Hab check and all those extra things that need fixing (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
When we took our van for it's habitation check this year, we got a list of things that needed fixing.

Apparently the hose from the LPG (external) filler was rubber and may be out of date, it was supplied 3 months previously from Gasit.

The AES fridge wasn't auto selecting which supply it should use, well it was before and after the hab check, it's just a little slow doing it.

The rear tyres were 'badly' cracked, as it had just been MOT'd and passed, why were the Camper people saying other wise ?

The gas pipe to the fridge was leaking, somewhere as there was a drop in pressure, and I was quoted a full days labour to trace and replace it, I traced the pipe and it was still shiny and in almost new condition, (the pipes are like hydraulic brake lines). I suggested a joint that needed tightening up, which it was, on the valve.

Okay some things need doing, but are these people looking for work ??

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
And how much did it cost for that waste of time?
As I live in the Highlands, it was about £200. There are only a few places we can go to, but I'm coming to the opinion that spending the money on a damp meter would be better value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
After you buy the meter I should start your own hab check business and charge a lot less.
For £200 I would expect a days labour, I suspect it would have taken them less hour!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In fairness, a habitation service, if done as it should be, will take several hours. You could of course do it yourself and maybe take longer. What you paid for was an impartial, thorough check of specific components. Tyres, for example, may pass an M.O.T. at a garage but your habitation check should also have checked the date of each tyre and offered an advisory note where applicable. Minor cracks in the tyrewall could be cosmetically ok but in combination with a date over 5 years, should be pointed out.
You paid for and got an honest report I feel. As for the leaking gas, it could have been anywhere and the habitation report did not include repairs or time to seek out possible leakage points which would have made it even more expensive.
You were not bound to do anything following the check but at least you know where to start.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I paid £230 in the South of Scotland and was quoted £1500 for remedial work to replace a damp wall board. I dried the wall board by putting the heating on for a couple of days, found a tiny leak and fixed it. Saved the cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The gas hose should have a date on it, either a "change before" date or the date of manufacture.

We had a pair of hoses renewed in France this year at a cost of 82€. When we returned home I visited our local Calor depot to change a cylinder and saw the hoses on sale at £12 each!:mad:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've never had a hab check on a van, IMO a waste of money I'm more than capable of finding faults and fixing them myself, I do understand not everyone capable of doing it. I only have the damp check done for the warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back