Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
After the fire many, many trees, including very tall ones, on QMJ died but are still standing. Mostly pines and eucalyptus but some oaks too.

20180919_113059.jpg

As one or two VIP Funster Guests might visit quite soon, and as I have to get it done some time anyway, I have just negotiated (in Portuguese) with my "tree man" who has not only agreed to do the work, but to cross my palms with some cash too.

20180919_113146.jpg

The little ones I have to deal with... loads of logs soon.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What do you want logs for JJ. Are you putting a woodburner in the classic, soon to become American RV Hymer :).

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Its a shame to have to take them down...
Are you sure they wont come back to life eventually?
Ive been amazed in the past at hedges and trees that had been supposodly killed by fire or frost come back to life some years later...
Andy...

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is he digging the stumps out ? If not then you really want them left about 1m above ground so they can be chained & dragged out with a machine or tractor.

I've asked him to leave them high enough for me to use as seats for me to take rests on as I stroll around my empire...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Its a shame to have to take them down...
Are you sure they wont come back to life eventually?
Ive been amazed in the past at hedges and trees that had been supposodly killed by fire or frost come back to life some years later...
Andy...

Some have (and will survive the cull) but the dead ones go to the toilet paper factory!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Trees that did not survive in our area need to be cut as soon as possible as they will rapidly start to decompose. You may as well get something for the timber while it still has a value, albeit somewhat reduced value because of the market glut. Our neighbour has decided to use his for firewood for himself as he said the selling price is abysmal.

Wouldn't you know it, the dreaded eucalyptus trees are the only ones sprouting. They are cutting all the pines down our track that got burnt, I suppose the oaks will be next. We are getting a lot of open spaces now in our area, it's a shame but we do have better views of the mountains. I wonder if they will plant new trees other than eucalyptus. The new eucalyptus that were planted after the fires last October are already 2-3 metres high.

We cut down the burnt pines on our land just after the fire, the ones that were not burnt, some blew over in the wind, the rest we cut down because they had processionery caterpillar nests. We are replacing them with Mediterranean cypress as they are supposed to be fire-resistant. Let's hope we don't have any more fires to prove it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I noticed the proliferation of Eucalyptus trees when we were in Portugal. It seems to me to be daft. Do they not understand the volatility of the gases given off by the oil when it is hot?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It seems to me to be daft

Daft it may be but folk need to live. My people tell me that the (fast growing) eucalyptus trees provide money in a shorter time than anything else.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But not if it burns down surely?

Well... we have had one really, really bad wild fire around here in the last 100 years. All the big trees have been cleared away for miles around. The eucalyptus "trees" regrow from the roots of the old ones and will, I guess, be harvested well before they reach too high.

I reckon it is the undergrowth and years of old pine needles that caused most of the problems. Not much of that around here these days.

We'll see.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The big mistake was NOT clearing up the leaf litter and the spindly new growth under the trees, this helps the fire to catch and spread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back