no serviceable parts in any of the appliances, no filters to change, nothing. If your Dometic fridge stops working after 18 months or so then you contact Dometic and so on.
And another thing, several years ago we bought a new Autosleeper and Autosleeper confirmed to me that the lack of a habitation check does not affect the warranty. A few years later we bought a new Chausson and the same result from the dealer who admitted the same.
It may be good practice to have a habitation check but I would negotiate a reduced fee for having a gas pressure test done and a damp check.
As a self build and for insurance purposes I used my regular plumber to test the gas and give me a certificate and the same with the electrics.

Tin hat time.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Enjoying reading all this stuff about habitation checks and warrantys, as I did my own self build I don't have to worry about it. One of the reasons is that as far as I am aware, and I am pretty much aware, there are no serviceable parts in any of the appliances, no filters to change, nothing. If your Dometic fridge stops working after 18 months or so then you contact Dometic and so on.
And another thing, several years ago we bought a new Autosleeper and Autosleeper confirmed to me that the lack of a habitation check does not affect the warranty. A few years later we bought a new Chausson and the same result from the dealer who admitted the same.
It may be good practice to have a habitation check but I would negotiate a reduced fee for having a gas pressure test done and a damp check.
As a self build and for insurance purposes I used my regular plumber to test the gas and give me a certificate and the same with the electrics.

Tin hat time.

Mike

Hi Mike we are on the same page on self build :thumb: but unless your plumber mate done a lpg course his certificates are not worth the paper written on :Smile: I have half dozen plumber mates and not one has done lpg course simply no call for it :winky: never needed any certs for my insurance etc.
Terry

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mike we are on the same page on self build :thumb: but unless your plumber mate done a lpg course his certificates are not worth the paper written on :Smile: I have half dozen plumber mates and not one has done lpg course simply no call for it :winky: never needed any certs for my insurance etc.
Terry

The one I use is qualified to cover mobile installations with LPG so it's okay.
There are quite a few insurance company's who require these certificates so you have more options and its also piece of mind especially on the gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back